Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
Gabriel T.
AF Newbie

Question Oil Pressure Fluctuation at Normal Operating Temp

2000 Durango, 5.9 295,000 (km's or miles, live in Canada) using 5w30 royal purple. Bought it used a few weeks ago (price was right and needed a vehicle fast)

Got a question for yall, I have noticed that when the engine is first started the indash oil pressure gauge goes from the first white mark then about 2-3 seconds later it jumps to just above the 275 white mark, and stays there while driving/stopping. But once the engine warms up to normal operating temp, after about 20 mins of driving, whenever I have to stop the pressure drops to half-way between the first white mark and 275, then back up to above 275 as I get moving again.

I'm thinking I just need a heavier oil because it's a high milage vehicle, but
I have read some disturbing things about Dodge and oil pumps/pressure problems, so I'm just looking for advice. I have never really paid much attention to indash oil pressure gauges so I'm not exactly sure whats acceptable. Other than the the oil pressure, the engine runs fine and idles very steady. No other complaints with it.

I have not noticed any sludge in the valve cover or filler cap, and when I changed the oil/filter, the first week I bought it, I didnt noticed any problems with the drained oil.

So what do yall think? Simply wrong oil weight or something more serious? (I've had a string of bad luck lately, and it's made me paranoid, lol) And also, what Brand/Weight oil would yall recommend? Thanks in advance for any help.
Gabriel T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
pkucan
AF Newbie

Re: Oil Pressure Fluctuation at Normal Operating Temp

I don't think you have a problem, based on previous Durango complaints, unless the light comes on or the pressure drops drastically.
For piece of mind you may want to replace the oil pressure sensor which gives info to the ECU and then sends data to the dash pressure gauge.
Basically you are stuck with it as am I, unless you decide to unload it and wash you hands of Durangos.
I also wouldn't expect a lot of posts since this seems to be a read only board as evidenced by the number of reads versus posts!
Good Luck!
pkucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
N8ECH
AF Newbie

Gabriel:

Welcome to Durango ownership!!

I agree with PKU. Sounds like your oiling system is operating properly for a vehicle with that many miles.

Unless you know it has been done recently, you will want to make sure maintenance is up to date.

A good place to start is a transmission drain/refill with filter change. Since you have the 5.9 motor, you have the 46re trans behind that which also requires two band adjustments.

Once that is done, move onto the transfer case for a drain/refill. Then front and rear differentials. RP or Mobil 1 gear oil works well again here.

You will want to use OEM ATF+4 in your trans and transfer case.

Don't forget the cooling system which should be flushed and refilled based upon the type of coolant inside. This should get you started............:0)

Don
Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Gabriel T.
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Oil Pressure Fluctuation at Normal Operating Temp

Yup, first thing I did was get the haynes manual and do a complete tune up - all fluids drained and refilled, filters, plugs, wires, distibutor, ect ect ect, always do with new-to-me vehicles, Going to replace the oil to mobile1 10w30 high mileage and the oil pressure sensor this weekend. One reason I was alittle worried is I'm moving cross country next week, and want ZERO surprises. Thanks for the advice guys, peace of mind is always a good thing.
Gabriel T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
N8ECH
AF Newbie

Gabriel;

Sounds like you are off to a very good start. I wish you well on your big move.

In my opinion, the Gen 1 Durango (98-2003) is the best looking one they made.

I drive a Gen 2 now, and the power of the Hemi is nice. 100hp more than the stalwart 4.7 in my previous 2001 D, and no mileage penalty.

Don

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
durango , oil , pressure
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango