Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RAV4
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
harkauto
AF Regular

Oil change frequency confusion

I have a 2017 Toyota RAV4 with a 2AR-FE engine in it.
The Toyota website recommends the oil be changed every 6000 miles or 1 year for this vehicle. However, the Toyota dealership, where I have all my service work done tells me it needs changed every 10,000 miles.
10,000 miles seems like a lot of miles between oil changes to me. I am wondering which is correct?

Thanks,

harkauto
harkauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Oil change frequency confusion

I would absolutely never wait 10k miles to change any oil on any vehicle. 6k miles is a perfect interval.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #3
harkauto
AF Regular

Re: Oil change frequency confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
I would absolutely never wait 10k miles to change any oil on any vehicle. 6k miles is a perfect interval.
I am feeling the same way. According to the official Toyota service schedule manual for my 2017 RAV4 they recommend oil to be changed at 5000 miles if driving under harsh conditions such as constant stop and start city driving, making a lot of short trips under 5 miles, extreme cold weather, excessive idling, a lot of driving on dusty roads, or towing heavy loads, etc. etc.
If not driving under these kinds of harsh conditions, the manual recommend changing oil every 10,000 miles.

I agree with you, I think 10,000 miles is way too many miles between oil changes even when driving in ideal perfect conditions and even with full synthetic oil.

The people in my local Toyota service department even tell me that 10,000 miles is perfectly o.k. when using today's modern full synthetic oils.

Call me suspicious, but it kind of makes me a little suspect of Toyota. Are they telling customers this because they want to just sell more cars more often, and they don't want engines lasting 500,000 miles?
harkauto is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RAV4