Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
danz409
AF Newbie

Oil pressure light and overheating

Ok. i recently bought myself a 1998 cavalier, at first it was great. no lights came on. no odd noises. seemed to be running ok. a little rough but good luck buying a car for $2000 that sounds new these days.

after a day or 2 i noticed it was running extreamly hot and the temp gauge kept doping to zero and back up to where it was repeatedly. i soon found out the upper raid hose was collapsed. so i replaced that. and dropped the temp significantly. and even runs normal at lower speeds. but when i hit the highway it goes back up to just the end white line before the red area. doesn't tick like it use to.

also ever since this it was making a "grinding" noise coming from the idler / water pump area. went away after a few min. and comes on and off from time to time. at first i thought it was probably just one of those items. and had planned to fix it when i got the spare cash.

however other signs lead me to think it may be more seareus.

yesterday on my way to work i saw the oil pressure light come on. i pulled over at the next gas station and checked the oil. its just fine. no weird colors and level is just fine. only did this for the first 15 min of the trip. after that it never came on any more that day.

also today i did some driving around. same thing. was on for first few min and went off

could this be just the oil pump? if so i can't seem to find any information on where to locate it. don't know how much of a job this is going to be.

should i just confront the dealer i bought the car from. and bring up the lemon law?
it was a "buy here, pay here" place and was sold "as is"
danz409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
danz409
AF Newbie

Re: Oil pressure light and overheating

*bump* anyone know?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz409 View Post
*bump* anyone know?
when motor cools off enough take rad cap off and and start the car see if it's circulaiting if not you may want to take rad out and take to a shop so they can boil it out to get clean? oil pressure could be your oil sending unit leaking or bad.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
danz409
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
when motor cools off enough take rad cap off and and start the car see if it's circulaiting if not you may want to take rad out and take to a shop so they can boil it out to get clean? oil pressure could be your oil sending unit leaking or bad.
the oil level hasn't changed any at all since i got it. so i don't think its that. however it still runs a little warm at highways speeds and makes a grinding noise from somewhere around the belt from time to time. could it be the water pump?