Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > M5
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: What is your dream ride?
BMW M5 39 79.59%
Mercedes-Benz S Class 4 8.16%
Audi S8 (I didn't think so too, but it's reached this point.) 3 6.12%
Jaguar XJ Series 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:27 PM   #31
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

There will NOT be a turbo/supercharged BMW. BMW is all about natural aspiration. Its what seperates them from everyone else. They can make competitive engines without extra aid. That is just one of the things I absolutely love about BMW and makes it great. Audi has turbo and bi-turbo, Mercedes Benz has the supercharger/kompressor, and BMW can beat both. Mercedes still doesnt come close to BMW in preformance, and its taken years for Audi to make a car as good as the M3 (2004 S4), and the M5 (RS6), and it wont be long until BMW beats them again, setting a new standard. There is a reason that McLaren used a N/A BMW V12 in the F1, its simply the best engine they can get.

There are no set facts on the new M5, since it is still officially a concept, but here are some facts on the Concept M5

N/A V10
500 bhp
7 speed SMG transmission

There is also supposed to be a M4 when the 3 series coupes stop production. Most rumors say it will be a 400bhp S4 killer

Down with forced induction, long live BMW natural aspiration!
Old 04-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #32
Silver_M333
AF Newbie

Re: The new BMW M5

Look. I enjoy my naturally aspirated M3 but I see no reason to knock turbo charged and supercharged engines. Forced induction engines are technologically advanced as well. You be stubborn about it but forced induction works!!! What about when cars switched from carburators to fuel injection? People were complaining about clogged injectors and knocking. Turbos and superchargers are main stream technology.

You claim that Mercedes and Audi don´t come close to BMW performance. Check the stats again. 760iL vs. S600. M5 vs. E55. Z8 vs. SL55. If you are talking about power output, Mercedes wins all three comparisons. What about M5 vs. RS6? I know that the M3 still trumps the S4 and C32 in acceleration but there is NO denying that there are worthy competitors out there. Handling is still BMW´s forte but there are other cars out there with a power advantage.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:41 AM   #33
Janet Reno
AF Enthusiast

Power isn't everything. I'd rather not see BMW go into forced induction engines.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:25 AM   #34
SoulBladeZA
AF Newbie

Re: Re: The new BMW M5

Quote:
You claim that Mercedes and Audi don´t come close to BMW performance. Check the stats again. 760iL vs. S600. M5 vs. E55. Z8 vs. SL55. If you are talking about power output, Mercedes wins all three comparisons. What about M5 vs. RS6? I know that the M3 still trumps the S4 and C32 in acceleration but there is NO denying that there are worthy competitors out there. Handling is still BMW´s forte but there are other cars out there with a power advantage.
The S600 is a bi-turbo 6.0 V12. Can't really compare that to the 760Li which has a standard motor - not meant for racing as the ///M motors are. The E39 M5 is 4 years older than the E55. The E60 has more HP than the E55 so there goes that one. The M3 is faster than the C55, C32 and S4, even more so on a track.

Now where does BMW get beaten?
Old 11-02-2004, 11:01 PM   #35
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Old tread...

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > M5