Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 09:27 AM   #1
117000miles
AF Newbie

Exclamation Trying to Avoid Being Ripped Off

Hello. As you can see from my post count, I am a newbie. I hope there's someone here who may be able to help me. Here's the deal. I have a 1996 Hyundai Elantra with about 117,000 miles on it (hence my screen name). Of late I've noticed an awful sulphur stench, like rotten eggs and the check engine light is on. A few years back, the Elantra for my year was recalled due to exhaust problems and the dealership pretty much had to replace the whole system. (I think?)

Anyway, I took my car to a mechanic who ran a diagnostic. He told me that the problem could be solved in one of two ways. He said I should first try the least expensive way ($400) and replace the dioxide sensors. If that didn't work, however, he said I'd need a new catalytic converter which would run me an additional $1,000. The wrinkle is that my state requires an emissions check prior to renewing your car registration. My birthday is early next month and I don't have a whole lot of time or money for that matter. Obviously, I can't pass the test with a "check engine" light illuminated.

My question is: Is there really a chance that changing out the dioxide sensors will cure this sulphur problem, or do you think the mechanic is trying to pull the wool over my eyes? With the mileage I have on my vehicle, replacing the catalytic converter may not be worth the expense. The car is not even worth $500, and I may be better off taking advantage of these end of the year blowouts at the Hyundai dealership and putting that $1,000 toward a down payment on a new car.

Sorry so longwinded...
117000miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:27 AM   #2
Accuracy*1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Trying to Avoid Being Ripped Off

first off a cat should not cost you 1,000 bucks... if i were you i would put a fat cat or (high flow) on you car they are not expensive and you still will be able to pass emissions... Now that could or could not solve the rotten egg prob but i would start there ... now on your check eng light i would go to a hyundai web site and get the ecu codes and then get the code your ecu is throwing and go from there... Or just sell your hyundai and get a honda!!!
Type R Cams
AEM Cold Air
DC Headers w/full Apexi N1 Exhaust
Fields AFVC
Excel Wheels
Skunk2 Coilovers
Full Mugan Flared Kit

Check out my ride at

http://members.cardomain.com/accuracy1
Accuracy*1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
-Jayson-
AF Enthusiast

Re: Trying to Avoid Being Ripped Off

the rotten egg smell is from the catalytic converter, it uses sulfer in their somehow. It could just be the converter is going bad or the gas you put into it. I noticed if i put Citgo gas in my car i get that smell really bad. Also a catalytic converter shouldnt cost more than 200 bucks. And the sensor is even less than that. That mechanic is trying to take you for a ride, go elsewhere.

SouthEast Ecotec Enthusiast
-Jayson- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
117000miles
AF Newbie

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for your responses! The mechanic quoted me $1000 for parts and labor. But if, as you say, the converter should only run about $200 or even $300 tops, I can't imagine labor costs being high enough to run the bill up to $1000. I'm going to call around tomorrow and get some more quotes. I'll also try using a different gas. Thanks again!
117000miles is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical