Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
Kirsch
AF Newbie

1974 Dodge Challenger Electrical Problems

Hi guys,

I've got a 1974 Dodge Challenger that seems to be having some electrical problems.

Start it off with how it happened.

I was driving home one night when she died in at an intersection. I cranked on it to try and get it to start but it wouldn't turn over. I did so until on the turn of the key everything suddenly died. No power whatsoever. So battery right? I got towed to a nearby gas station and waited for my dad to come. We hooked up the cables and got her started again, but we noticed there was a wire that had come loose (the guy I bought it from messed with all the wiring in ways I will never understand) and was lying on the valve cover. Drove it home and it was fine. The next day on the way to work she died no less than 7 times.

Now the only way to get her started is to run a cable from the positive battery post to the coil, and if at any time that comes off she will immediately die. Also at times the headlights and things wouldn't work... just no power at all.

Current theories are that that wire that was on the valve cover shorted out a fuseable link or that the ignition system needs to be replaced.

Please help!
Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:52 AM   #2
71Cnet
AF Newbie

Re: 1974 Dodge Challenger Electrical Problems

the only fusable link goes from the starter relay on the fender well right behind the battery. if that is toasted, and you will be able to tell, its only five inches at most, you can buy a roll of wire from napa. thats what i would do if you are not sure if it will keep frying after you replace it. other than that year one sells complete harnesses. if the previous owner did alot of "professional work" on the wiring id replace it. if not you will be in my boat with a burnt up mopar. total the wires should run you no more than 400.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:09 PM   #3
terzmo
AF Regular

check to see if the wires from the coil/distributor and alternator are all connected...must of been previously so you might find the other end of the fried wire. That's whre I would start first. You can get a wiring diagram on line...ALWAYS good to have one. See if you have power to one side of the ballast resistor with the key on.....
terzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
turbo maxima
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to turbo maxima

to me it sounds like altinator maybee, if its not working right your battery wont b recharging when u drive, u can go to most auto part stores and get both your altinator and your battery tested to see if something is wrong with either one
turbo maxima is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical