Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Titan
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

Send a message via AIM to ZedEx
Vk56de...

What is the stock rated Horse Power on these new VK56 engines? And Im guessing the compression ratio is at a 10.5:1 setting?

In case you are wondering... A VK56DETT engine is in the brainstorm stage... So Im trying to get some picky work done now before the summer... When its going in a 240Zed, haha

... O and:

FIRST POST

-Wes
-2000 PY Acura Integra Type-R #686 - WhoRe
-1997 EGP Honda Prelude Type-SH - Daily driver

R.I.P Hypsi87:Andy Filson
ZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Vk56de...

Here's some stats I dug up for ya, from Nissanhelp.com.

Horsepower 305 @ 4,900 rpm
Torque (lb-ft) 379 @ 3,600 rpm
Bore & stroke (mm) 98 x 92
Compression ratio 9.8:1

There's room for more potential, considering the compression ratio is so low. It would be interesting to see the curb wieght on an S30 Z after the swap. The L24 is iron block right? The VK may end up weighing less, since it's aluminum block. In comparison, the VQ V6 weighs less than a KA I4, so the same might apply with the L24 I6(it's an I6, right??) and VK56 V8.
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

L24 is an inline six I am sure...

And WOW... Did not know the compression ratio was that low... That is better than I could have planned for.

Do you think that is still too high to run a Twin Turbo set-up off of? Or should it be about .8:1 lower?

9:1 should suffice for a TT system I think.

And yes, the L24 is cast iron... So the VK may very well end up weighing less.

Im still trying to figure out what type of transmission should be bolted up on this set-up... Im sure the adaption wont be easy... But I dont think the stock tranny will be sufficient for this project.

I may end up going 350Zed 6Speed transmission... I dont think the adapter plate would be all that hard to fabricate for those two to mesh.

Anyways, that www.nissanhelp.com website is great, thanks for the source.

-Wes

Old 12-08-2004, 09:17 PM   #4
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Vk56de...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedEx
And WOW... Did not know the compression ratio was that low... That is better than I could have planned for.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty interesting. I wonder if, in a few years maybe there will be a compression bump to offer more power to stay competitive.

Quote:
Do you think that is still too high to run a Twin Turbo set-up off of? Or should it be about .8:1 lower?
The stock compression is probably okay, depending on how much boost you want to run. I think the VK45 runs at least 10:1, and there is a supercharger kit for it that runs either 7 or 9psi. Dropping the ratio to 9:1 should be more than low enough for forced induction.

Quote:
And yes, the L24 is cast iron... So the VK may very well end up weighing less.
I remember the VK's predecessor, the VH, weighing about 520lbs or so. I'm not sure how the VK compares, but that should give you a ballpark figure, considering they're both alloy DOHC V8s.

Quote:
Im still trying to figure out what type of transmission should be bolted up on this set-up... Im sure the adaption wont be easy... But I dont think the stock tranny will be sufficient for this project.
Well, as with the compression ratio, it really depends on how much power you're looking to get. I saw a picture from SEMA the other day of a centrifugally blown and intercooled Endurance. Considering a VK45 with an intercooled s/c setup had an easy 100hp gain at low boost with no other mods, that Endurance is probably making at least 400hp, if not more. The blower may be available as an R-Tune package for the Titan, so if Nissan is willing to offer that, the tranny and compression are probably okay for decent boost.

Glad to help. I want to see more VQ and VK swaps out there!
Old 12-08-2004, 10:28 PM   #5
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

Thanks again dude...

The one thing thats bugging me about the transmission... They didnt make a standard VK transmission, did they?

Automatic may be interesting in this project... And it may be ideal, seeming as the car is going to be a drag car

-Wes

Old 12-09-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Vk56de...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedEx
The one thing thats bugging me about the transmission... They didnt make a standard VK transmission, did they?
Yes...but it's on the Infiniti M45. The 'but' is because not only have they not been around for too long(launched in '02), but also their sales are pretty poor. You might not be able to find one. I've seen less than ten running ones myself, and there are probably even fewer in the junkyard.

I thought maybe the Titan was available with a manual, but Nissanhelp.com says otherwise.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:03 PM   #7
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

I've only seen two M45's in my town... And I have seen every car that has been made, in my little rich prick town (production wise). Hell, I even heard that a Koenigsegg CC8S passed through.

But taking that in mind... It may be better to go automatic anyways. I think it may be fun.

Would it make a huge difference do you think VQuick?

-Wes

Old 12-14-2004, 09:43 PM   #8
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

The difference in trannies might be in the ratios. There's an Infinitihelp.com site too, I think. The ratios might be listed there, and you can decide which would work better.

For example, one thing to look into might be if the Q45's auto tranny has the same ratios as the Titan's. If the Q-ship has better gearing, then maybe you can look into using that tranny instead.

Check the M45's manual, too. It might be worth it, if you like shifting for yourself.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Titan