Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Mark VIII
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
bribri10307
AF Newbie

Question 96 Lincoln mark viii wont start

I have a 96 lincoln mark viii and lately its been having trouble starting. the majority of the time it starts, but on occassion it just keeps turning over but doesnt start. the other night, i had no power at all, but the next day it started perfectly fine after playing with the battery cables. What could be wrong????
bribri10307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
ronaldk
AF Regular

Re: 96 Lincoln mark viii wont start

sounds like you may have two problems one easy the other more of a challange. the easy one would be no power- pull both terms off batt clean with wire brush on both batt and cables reinstall and tighten. that should fix no power no turn over. next and it really at this point doest matter what size eng because all gas engines need air mixed with fuel going in compression spark to egnite and exhaust unrestricted. so when car turns over but doesnt start you need to know if there is fuel at least at fuel inject rail and or is there spark .one of these will not be present when car turns over yet no start. repost when you know whats missing and then eng type would help
ronaldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:05 AM   #3
mikemark8
AF Newbie

for the hard starting problem when it cranks but doesn't want to run, Marks have a tendency to need the crank sensor replaced or possibly just removing and reinstalling the connector (after cleaning it up)-facing the engine from the front of the car, it is at the 7 o'clock position of the crankshaft pulley, next to the air conditioning compressor. If you replace it, you need to jack up the right (passenger) side (don't forget to shut off the air ride switch), loosen the serpentine accessory belt, loosen (don't have to remove) 3-10mm bolts that hold the ac compressor to the engine and remove the 8mm bolt (easier done from up top IMO) that holds the crank sensor to the block. A new sensor is about $25 and it is a 30 to 45 minute job, I have owned a couple of marks and found that it solves stalling or erratic starting problems on both. Hope this helps.
mikemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
bribri10307
AF Newbie

thank you very much, I appreciate the help but I think we have decided to just put it in the shop, rather than trial and error, we already tried spark plugs wires and the coils, so at this point spending more money on things that are perfectly fine is just pointless, but again thank you very much!!!!!!
bribri10307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
spree
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribri10307 View Post
thank you very much, I appreciate the help but I think we have decided to just put it in the shop, rather than trial and error, we already tried spark plugs wires and the coils, so at this point spending more money on things that are perfectly fine is just pointless, but again thank you very much!!!!!!
I wish you would have told us what the problem was! I had the same problem and it was the fuel pump. Replaced the pump and been running fine for 3 years now
spree is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Mark VIII