Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 03:16 AM   #16
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge
Re: 1998 Durango How to Improve Fuel economy

I think we built these things, so we should be able to get better mileage out of them without using scientific magical magnets...

Not saying that they don't work, but there must be a better way, like come on!
BleedDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:16 PM   #17
tommychau
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tommychau
Re: Re: 1998 Durango How to Improve Fuel economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4.7
hey you guys all talk about mileage i've never even seen. i have a 4.7 liter durango and i only get 13 - 14 mpg with a cold air intake from airaid. Tons of power but thirsty. I baby it most of the time and mpg never improves. any thoughts?
I have a 00 Durango R/T and replaced the paper air filter with an K&N filter but still using the stock airbox. Don't see how a cold air intake setup would give any better result as I see intake side of the stock airbox is ducted thru the side of the truck so it won't be pulling in hot air from the engine cabin. I noticed about a 1 mpg improvement but that's it. Best I can get on this thirsty 5.9 is 10.5-12.3 city and 13-14 on the highway. Those numbers are based on a super light foot. I hate to see the numbers if I got a lead foot. Haven't found anything else on the web to help increase a couple more mpg's on this 5.9 without spending more in money than you would get in savings on gas mileage.
tommychau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 11:45 AM   #18
rod2envy
AF Newbie

Well, for you guys that just joined the topic I suggest you read from the beginning, I recommend the Fuel Atomizer 2000, even though I havent try it yet because Im waiting on a shreadder valve kit (this is needed when you dont have a fuel return line which is all of us) as soon as it gets here I ll through it on and see the increase it should be some where between -6 MPG increase.

I was also doing some research on it and this fuel atomizer sucks the oil sludge out of the engine and puts it on a little jar outside the engine so that you can change it on every oil change,,, yup two birds with one stone.... you know durangos are infamous for the bad engine compresion and dyieng while running due to excesive sludge on the oil pan so this products if it works like it should it will save Gas and the engine itself... anyways just keeping you posted, the valve should be in by the end of this month and then to me a week later so as soon as I get my hands on it I'll let you know how it went...

A comment on the cold air intake, I have a K&N filter/ Intake and trust me it does makes a difference compared to the box with just a replacement filter, when you installed the cold air filter/ intake it does not have any kind if restrictions whatsoever and part of the install process is to remove a piece of like cloth that seats behind the front grill, this lets the air from the road come straight into the filter giving you that extra cold air power, I know my Intake in combination with a throttel body spacer gave me an extra 3MPG on the city and 2 extra on the Highway, I got a 5.2L SLT thats like 15MPG city 17MPG High Way,,, talk about some money in your pocket... anyways I'll let you marinate on that...

good luck on your saving gas race...
rod2envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 11:54 AM   #19
tommychau
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tommychau

I'll wait until you get the results of your atomizer thing. As far as the spacer goes. From what other users have responded to it. The spacer does not have any affect on the 5.9 engines. At least from 3 users that had used it on a 5.9. However on the 4.7/5.2, there was a small improvement. My guess is the different intake manifold design.

I started a thread in the www.dodgeforum.com about what to get to get a little more power and possible gas mileage from a 5.9 Durango and so far, I got some good responses. I am sold on the fastman throttle body upgrade. Some users said upgrading the intake manifold will breathe more power for the 5.9 as well as small gas mileage improvement. Once these 2 upgrades are in place and I see a small improvement in gas mileage, I'll opt for the cold air package to maximize the 5.9's breathing. Have any of you checked out Mopar's performance stuff for their Magnum engines? Thinking of going all out on Mopar to keep the factory appearance under the hood. Mopar makes a cold air package similar to K&N but has the Mopar badges on it. They also have headers, and especially the Mopar M1 intake manifold upgrade that caught my eye after alot of Dakota R/T owners gave it some very good reviews. If any of you dodge owners aren't aware of that new forum, check it out.

www.dodgeforum.com - Strictly for chrylser/dodge addicts.
tommychau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:12 PM   #20
52chevy
AF Newbie

Fuel Atomizer 2000

rod2envy please update us on your experience on the Fuel Atomizer 2000. Is it the real deal or snake oil?
52chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:30 PM   #21
HBD
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1998 Durango How to Improve Fuel economy

I just bought a THROTTLE BODY SPACER (for my 99 5.2) on ebay for $30!... but the instructions that came with it are a crappy ass poor quality unreadable photocopy, thats says basically;"
unbolt the throttle, clean off old gaskets, place in the spacer and the new gaskets, re-bolt."
I'm not very mechanically savy, but I can turn a bolt.

Does anyone have a link or diagram ... maybe a better explination of where exactally this goes and how to do it?

Will I need a tube of gasket sealer or are the discs that were sent in the kit sufficiant?

THANKS
HBD

here is a link to what I bought;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod2envy
Ok, finally got my K&N intake installed with the Throttle body spacer. I have been driving it for 2 weeks and I must say I feel and see the difference, before,, by the end of my normal week I would be on half the tank and now Im in the 3/4 per week, to me thats outstanding...

Like I said I'll keep you posted...
HBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:46 AM   #22
sackett19
AF Newbie

This message is part to bump this topic to the top and also to ask what people first recomend for fuel efficiency. I have just purchased a 2002 sxt Drango and want to know what there is for improving fuel. Is there any improvement that people notice from the mid to late 90s vs 2000 years? I have heard about the chips that make the engine think it is receiving more cold air than it actually is... is this good for the engine?

thanks
Old 11-25-2004, 08:47 PM   #23
john4.7
AF Newbie

I have recently started to put Lucas fuel injector cleaner in my truck. The lucas also lubricates your entire fuel system including pump. It pays for itself in mpg especially if you buy the larger econo size. I also notice a difference in power and smoothness. More power and smoother operation for free! Can't go wrong with that.
john4.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:45 PM   #24
knlc
AF Newbie

I have the 5.9 liter, 9.2 rear end. I have been averaging 15.0 mph, but a lot of driving is highway. I put in a K&N filter; mileage did not seem to change, but it seems to have better performance.
Mine has been a great vehicle, with few problems.

Last edited by knlc; 12-01-2004 at 07:11 PM.
knlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:17 PM   #25
gmcmike
AF Newbie

hi
i have a 99 durnago with a 5.9 motor and it stinks on gas i get about 230 miles to a tank with it thats if i push it to [E] what can i do to improve my fuel economy i like the truck but hate what kind of gas mileage i get with it thanks
gmcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:16 AM   #26
Rango1
AF Newbie

Hey guys i have a 99 Durango 5.2 with the k&n cold air intake, 3" catback exhaust with Flowmaster 44. I get around 18 mpg with this but its still a dog off the line, I'm trying to get more ooomph out of it, i have a jacobs ignition box to put in it but no wiring instructions or diagrams, curious if anybody has installed one of these and how to do it.
Rango1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #27
popps68
AF Newbie

my oldest son tried the spacer on his 2000 ram 5.7 hemi--the computer eventually learned a device was there and just--"riched" the truck up--until this, he was actually doing better[3miles gallon more] until the computer adjusted for it. maybe this helps.

**I have a 99 durango with the 5.9--great motors--just fuel mileage sucks. I think maybe some long tube headers?
popps68 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango