Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
Bumbadawg
AF Newbie

1973 Ford Gran Torino 5.8L 351W

Hey all,

My name is Joe and I had a few questions about my Gran Torino but didn't see a sub thread for the make.

So, I have an automatic 1973 Gran Torino. The previous owner repainted it, cut the lower dash to fit a cd player, and put a crappy random steering wheel on it. But I have questions as a newb into diy.

Let me begin!

1) Can this be modified to a higher amp one-wire alt. I tried before and burned up the wiring harness to the solenoid. Oops. So, can it be done? Cuz 60 amps suck.

2) I love the original dash but because he cut it to fit a cd player (id go with original radio)--I either need to find the lower replacement, which I cannot find or have a custom dash made to go digital?

3) It has parts for factory ac but didnt come with it. Any ideas on what id need to get it going?

4) The right side vents squeal like hell when defrost or vents are turned on. Blower motor? Any thoughts?

I know I have asked a ton...but aside from a vague Chilton book...I have nothing and few if any shops in my area will touch it cuz of its age.

Thanks,
Joe B from NC
Bumbadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1973 Ford Gran Torino 5.8L 351W

1. The wiring isn't rated for higher, so you'd have to put in higher gauge wire to compensate.
2. '73 wasn't a particularly popular year for Torino. Finding a replacement dash isn't something I'd want to go after. I'd probably weld in a patch panel.
3. The original AC from most '73 would work, but also hard to find. I'd go with one of those new kits they have for classic cars. It will be reliable and have replacement/service parts available.
4. Many a pen/pencil/toy was dropped down the big defrost vents on those cars and caused a fan squeal or two. I'd open it up and see if it is a foreign object or the blower worn out.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Bumbadawg
AF Newbie

Re: 1973 Ford Gran Torino 5.8L 351W

Wow, thanks for the info and quick response!

Ill look into the higher gauge wiring. Ill also check the blower to see.
I appreciate all the info. The dash solution isn't ideal but..I understand what you mean about availability or lack thereof of replacement dash options.

Really appreciate the info.

-Joe
Bumbadawg is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > General Discussion