Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
Candlechic15
AF Newbie

Hearing wind & outside air on 4dr Grandam passenger door>rear*

On my 03 grandam Gt 2003- I have always heard while driving over 35mph - a slight wind/air coming in on the right rear passenger door area- near where the molding - strip would be to seal the door while closed.
I had it serviced once in 04 for it never again because theys aid all is GOOD-
I still hear it specially ' on the freeway!

anyone else have advice? am I crazy ?LOL
Old 12-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
caddyman379
AF Regular

Re: Hearing wind & outside air on 4dr Grandam passenger door>rear*

Don't be offended but, is the door closed all the way? Has the vehicle had an accident near the door frame or the striker bolt? I would inspect the seal around the door to see if its severely cracked or loose. If it's an 03 its still under warranty right? I'd take it back and see if one of the service managers would drive in it with you.
caddyman379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
Candlechic15
AF Newbie

Don't be offended but, is the door closed all the way? Has the vehicle had an accident near the door frame or the striker bolt? I would inspect the seal around the door to see if its severely cracked or loose. If it's an 03 its still under warranty right? I'd take it back and see if one of the service managers would drive in it with you.

> yes lol the door is closed, cmon Im a woman IM not a dingbat!
I use to race cars back in High school & college- circle track & drag.
not that nutso dear! lol...but to answer the rest of the q's...
no accidents at all thank the lord & the bolt is completely in tact.
the dealer said the seal is fine! twice now+ not under original warranty no , esp plan I have ext'd yes-- so! I wont get it fixed just to ease sanity, deductable is 100$ so I will have to see what else can be done.
I have done the drive around thing ,,,doesnt work it seems lol
Old 12-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
BNaylor
AF Moderator

It is a common problem on GM N body cars like the Grand Am and Alero. The door seals are subject to premature wear and IMO poor quality. The air rushing sound or any rattling sound like the door being loose gets worse in the colder months. Check the door alignment from the outside in relationship to the body. Gently push in around the back of the door by the handle and see if you feel any slop as you push inward. You can make an adjustment on the door latching assembly. At the doorframe is a latch/striker plate that can be adjusted to give the door a better seal. There are two Torx T40 bolts you can loosen and then move the plate inwards. It will also adjust upwards/downwards/outwards. So do it carefully and in small increments until the door feels tight but without affecting overall alignment with the body and door latching/release. Before making any adjustment scribe the plate with a pencil or marker so you will be able to get it back to the original position just in case.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
Candlechic15
AF Newbie

Post Re: Hearing wind & outside air on 4dr Grandam passenger door>rear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaylor
It is a common problem on GM N body cars like the Grand Am and Alero. The door seals are subject to premature wear and IMO poor quality. The air rushing sound or any rattling sound like the door being loose gets worse in the colder months. Check the door alignment from the outside in relationship to the body. Gently push in around the back of the door by the handle and see if you feel any slop as you push inward. You can make an adjustment on the door latching assembly. At the doorframe is a latch/striker plate that can be adjusted to give the door a better seal. There are two Torx T40 bolts you can loosen and then move the plate inwards. It will also adjust upwards/downwards/outwards. So do it carefully and in small increments until the door feels tight but without affecting overall alignment with the body and door latching/release. Before making any adjustment scribe the plate with a pencil or marker so you will be able to get it back to the original position just in case.
its nothing of the above , as due to t he "noise " I am hearing.
sorry to say its not that serious- just that it may need new foam

around the door jams- but thanks for the insight--- its just not that complicated & nothing is rattling! just wind being heard while on the freeway or going over 35-
Old 12-08-2006, 07:34 AM   #6
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

My SE and GT did the same on the rear pass door.

I used a sheet of paper to find the loose spots along the gaskets, my gaskets are like new.
I did what Bnaylor suggested, moved the door strike plate to tighten the door seal a little.
It fixed the SE but the GT, I believe, is leaking air from somewhere else

Most Body shops stuff a putty/waxy stuff under the seals to raise them enough to seal the leak(s) when moving the latch or striker doesnt work. Just my

Good Luck

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM