Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
blkmonday
AF Regular

Service rsc now!

I have an 08 with 95k 4x4 limited and last night my service rsc light kept going off along with the abs and traction control light. I took it to pep boys today (Sunday not much open) to get it scanned. All they had was a low level scan tool that pulled no codes. Do I have to go to the dealer to get it scanned? At 90k I would think the odds are good it's the front wheel bearing assemblies or the speed sensors triggering it off. I'm trying to avoid the dealer....would it be wise to replace my hubs and see if that's what's up?
blkmonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Service rsc now!

You do not need to go to a dealer, but rather find someone or an independent shop with a professional grade scan tool with the ABS software.

You might be lucky enough that the $200ish OBD2 + ABS scan tool that Harbor Freight sells will be able to read your truck's diagnostic codes. Depending on how much you're willing to spend, the DS708 available through Harbor Freight definitely will (I have one) but even the dealer wouldn't charge as much (for a single visit anyway) as that the DS708 costs.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Service rsc now!

Throwing parts at a vehicle without proper diagnosis first is just asking to throw money away. I had abs issues on my Grand Prix once and if I had thrown hubs at it I would have wasted lots of money since it turned out it was simply a broken abs wire found once I looked the car over.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac