Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 924/944/968
View Poll Results: whats better?
rx7 7 16.28%
944 29 67.44%
supra 7 16.28%
mr2 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:52 PM   #1
ryanisfast
AF Newbie

Cool what type of performance does the944 have?

i've been researching cars lately. i'm only 15 and ive been saving up for a car. i have some choices in mind. they are 944, 86-91 rx7, supra, mr2, and other cars like that. what do you think is better. i like them all, but is the 944 a little fast? i mean, can it at least set you back in your seat. my friend has an rx7 and he says its pretty fast. i don't know, but some replies would be nice. i know the 944 and rx7 are known for handling, but what about speed. does the 944 have power going 70 mph. if you step on it will it go or does is just lug. i love performance, so handling and speed are important.
ryanisfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
SentrieONE
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SentrieONE
Re: what type of performance does the944 have?

youre 15, dont get a 944. its expensive.

Anything turbo will pick up if its going 70mph+

if i were you, id rule out the supra. unless you want the newer ones, the supra is generally a heavy car with a bad tranny.
SentrieONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 06:12 AM   #3
87Porsche951
AF Enthusiast

A regular 944 isnt impressive in the performance department. 944 S2 & 944 Turbo's are very good in performance.
87Porsche951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 12:32 AM   #4
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
That very much depends on your definition of performance.

The 944 handles amazingly well, but it's not all that fast in a straight line. If you're looking for something to drag race with, it's a bad choice. If you're looking something that handles and brakes very well, and still has nice grunt coming off the line, and exiting corners, the 944 is a great choice.

If you want something really fast in a straight line, there are lots of good choices out there, depending on your tastes.

The RX7 and MR2 both handle well, and have more options for power than the 944. I would advise against the RX7, because they get terrible gas mileage, and often need engine rebuilds at this point. I would advise against the MR2, because mid engined cars are much trickier to drive at their limits, and because it has very little usable space for moving stuff around.

A good choice would be a 924, it's practically indentical to a 944 in most aspects, but is much cheaper to run, and sorry guys, more reliable. They go for next to nothing these days. For the price of a decent 944, you could find a good 924, put a fiberglass 944 body on it, tune the engine and suspension, and have a serious performance car.

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 06:38 PM   #5
ryanisfast
AF Newbie

also

i already know about maintenence costs, so when you reply leave out the cost issues because yes i know. i just want to know what the best car would be for performance and what would be a fun car. i hate slow cars. ive driven economy cars and floor them, but there is never any enjoyment. i need something that can at least kick off into second gear. also i like cars with very stiff suspension. is the 944 soft. i don't know, ive only driven econaomy cars. i'm sure a944 would be way better than anything ive driven so far, but i know many of the people on this forum are experienced and would know alot about cars.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:47 PM   #6
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
The 944 isn't the fastest car in a straight line, but it's still powerful enough to put you back in your seat, and exit corners nicely.

Saying the suspension is stiff is relative, it's quite stiff compared to an economy car, maybe not compared to a car with aftermarket suspension though.

Suspension upgrades are not expensive though, and they make a car like the 944 come alive.

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 12:19 AM   #7
YeTi
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to YeTi

in 5th gear 70+mph will not do you much joy...
but if you drop it into 3rd... BAM! not even pam can keep you from sticken to the back of your porsche. and the feeling of shifting into 4th at redline is to die for! 5th goes pretty high i got my slightly modded (emphasis on slightly!) 87 944 n/a to 150 mph. i run about a 8.5 0-60 time... don't know about the 1/4 mile though...
Old 12-28-2003, 09:10 AM   #8
almostpro
AF Newbie

I haven't drive a lot off sportscars, but i can tell you one thing,
for starters, the 944 is a wonderfull and powerfull car
Once in a while you can show your rear end to some other fast cars
No, really, it drives great try it, you'll love it
almostpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:23 AM   #9
firl
AF Newbie

I have a camaro for straight line performance, its great for dragging, but for handling and all other performance the porsche is much > than the camaro.
firl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 11:29 PM   #10
Jarsyl
AF Newbie

If you buy the right 944 maintaining it is a joke. I have had mine for 2 years come this summer, I had to replace the water pump when I first got it for $400, I blew a relay changing the cd player which was $100, and I need to repaint the metal sunroof thing which will cost me about $250 for a good paint job. Thats only $750 in 2 years...and I dont forsee any of those repeating. In the next 2 I will need to replace the clutch and the brakes, that will be about it.
Jarsyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:43 PM   #11
white-star
AF Newbie

the 944 is a great little car to drive, and nothing says you've arrived like a porsche. i am a supra fanatic, but unless you're willing to drop $30K+ for 93+, i'd definitely go for the 944. however, i bought my 944 only 4 months ago with 165K km on it, and i've already spent over $1800 canadian on maintenence.. i love the car, and it's a vast improvement from the 92 talon i had before it, but you have to be careful because they're generally older cars that have been driven hard. have you considered a 3000GT? just a thought...
white-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:50 PM   #12
ryanisfast
AF Newbie

thanks

thanks for all your input. a 3000gt does sound nice.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:50 PM   #13
saab9kturbo
AF Newbie

I dont think you should consider any of those cars for your first car. My first car was a 1990 saab 9000. At 17 i turbocharged it (it came w/o turbo). At 18 (now) i just bought a 1988 944 S. First off, unless your parents are stinking rich or you're a great mechanic with a machine shop all those cars are expensive to maintain. You'll need the stinking rich part anyways if you want to fully cover a car insurance wise. Plus, lets talk legality. My friend got a 1991 mr2 turbo for his first car. Yes, he has 9 tickets now and no license. I have 1 ticket. Plus, you learn to drive a car better within its limits with sedans...when you move to a sports car you HAVE to be able to judge limits very precisely. Get something like a 325i for your first car, drive it, enjoy it, then get a sports car and save your sedan for the winter. Just my 2 cents...don't say you're some exception, its what i thought--but i'm (maybe only slightly since i bought a porsche) wiser now.

and a side note: im not saying this to be a jerk or to put you down, its just reality for the most part. You have alot of years to live.
saab9kturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 03:22 PM   #14
almostpro
AF Newbie

Cool Re: what type of performance does the944 have?

i have to agree with what saab9kturbo says: a 944 might not be the right choice to start off with...
the insurance sure is expensive, but, hey, if u are able to buy a porsche, you shouldn't mind the cost of driving it... but on the other hand, underestimating the power of a 944 in the winter might get you killed if you haven't got any driving experience.... (believe me, i've once made a 360 on a little bit of rain....)... it's not a winter car....

Sidenote: concerning tickets: i've got 1 ticket, and i got it with my Peugeot 205, not with my porsche
almostpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 01:40 PM   #15
930guy
AF Enthusiast

I don't know why you say its not a winter car. I've driven one for 3 winters here in New Hampshire. With the trans axle in the rear and the engine up front its a great winter car, just spend the money for a good set(4) of snow tires. Don't run "all season" performance tires and expect it to work well in the snow or rain for that matter
930guy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 924/944/968