Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
beachdogvet
AF Newbie

Battery Tender

I have a battery tender 12v 750 mA. The tender is several years old. I use it for a battery that I keep out of one of my vehicles I hardly drive. When I first connect the tender to the battery the light is a solid red. The light stays red for the longest time. So I disconnect the tender and reconnect it, the light blinks green and eventually goes to solid green. The fact I have to disconnect and reconnect it so it's starts blinking is concerning me that it doesn't start blinking and eventually turns solid green by itself. Is that a indication the tender is defective?
beachdogvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Battery Tender

I'd be more inclined to suspect the battery is nearing end of life. You may want to take the battery in to be load tested. How old is the battery?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:11 AM   #3
beachdogvet
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
I'd be more inclined to suspect the battery is nearing end of life. You may want to take the battery in to be load tested. How old is the battery?

-Rod
It's a several years old, a battery for my riding lawn mower. The battery eventually does charge up. As I can start the mower without problems.
beachdogvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Since the battery is several years old and does eventually charge, I'd still be inclined to suspect the battery over the Battery Tender as being the issue here. A 750mA charge rate is pretty low, so yeah, it will take awhile to top off a weak battery at that rate.

You could try connecting the tender to a car battery or other 12V SLA battery that you know is good and see if the behavior is more what you expect.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General