Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Elantra | Avante
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
hyundai.monday
AF Newbie

2013 Elantra with no spare?

Got a flat tire in a recently purchased 2013 Elantra but no spare to be found...

Anyone know why a new car would come without a spare tire??
hyundai.monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
hyundai.monday
AF Newbie

Re: 2013 Elantra with no spare?

Also, it came with some sort of inflator kit.

Can anyone tell me what the next step is after using it? What happens when it's all gone??
Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
lowsonoma1999
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via AIM to lowsonoma1999

A lot of cars nowadays come without a spare. Your salesman should have informed you of this when you bought the car. With the push for increased fuel economy, the less weight the better. A replacement "fix-a-flat" that is included runs $40 or $50 from the dealer. Can't remember exactly. I have yet to sell one. There is a spare tire kit you can purchase from your dealer as well. Comes with a compact wheel, tire, jack, and all tools. I sell them at my dealer for $250 installed. Your dealer might be different. I've heard of some selling them for upwards of $400.
17665 Terry Lee Crossing
Noblesville, IN 46060
lowsonoma1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lowsonoma1999 For This Useful Post:
hyundai.monday (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
hyundai.monday
AF Newbie

[quote=lowsonoma1999;7006679] A replacement "fix-a-flat" that is included runs $40 or $50 from the dealer. Can't remember exactly. I have yet to sell one.

That's interesting. Do people actually pay extra for the spare tire over just going with the kit that comes standard?

Also, do you have any idea what brands these car manufacturers use for their white label kits?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
lowsonoma1999
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via AIM to lowsonoma1999

[quote=hyundai.monday;7008731]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsonoma1999 View Post
A replacement "fix-a-flat" that is included runs $40 or $50 from the dealer. Can't remember exactly. I have yet to sell one.

That's interesting. Do people actually pay extra for the spare tire over just going with the kit that comes standard?

Also, do you have any idea what brands these car manufacturers use for their white label kits?
Yes, people do buy the kits, and I highly recommend them. First, the "fix a flat" isn't going to plug every leak or hole in the tire. If that's the case, you have no choice but to either tow the car to a tire shop, or remove the wheel/tire, take it to a shop for repair or replacement, then have to take it back. Roadside assistance will only tow to your closest Hyundai dealer, which aren't open on Sundays (at least they aren't in IN), and limited hours on Saturdays. If you are driving back from vacation on a Sunday and you have a blow out on the interstate, you are pretty much screwed until Monday. Plus, the "fix a flat" is a one time use, then you have to buy another.

As far as the "white label kits", are you referring to the spare tire kits? I'm not sure who makes them. The tires are usually either Kumho or Hankook. I'd have to look and see if there are any stampings on the wheel itself, but most of Hyundai's wheels, especially the steel ones have the Hyundai logo stamped into it.
17665 Terry Lee Crossing
Noblesville, IN 46060
lowsonoma1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Elaine5431
AF Newbie

My son has a 2013 hyundia elantra gls. Instead of purchasing the donute spare tire, can I purchase a rim that is 16" and a handkook tire? Does the rim need to be a huyndai rim. Would a sport SE17 16" rim fit? I hope someone know what I am talking about because I am not sure I do!!! Thank you very much..
Elaine5431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
CaPnK
AF Newbie

Most if not all of the Elantra's with no spares had run flat tires, which means you can run them flat to the tire store to be repaired. The down side of this is when you go to replace your tires, run flats are fricken expensive!!! I know.. And if I had to do it over again, I would have purchased the spare donut and regular tires. I would have come out ahead.
CaPnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #8
Willyum
AF Enthusiast

Since many people today don't know how to change a flat, and flats are less of an occurrence, the power's that be decided we didn't need one like the old days.
Didn't the dealership brag to you when you bought it that you have 24 X 7 road service for 5 years? Call them maybe. Or stick the inflater can on the stem and do what they expect you to do.
Willyum is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
elantra , flat , missing , spare , tire
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Elantra | Avante