Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Roadmaster Repair Info for Window Problems

I've developed a problem with both windows on the driver's side of my '95 Roadmaster. First the front driver's window seemed to have slid off the track and wouldn't properly align to close. I ended up having to "guide" the window back in place with one hand while the other hand operated the power window switch. A couple of weeks later, I rolled the driver's rear window down a few inches and a short time later, my daughter got out of the car and slammed the door causing the window to fall inside the door. ( I constantly tell my kids to NOT slam the car doors, but they don't listen ) I tried to raise the window with the switch to no avail.
Now I have heard through others that there are window problems similar to what I just have described that are common to the Roadmasters. The window regulator seems to be the culprit. New ones at the dealer can run upwards of a few hundred dollars. and I've seen some online in the $50 to $70 range. Upon further research I found that the actual problem seems to be a roller the goes bad in the track. It is made of plastic and is of poor design. Many people have found that replacing this roller has solved their problem and saved themselves a lot of money since they didn't have to purchase the entire window regulator.
I was wondering how many members on this forum have had problems with their Roadmaster windows, and how did you solve the problem. I plan to look further into just replacing the plastic rollers, but won't know the extent of the problem until I look at the regulator in question. These plastic rollers can be bought at the dealer, or online (cheaper online @ $22 for a bag of 5) I'm thinking the dealer tells the car owner they need a new regulator to make more money as the price difference between the simple plastic roller versus the whole regulator assembly is so huge.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:40 PM   #2
ilgoldstein
AF Regular

Re: window problem

I haven't had any problem with my widows (yet) but it does seem to be a common problem, and the culpret does seem to bee the guides. The generally accepted solution is to install the rollers, and the fix is very well documented.

Here is a well illustrated guide to the fix:

http://impalassforum.com/tech/interi...wfix/index.htm

Poke around a little and you will see all kind of hints and experiences.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
ilgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Rudy888
AF Newbie

More on Roadmaster window guides

I have a 92 RM and believe the regulator guides (plastic) for the power windows are the same through 1996.

The correct part number is 94-7307 which is the exact replacement for the guides in RM's. PDQ 1-800-434-5141 has these guides. They are packed 5 to a box for $10 plus shipping.

The number shown in an earlier post is a roller for Caprice. I ordered some and learned that while it *might* work as a replacement, it is not the same part used in RM's.

The plastic retainers used in the door panel can be obtained from GMparts Direct (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm) and the part # is 15600382.

For me, the time consuming part was *learning* how to replace the guides. The door panel for the rear doors comes off in 10-15 minutes and I taped the plastic moisture barrier up out of the way. I also drilled out the rivets holding the arm rest support so that I could have good access to the window sash and regulator.

The ends of the sash/slide are crimped and trying to pry an opening so as to remove the broken guide and install a new one is tough. I chose to use a dreml with a small grinder and in under 5 minutes, cleared the rear end of the sash just enough to open up the channel. Out came the broken guide. I tied a piece of string to the new guides because I tend to drop parts down into the door.

Once the new guide is in place, I put a little grease in the hole for the regulator arm ball, used a c-clamp and popped the ball into the guide.

I riveted the arm rest support back into place, installed the new panel retainers and everything was done under in under an hour.
Rudy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: More on Roadmaster window guides

The part # posted earlier I have found works better in the RM as it seems to be a better design,(more rounded, less friction and chance of snapping.) I have spoken to RM owners who have used the Chevrolet part # and have had no problems since installing them. One person did it over 6 years ago. It would seem smart for GM to just use the one part for all B-bodied vehicles and avoid the chance of the Buick guides snapping again because of the design. I don't hear of too many people who own Caprices or Impalas complaining about their guides breaking in the windows as much as RM owners. so it might be the part. I know GM realizes sometimes, that a part they sell isn't working and will come out with an "updated" version, and sometimes not inform the public. Another instance of this happening is the intake gaskets on the 3.4 engine commonly used in the 90s. There was a problem with the gaskets and GM came out in 7/2002 with an "updated" version to replace it because it was better.They didn't mention it to many people and even some dealer's service and parts managers were unaware of the updated version. (So much for intercompany communication.) The parts manager at my Chevy dealer told me that they are using the Caprice guides as replacements for the B -Body cars as they are more reliable. ( In fact when I first called a couple of my local Buick dealers inquiring about the guides, i was told after checking to see if they had any, to go to the local Chevy dealer as he had quite a bit.) In an earlier post, I was thinking about taking some pictures of the broken guide I removed from my RM, and place it next to the new guide to show how much better of a design the new one was, reducing the chances of further breakage.I still have the old guides and a few of the new. maybe if I have time in the near future, I'll take those pictures and post them in this forum.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 10-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Rudy888
AF Newbie

Well, the Chevy donut would have been much better than the brass guides I fabricated. Worked pretty well too but I wanted to get back to what Buick put in there. I'll have enough of each part to fix windows for a while. The way I figured it, the car went 14 years before a guide broke. If the original part I used lasts another 14 years, it won't be me fixing the thing-if the car is even around.

Maybe my son. Or grandson??
Old 10-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
buffman
AF Newbie

they all use the same worthless sliders. the correct updated part is the roller. Much better piece..
buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:42 AM   #7
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

buffman beat me to it. Both my '94 and '96 Impalas have the pink "hot dog" slide/guides, and while they are still available, the real solution is to install the white delrin/nylon rollers. Impala/Caprice regulator channels are also crimped to keep the "hot dogs" in place, but they are fairly easy to open up to remove the broken halves of the plastic.

The rollers aren't as cheap as you might expect. I paid over $5 apiece for the replacements at the dealership.
Blue Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:17 AM   #8
Rudy888
AF Newbie

$5 apiece. Ouch!

At gmpartsdirect.com they are packaged 5 to a box @ $1.74 each piece plus postage for future reference.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:38 PM   #9
buffman
AF Newbie

that's why you call Dal for buying parts.. No more dealership ripoff.
buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #10
kharr
AF Newbie

Re: Roadmaster Repair Info for Window Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97ventureowner
I've developed a problem with both windows on the driver's side of my '95 Roadmaster. First the front driver's window seemed to have slid off the track and wouldn't properly align to close. I ended up having to "guide" the window back in place with one hand while the other hand operated the power window switch. A couple of weeks later, I rolled the driver's rear window down a few inches and a short time later, my daughter got out of the car and slammed the door causing the window to fall inside the door. ( I constantly tell my kids to NOT slam the car doors, but they don't listen ) I tried to raise the window with the switch to no avail.
Now I have heard through others that there are window problems similar to what I just have described that are common to the Roadmasters. The window regulator seems to be the culprit. New ones at the dealer can run upwards of a few hundred dollars. and I've seen some online in the $50 to $70 range. Upon further research I found that the actual problem seems to be a roller the goes bad in the track. It is made of plastic and is of poor design. Many people have found that replacing this roller has solved their problem and saved themselves a lot of money since they didn't have to purchase the entire window regulator.
I was wondering how many members on this forum have had problems with their Roadmaster windows, and how did you solve the problem. I plan to look further into just replacing the plastic rollers, but won't know the extent of the problem until I look at the regulator in question. These plastic rollers can be bought at the dealer, or online (cheaper online @ $22 for a bag of 5) I'm thinking the dealer tells the car owner they need a new regulator to make more money as the price difference between the simple plastic roller versus the whole regulator assembly is so huge.
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PART # FOR THE GM ROLLER TYPE GUIDE, TO REPLACE THE ORIGINAL ROADMASTER GUIDE, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.
kharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

966-6748 is the GM part # for the rollers the last I knew. They were around $1.74 ea. Let me know if that number is still good. And if the Buick dealer doesn't have them try the Chevy dealer as the Impala SS/ Caprice also use these.

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 07-06-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
kharr
AF Newbie

Quote:
966-6748 is the GM part # for the rollers the last I knew. They were around $1.74 ea. Let me know if that number is still good. And if the Buick dealer doesn't have them try the Chevy dealer as the Impala SS/ Caprice also use these.
THANKS FOR THE PART #, I CALLED ONE DEALER AND THEY WANTED $15.00 FOR 1, THEN CALLED ANOTHER AND THEY WANTED $5.00, SO I GOT ONLINE WITH (GMPARTSDIRECT.COM/RESULTS) AND THEY WANTED $2.92 EACH, FOR A PACKAGE OF 5, BUT THEY TACK ON $10.95 FOR S&H, WHICH GIVES YOU A TOTAL OF $25.55, SO YOUR RIGHT BACK AT $5.00 EACH. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS A CHEAPER PRICE ARE BETTER SOME WHERE ELSE, WITH LESS S&H COST.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #13
kharr
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy888
$5 apiece. Ouch!

