Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Cosmetics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cosmetics interior, exterior, wheels.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 04:52 PM   #16
Aguapolo17
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Aguapolo17
I actually was driving a 1967 Mustang before I bought my G20. I bought it from the original owner, and they had the paint done in a metallic green in November of 1997 through Maaco. I believe the receipt says it was a $900 paint job. They didn't get the top of the line job, but more like one of the middle ones. It actually came out very nice, and many people would roll down their windows at stop lights and ask me where I got the paint done, because it looked beautiful. The paint is only now starting to chip a little, but very little, and this is 4+ years later. Not bad I think.

But. . . this wasn't in NY, it was in California. :sun:
Aguapolo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 05:07 PM   #17
G20QT
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to G20QT
Angry MAACO IS HORRIBLE!

To all you other G20 owners out there....do not...I'm serious...DO NOT BRING YOUR CAR TO MAACO!!!!!!

Take it from my personal experience. I took my car to Maaco, (and I never would've thought of taking my car there, but was recommended), paid exactly $2000 dollars for the Ambassador Service, which is supposedly the top of the line job they have.
Well...it turns out that I got my car appraised today. And basically, two appraisers told me that because of the horrible job they did, it just depreciated my car up to $4000 dollars!!!!

Can you frikkin believe that crap??????

...uh....still thinking of taking your car to Maaco??
G20QT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 06:20 PM   #18
primera_gte
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to primera_gte
some people have different opinions about paint jobs.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

infiniti factory paint jobs are nice. they're ultra thick and durable, so unless you were in an accident or want some wild custom job, stick with the factory job.

if you have a pre 99 g with dulled paint maybe you should look into getting a buff job.
primera_gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 08:52 PM   #19
G20QT
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to G20QT
You're right. Everyone is definitely entitled to their own opinions.

However, let me just be a little bit more specific on the crap job done.
First off, I purchased my 99 G20 brand new. Because of envious people, it was vandalized. I had no other choice but to get a paint job. It was my poor judgement to bring it to Maaco, who not only painted over dust and dirt particles which leaves the car with "bumps", but they also did a horrible job with the edges as it's chipping off already!

..but...once again...everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
G20QT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 11:05 PM   #20
Yahnozha
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahnozha
Ive never had any personal experienc with macco, but your best bet is to find a small body shop that has a full size paint booth. They will be able to give you more attention to detail and ask for customer references, if they will give them to you, and check out the work they have done....just my two cents anyway.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:51 AM   #21
str8maxn
AF Enthusiast

Please don't get me wrong but macco is only low budget solution to a paint job. If I had to spend anything over $600 I would have looked for a small shop.

I recently painted by 1991 G20 from pearl white to Black only paided $650. (only paid for materials)

I got the paint job at a huge discount becuase by buddies brother did it. So far, Everyone who has seen it likes it.

It's too bad you spend $2000 and still get a sucky paint job. If the insurance company is going to pay for it ALWAYS take it to a Dealer. You are only required to give only ONE estimate in CA for any repairs.

Late.

:bandit:

"My goal is not to be the Fastest. Only faster than you Mr. Honda owner!

My Website

str8maxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 10:45 AM   #22
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by p_r_i_m_e_r_a
MACCO....be very careful!

I had a friend take his car there, and they didn't even mask off 75% of his ride.
When it was done, his radiator was yellow, along with overspray all over his engine compartment.
This subject was discussed on the Rennlist (Porsche) Forum a while back.

Maaco has good equipment in general. You take your chances on the person doing the spraying though. Even if they lay down nice paint, as someone else said, prep is half the job. Laying down the paint is a quarter. As said above, masking is where Maaco usually sucks despite good prep and paint laying.

You can do your own prep, removing components and such and trailering to the shop, they have to do the final mask. Expect overspray everwhere.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 01:32 PM   #23
primera_gte
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to primera_gte
g20qt

don't take what i said the wrong way. i personally wouldn't take my car to maaco. i'm just saying some people are fine with it while others are not. people have different standards. if i'm going to get another paint job, i want it to be PERFECT. so i'm sorry to hear about your paint fiasco.

the prevailing opinion out there.

maaco-hit or miss at best
small independent shops-better

always ask to see the customers's work.

another way to find a good paint shop is find out where dealers like lexus, infiniti, bmw, mercedes, porsche, etc send their customers who have been involved in accidents. but you're going to end up spending a bit more that way
primera_gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 09:42 PM   #24
ERIKbronx
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ERIKbronx
Thumbs up Macco Paint???

Thanx to all who replied. I will not go to maaco and just go to a local top quality shop, and just make a bargain with the guys. When I get my paint job and rims, etc. I will post a few pics, so lookout this spring!

:monkeypis :badass:
ERIKbronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:00 AM   #25
mimi3737
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Maaco Paint

I just had my trooper painted at Maaco here in Hawaii. They did a real bad job. I'm not too sure how others Maaco Companies in other states are, but the one in Hawaii rates a 0 on a scale of 0-10. Here is what happened to me.

1. Wrong color. I requested a blue color and got red.
2. When I complained the owers son got real rude and nasty.
3. There were actual small rocks under the coat of paint. Big enough to see and with in a short time will peal off leaving a big chip.
4. They didn't tape all of my window and the drivers side rubber was painted red.
5. There were serveral drip marks on the hood of my car.
6. They removed the caps to the windsheild wipers and didn't replace them.
7. Some of the tape was still on the car and when I removed yhe tape it pealed the the paint off.
8. I didn't have the inside of the doors painted, they claimed I didn't need to paint it since the orginal color was black, but now I have red all on the inside of the doors.
9. Several deep scratches on the lower part of the car. If I wasn't looking for it I would have missed it.
10. There are red paint over moldings and bumpers. Along the cracks of the tire fenders (plastic) there are collection of red paint, just waiting to be hit and cracked.

I could keep going on but I'm getting angrier the more I type. They said bring the car back in 30 days and they'll repaint it, but after what I saw I don't know if I want them to touch my car. So I cancelled my check. Its not like I'm trying to get oout of paying them, Im just afraid if I don't I'll have no leverage. When I called to let them know not to try and cash the check, the owners son got on the phone and before I could say a word he bagan yelling at me, and threatening to take me to court, then started swearing at me. Then the owner wonders why I'm frightened to take my car back to them. I would have rather paid hundreds of dollars more to have gotten a good paint job. BY THE WAY I PAID $1139.43 . dO YOU THINK I GOT RIPPED OFF???? I HAVE A BIG SUCKER WRITTEN ON MY FOREHEAD.

ALOHA and buyers beware,

Melinda
mimi3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 02:04 AM   #26
buyatoyotatacoma
AF Newbie

Re: Maaco Paint Jobs Any Good?

actually "MONEY" isn't the 'root of all evil'.... it's the "LOVE" of money that is the root of all evil. just wanted to clear that one up for ya.
buyatoyotatacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:15 PM   #27
tyro2001
AF Newbie

well if maaco seems to suck so bad then what is a good place to take a car to be painted?
tyro2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:54 AM   #28
MattBG20t
AF Newbie

www.certifiedfirst.com is a network of independent bodyshops that maintain extremely high standards. Find one near you.
MattBG20t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:57 AM   #29
scrappy2654
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to scrappy2654

i wouldnt go to to macco before they paint the cars the barely tape it up and just tape it up enough to cover some spots that the over spray could get on. the quality of the paint is low grade they buy the cheapist paint there is.so a macco paint job is not wroth the money u want to spend spend extra money and get it done right the 1st time the having to fix the problem later.
scrappy2654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #30
Rowland
AF Newbie

Maaco Paint Job

I have an '81 K10 Chev 4x4 with that wonderful primer peeling paint GM produced in the 80's. I am hoping there is a product that can be sprayed onto it to seal it. I do not want to have to strip the vehicle as it is not worth it. I do not mind doing the prep but I just want a paint job that will last 3-4 years untill I sell this one and buy a newer model. I am hoping the local Maaco dealership can do the job. I have seen a few of thier products and they look pretty good.

Rowland
Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Cosmetics