Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LaCrosse/Allure
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
seventieschild
AF Newbie

2006 LaCrosse transmission slipping in 2nd gear.

I have over a 100k miles and the transmission slips really bad going into second gear. It's worse when the engine is cold and it revs and revs but no shifting until I keep revving the engine and then backing off on the gas. Eventually it will shift into second but it takes a while. Meanwhile I'm coasting down the road. It's like having it in neutral for a while before second gear grabs on. I know this is probably a bad sign and the tranny oil is full but dark in color. I am very mechanical and can probably fix it however I never addressed a problem like this before. I cannot afford much because I am unemployed. Can anyone help with a suggestion?
seventieschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2006 LaCrosse transmission slipping in 2nd gear.

Anytime a transmission slips, that means your clutch packs are wearing due to incorrect pressure applied to them, due to the hydraulic circuit applying the pressure, is having a problem....that could be any number of things.....

If this has been going on for awhile, it just makes the repair more costly.....unless you are a tranny guy and can remove/install and completely disassemble a tranny, there is not much you can do....

About all you can try is, drop the pan......if you see metal in pan, or a lot of clutch material, not much you can do.....if no metal or not a lot of clutch material, replace the fluid and filter......add something like Lucas transmission treatment, and top off with transmission fluid......

When you start the vehicle, let it idle for at least 10 minutes.....let that tranny fluid get warm......this may allow the seals to seal better......then when driving, don't do aggressive accelerating to get up to speed.....doing this may help to extend the life of your tranny, or it may do nothing....but it is worth a shot....

By the way, have you scanned it for transmission codes?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
seventieschild (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
seventieschild
AF Newbie

Re: 2006 LaCrosse transmission slipping in 2nd gear.

Thanks for your response. The tranny is burned up and there is no hope. I need to replace it soon.
seventieschild is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LaCrosse/Allure