Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
jeepmountain
AF Newbie

2004 Quest SL - Rear Brake Pads

During my most recent trip to the dealer's service department they mentioned that the rear brake pads need replacement. My initial reaction was, "How could this be on a 2004 with only 22k miles?" They mentioned the front pads were fine so I was also surprised that the rear brakes had a higher wear rate compared to the front brakes. In my experience the front pads are normally the first to go. The dealer mentioned that the front brake pads are thicker than the rear pads on the Quest. My van has 4 wheel disc brakes. I do realize that brake wear depends on many factors but I guess I am wondering if others have experienced rear brake replacement so early? The service dept wants $280 to replace the rear pads.
jeepmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
dtownfb
AF Regular

Re: 2004 Quest SL - Rear Brake Pads

That does seem odd. The Quest does have Electronic Braker Distribution for hard braking. It applies the force to all 4 brakes during emergency braking. During normal braking the front should do most of the work.

If you only need brake pads, any mechnic can do this work for you for much cheaper than $280. I would shop around.
dtownfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
FixUrNissan
AF Regular

I have found that on Most newer Model nissans, the Breaking system has been changed on how it works.. It seems to apply more equal pressure to all 4 wheels vs more to teh front than the rear. More so on the quest becasue of it's size . It has to be able to react in a breaking mannor as if you had a car full of people. and not nose down so much when breaking. It does this by applying more equal pressure to all breaks. I understand you just got this car and i asume you brought it used. You don't know what kinda driver had it before you. Alot of stop and go City like driving will wear breaks out faster than the person putting more miles on ther car driving the highway to work.

If you have any more questions you would like to ask me regarding your quest feel free
FixUrNissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
FixUrNissan
AF Regular

I have found that on Most newer Model nissans, the Breaking system has been changed on how it works.. It seems to apply more equal pressure to all 4 wheels vs more to teh front than the rear. More so on the quest becasue of it's size . It has to be able to react in a breaking mannor as if you had a car full of people. and not nose down so much when breaking. It does this by applying more equal pressure to all breaks. I understand you just got this car and i asume you brought it used. You don't know what kinda driver had it before you. Alot of stop and go City like driving will wear breaks out faster than the person putting more miles on ther car driving the highway to work.

If you have any more questions you would like to ask me regarding your quest feel free
FixUrNissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
jeepmountain
AF Newbie

Thanks for the follow up. I personally purchased the Quest brand new back in October 2004 so my wife and I have been the only drivers of the vehicle.

I took it to my normal mechanic to take a look at the brakes. He confirmed that the rear pads were worn and replaced them for $120.

I guess I am still concerned with the rate of wear on the back brakes relative to the front pads. The only thing that my mechanic and I could think of was that the parking brake may have remained engaged at some point. Although, we rarely use the parking brake.

Has anyone else had brake pads replaced on their 2004+ Quests? If so, how many miles were on the vehicle? Are you a city driver or a highway driver?
jeepmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
dtownfb
AF Regular

I'm about 2-3 months form needing ot replace the rear brake pads. The braking system in the Quest is the Electronic Braking Distribution which as Fixu mentioned, applies equal pressure to all 4 wheels during braking. It helps the van stop more securely and you avoid the "nose dive" during hard braking. The downside is the rear brakes work harder than most of us are used to and need to be replaced more frequently. My only advice would be to get quality brake pads which I am sure your mechanic used.

As far as I can tell your van is normal. I have read on other forums of owners replacing rear brakes in your time frame.

I bought my 2004 Quest in Dec. 2004. We have just about 37k miles. Lot of highway driving the first 15 months. More city and short trips the last few months. Some nagging problems but still love the van.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
dcewolf
AF Newbie

We've had our Quest since July '04 new...now has about 38k miles. Rear pads don't need replacing yet however just had front pads replaced. Got some ceramic pads through partsamerica.com (advance auto parts) and have about 1k miles on those...so far so good.
dcewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
fedupalready
AF Newbie

I bought my 2004 quest in October 2003. I had to have the rear brake pads replaced at 20k miles. The dealer asked if I rode with the parking brake on (NO!) and said that the front brakes should have worn first. I paid $250 to have those rear ones replaced. I also had to have all four tires replaced within one year of buying the van.

Fast forward to 39,000 miles. I just had the brakes inspected by a local garage after feeling brake problems (I assumed that this must have been the front brakes now). Well, bad news. Not only are the front brakes worn, but the new rear pads are gone as well!! Also, my front right CV joint is ripped and grease has been leaking for a while. Mechanic says it is affecting the axil of the van. Not only that, but I also need new tires again, and they have to be special ordered because this van only wears one type of tire. I called my dealership and of course the service guy said that I am out of warranty because I am at 39k miles. I said "I don't think I need to remind you that all 2004 Quests have extended warranties." He then said "oh, yeah...well I still have to check to see if this cv joint problem is covered, but I know the brakes are not."

I have absolutely had it with Nissan. My driving habits and patterns are like those of the average person, nothing excessive. The van still makes strange engine noises and the dealer couldn't figure it out. I am seriously thinking of selling very soon.

Last edited by fedupalready; 06-26-2006 at 08:28 PM.
fedupalready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
dtownfb
AF Regular

Get Nissan to take care of the CV joint unde warranty.

Get new tires but do not use the OEM goodyear. For the price, they are nto good tires. Move up to 235/60-16 tires. Many peopel who are replacing the OEM are moving to this size and are finding a better selection and cheaper prices. Nissan will not recommend changing tire sizes becasue they cannot deviate from the original specs. But any knowledgabel tire shop will be able to help you.

had to replace my rear brake pads as part of the annual inspection. I am at 39k miles as well. Get aftermarket brake pads that your mechanic is comfortable with and you shouel be fine. If you have to replace the rotors, ask if he has thicker rotors that he would recommend. You'll probably get much longer life with the aftermarket brake components. And they are cheaper.

Good luck.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena