Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 09:15 AM   #46
oToyotaGTo
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to oToyotaGTo
Re: Peice Of Junk Hondas

i think its funny how all you muscle heads get so defencive. i mean i dident even say anything bad about muscle cars. there ALL great cars. its all prefrence.
oToyotaGTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:23 PM   #47
dr_mario_505
AF Newbie

Hondas are not bad daily drivers they save gas and they cost nothing to operate, but they are not made for racing, i've seen civics run 8's but they need NOS and engine and trannie swaps and their engines last around 12000 miles while a 1988 camaro with a crate engine dropped into it can run 9's. All i can say is that i beat my friend reese's 1999 civic ex DOHC v-tec with a jeep cherokee which proves my point that hondas are slow and not ment for racing
dr_mario_505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:58 PM   #48
95luder
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 95luder

It's true hondas are decent daily drivers, but then so is any car. I have a 95 vtec prelude, and it still gets 25-30 mpg depending on how hard i push it. Now don't get me wrong, I have respect for the cars that deserve it, not the technicolor crap that cruises around keeping me awake at night. Maybe my car is slow but if so, why am i able to stay nose to nose with the camaros and trans ams? The last camaro I raced i was dead on until he sprayed his friggin nos, and of course he probably felt good beating a girl. I always thought bottles were for babies. Just because a civic ex is slow doesn't necessarily mean the s2k or the lude is a slow car. It all depends on the driver (unless you're in like a hyundai accent or somethin). Cars are cars, love what ya got, and respect other people till they disrespect you.
95luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:42 AM   #49
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Peice Of Junk Hondas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95luder
It's true hondas are decent daily drivers, but then so is any car. I have a 95 vtec prelude, and it still gets 25-30 mpg depending on how hard i push it. Now don't get me wrong, I have respect for the cars that deserve it, not the technicolor crap that cruises around keeping me awake at night. Maybe my car is slow but if so, why am i able to stay nose to nose with the camaros and trans ams? The last camaro I raced i was dead on until he sprayed his friggin nos, and of course he probably felt good beating a girl. I always thought bottles were for babies. Just because a civic ex is slow doesn't necessarily mean the s2k or the lude is a slow car. It all depends on the driver (unless you're in like a hyundai accent or somethin). Cars are cars, love what ya got, and respect other people till they disrespect you.
oo nice car, alot of people looking for it, my car isn't all that fast, and since its a friggin family sedan i don't expect it to be, instead of speed i concentrated on audio just to find people that had a bad day, and bump music to piss them off, so even if u burn me you'll need to be blocks n blocks away before you can't hear me hahaha
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 04:25 AM   #50
DkShadow
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95luder
Mods please? What year F-bodies?

Quote:
alright, back in the post i saw someone making fun of a civic reving to 6k. have you ever seen the Spoon civic? it revs to 12k, 2 times more than your clear "estimate".

the thing is....

Muscle cars = hard steel, power. meaning that its all beef, little technology. just the pistons, and block, thats all they do.

import cars = technology. they have more than the engine powering them, like high tech ECUs, and turbos.

its all about what you want, your personality. do you want low-tech, plain power, or hi-tech, advanced power.
Hi tech ECUs...

Dude youd probably shit your pants trying to work on a Modular engine.
DkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:03 AM   #51
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Firstly, I'd just like to thank all you people for showing some common sense and not using the "D" and "I" words, however you still are divided into two mindsets.

Firstly, to the person with the Oldsmobile- I'm very glad you are happy with your car, but I'm sorry there is little chance of an Alero being able to handle like a Civic or even a 5th Generation Accord, the car is too big and heavy to be able to match either one in the handling department, add to that, the Suspension of most US designed sedans being extremely soggy (This includes the USM Accords, Camry's etc.) While the Civics are rather light car, while being nimble and having a rather nicely set up suspension (Let down by the latest one, though). Unfortunately there is no arguing with Physics, the lighter car usually does handle better.

btw, 6 Cylinder Pushrod engines are a joke in my experience. I've rented countless Holden Commodores with the 3.8 Litre Buick V6 and even with the Commodore being Rear Wheel drive, the car still felt unresponsive and weak (and I really did drive it like a Rental car ). A Supercharger helps, but OHC is ultimately superior when working with any less than 8 Cylinders.

I'm simply stating the obvious by saying V8's are easier and cheaper to get power from and a 500bhp V8 will last longer than a 500bhp 2.0 Inline 4 but anyway....

Pushrod V8's however are most certainly good engines if you want a flat torque curve and don't like downshifting everytime you leave a corner.... However I certainly don't like my car running out of puff below 5000rpm and if I wanted to make an LS1 rev higher, then the car would become impractical because it would be awful to live with when it's running at low revs...

Enter VTEC, The engine runs like normal down low, yet hit a certain amount of REV's (Varies from car to car) and the car really comes out to party, going all the way to 9000 RPM in some cases, before running out of puff. I really quite like downshifting to get more power as well, it's far more involving for the driver and keeps the driver on his/her (Because there are good woman drivers out there ) toes.

Also building a Honda is a hell of a lot more for the thinker than building a V8, if you're serious about getting more power. The Honda builder has to find a way around the fact that his car has 1.6 - 2.2 litres, whereas a monkey could make a Pushrod V8 run impressive times at the strip (as much as I hate drag racing). So wouldn't building a Honda be more rewarding ultimately?

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:12 AM   #52
accord-uk
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Peice Of Junk Hondas

Welcome to the uk. Petrol is expensive the roads (straight ones anyway) are over-policed and full of cameras. The alternatives are B roads - No police/cameras but very narrow and full of the twisty stuff.

I have two cars; a Honda Accord type R which seems to be on the recieving end of all you boys with their 5 liter V8's knocking out a whole 200bhp - "but lots of torque" Which is about er, the same as my Honda. OK I don't have the torque output, but then it's not a two-tonne, live axled barge and doesn't need it......

My other car would confuse the life out of you boys - It's heavy, it's got a biggish V8 (4 litres -whats that in Cubic Inches?) A supercharger, 4 valve heads and knocks out 400bhp and the same in torque - it'll do 60 in 5 secs and 100 in 13 secs. Whats the average output of 4 litres of American V8 "muscle"?

Here comes the difference, and the point you all seem to be missing. On long straight roads The Jag XJR (did I not mention that) is king. It's stupidly quick for a big car but handles like a barge.

The Honda lives to be thrashed along narrow country lanes and is good for track days - it's light and handles well (it does now anyway) I opted not to have the stupid rear wing and most people think it's a 1.8 sport. It probably wouldn't get near a big block anything that you guys run down a drag strip, but lets face it that's not racing.

If you still fail to understand the relationship between power and weight buy a Lotus.

Oh, and leave the Hondas alone. We have them here too. Stock Preludes and Civic coupes then have big IMSA rear wings, coke can exhausts and ill fitting body kits. They look crap, are driven by twats and think they can out gun a flabby old Jag. Keep those things on the road, just for the looks on their faces as two tonnes of lunacy comes screaming by (straight roads permiting).
accord-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:46 AM   #53
CamaroSSBoy346
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to CamaroSSBoy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkShadow
Are you asian?
How'd you guess?
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 302 H.O, A9L ECU swap, 65mm TB, 73mm Granetelli MAF, FRPP 30lb injectors, Walbro 255, MSD ignition, Powerdyne BD11 supercharger, Efans, T-5 swap w/ FRPP flywheel, Ram HDX clutch and adjustable Steeda clutch quadrant, 4.10 gears, Nitto NT555R radials
2000 OBS Tahoe Z71 6k HIDs, 33" Goodyears. 280k mile daily beater
CamaroSSBoy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:09 PM   #54
panzershreck
AF Regular

i could care less about what car you drive... as long as you take care of it (and if its ugly as heck, sure you can do whatever you like, but just remind yourself everybody else can laugh if they like) and dont just run it into the ground like so many people do...

in any case, i love my E34 bmw 525i with a fuel efficiency M20 SOHC engine... sure it only puts out 168hp/164ft.lbs stock but thats all it needs, everything else is compensated by extremely smooth handling, very smooth suspension, great manual transmission, great body design for added handling and safety, basically it compensates for the lack of drag racing for the ability of overall goodness (wouldn't mind an M5 though)
panzershreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:22 PM   #55
chevydrummer76
AF Enthusiast

Re: small block and big block

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncobray
anyone can build small and big block, most guy build chevy cause they are cheap and easy to make it go fast. Don't take much brain to build chevy. Chevy guys are sort of slow in thinking and talk a lot about nothing, they all talk about how they can beat Dodge and Ford and they never talk about how they got beaten.

People like you are so stupid to generalize people by what they drive. I drive a chevy and I sure as hell am not slow thinking. Chevys small blocks are cheap, reliable, and easy to mod. So it seems the people driving the chevys are the smart ones.
chevydrummer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:33 PM   #56
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC

IMO...every person that starts a thread like this should be banned....enough of these threads to go on for months....but the topic does fit the thread so no complaints....

i've defended hondas enough...i have nothing to say in their defense that i haven'r said 1000 times...but itz all a matter of taste and i say hate the driver and his taste not the car
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:35 PM   #57
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
Re: Re: small block and big block

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydrummer76
Chevys small blocks are cheap, reliable, and easy to mod. So it seems the people driving the chevys are the smart ones.
same with hondas and honda enthuiest (sp)....not exactly on the cheap part though
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:34 PM   #58
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrujillo86
I like how we go from comparing my pushrod to a DOHC engine and you bring up some Ford...

I don't own a muscle car nor will do I own a Ford. But I'll bet you $$ that my American car can corner just as good as any comparable Honda or Toyota.

Jeremy
No It wont.

A Honda Integra Type R
A Honda s2000
A Honda NSX
A Honda NSX Type S Zero
A Honda NSX Type R

WILL EASILY OUTHANDLE YOUR CAR.
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
MexSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:35 PM   #59
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Sorry to repeat whats been said already but im pretty tired of reading these retarded America Vs Japan threads. Its been done, nobodys going to change their minds based on what you've said. This is hopefully the last time I'll ever post this but...

Japan- Theres a reason names like Accord and Camry are liked so much more then Taurus or Malibu. I dont think Ive ever seen a major car magazine say that American sedans are as good as the Japanese in years. The VTEC is an innovative way that Japan competes with America without adding cylinders. They tend to last much much longer then American cars. Toyota is also by far the most valuable car company in the world. The Carolla and the Accord are always the top selling cars in America.

America- Still the largest car manufacturers in the world call America home. Nobody makes a V8 like America, and I dont think anyone else really tries. The Corvette Z06 is simply an amazing sports car. 405 bhp is much more then any stock car until you meet up with the Viper, which has HP numbers close to $200,000+ supercars. The Ford GT is another amazing example that America can make a better car, for less. Last time I saw statistics on this, the Ford Focus is the best selling car in the entire World (mostly because of the Euro market). America has incredible skill at making cars with big engines, low costs, and alot of power and torque.

Its really just a matter of what you want. Less weight, high tech, less power? or more weight, lower tech, more power? Personal preference
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:44 PM   #60
MunG35
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to MunG35 Send a message via Yahoo to MunG35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
Also building a Honda is a hell of a lot more for the thinker than building a V8, if you're serious about getting more power. The Honda builder has to find a way around the fact that his car has 1.6 - 2.2 litres, whereas a monkey could make a Pushrod V8 run impressive times at the strip (as much as I hate drag racing). So wouldn't building a Honda be more rewarding ultimately?
Amen.

V8's are nice...when used right on an M5 or an S4... not on some car that can still compare with my 4 cyl civic.

"There is a replacement for displacement... I believe they call it a turbo."

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General