At gmpartsdirect.com they are packaged 5 to a box @ $1.74 each piece plus postage for future reference.
I TRYED THAT SITE, BUT IT CAME TO $5.00 EACH AFTER THEY TACKED ON $10.90 FOR S&H, THEY HAD A PRICE OF $2.92 PER, IF THIS WAS THE WRONG SITE PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I WENT AHEAD AND GOT TO THE DEALER AND PICKED THEM UP FOR $4.93 EACH. I REPLACED THE ONE IN THE DRIVERS DOOR, AND YOU CAN TELL THAT THIS IS A BETTER DESIGN, THANKS FOR THE INFO. I GROUND THE CRIMP OFF THE END SINCE THE ROLLER NEVER GOES THAT FAR DURING TRAVEL, BUT THE RIVET WAS MESSED UP ON MINE A BIT, SO THE ROLLER WOULD HAVE NEVER MADE IT PAST THAT, SO I HAD TO BEND THE TRACK DOWN A BIT, WHICH WASN'T EASY, BUT WHEN YOU DO THIS IT SEEMS TO MESS THE TRACK UP A BIT, AND THE ROLLER HAD A HARD TIME GETTING PAST THAT POINT AFTERWARD, TRYED TO GET AS CLOSE TO THE RIVET AS POSSIBLE, IF YOU HAVE AN EASIER ARE BETTER WAY, I COULD USE IT. I STILL HAVE TO DO THE PASSENGER REAR WINDOW. THANKS AGAIN
Old 08-14-2007, 12:01 AM   #14
94BUICKRMLMTD
AF Newbie

Hello (first time posting here),

I'm have the same problem with 3 of my four doors (passenger front and rear and drivers rear doors). After removing the door pannels, I saw that the pink plastic clips have broken into 2 parts.

I took a ride to my local dealership (Tyler Chevrolet/Buick formerly Rub Chevrolet/Buick) to see if they had, or could order the clips. I was told that the clips could not be ordered individually and that I had to purchace the window regulators for each door.

Well I was quoted a price of $90.00 for labor for each door and $285.00 for each regulator! runaround

After I scooped my jaw off the service counter, I walked out. Luckily I found this forum through Google.

My plan of action is to replace all of these clips on all the windows. Might as well since the vehicle is 13 years old.

After reading all the posts and have gone to gmpartsdirect.com and searched the site using the provided numbers, the only valid number was P/N: 15600382, for the plastic retainers used hold the door panels on.

Does anyone know the correct part number for the clips?
Thanks in advance!
--
Mike
94BUICKRMLMTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:08 AM   #15
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94BUICKRMLMTD
Hello (first time posting here),

I'm have the same problem with 3 of my four doors (passenger front and rear and drivers rear doors). After removing the door pannels, I saw that the pink plastic clips have broken into 2 parts.

I took a ride to my local dealership (Tyler Chevrolet/Buick formerly Rub Chevrolet/Buick) to see if they had, or could order the clips. I was told that the clips could not be ordered individually and that I had to purchace the window regulators for each door.

Well I was quoted a price of $90.00 for labor for each door and $285.00 for each regulator! runaround

After I scooped my jaw off the service counter, I walked out. Luckily I found this forum through Google.

My plan of action is to replace all of these clips on all the windows. Might as well since the vehicle is 13 years old.

After reading all the posts and have gone to gmpartsdirect.com and searched the site using the provided numbers, the only valid number was P/N: 15600382, for the plastic retainers used hold the door panels on.

Does anyone know the correct part number for the clips?
Thanks in advance!
--
Mike
The part number for the rollers which I quoted above:
Quote:
should still be a good number. Do you have any other Chevy or Buick dealers in the area you can try? Since it's too late at night(or too early in the morning for some) to call my dealer's parts dept to see if that number is good or has been superseded, I'll try in the morning and post back ( when I log back onto this site)what I find out to help you. Funny, those are the same windows I had problems with on my car.

" A Good Thing To Know"

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster