Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Bumps vette
AF Newbie

wiring problem

Bought 61 vette, older restoration. Painless wiring was used. I replaced battery. It had 2 extra wires connected to pos post. Upon trying to start car, one wire shorted and melted. I traced it under pass dash. It was connected to 4 more wires. I put heavier wire from battery with 20 amp fuse. Reconnected and fuse blew. Not sure what to do. Don't want to totally remove wiring harness. Wires were blk/wht.
Bumps vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: wiring problem

My recommendation would be to start by disconnecting all 4 of the wires that are fed by that circuit, then measure each one to ground. If you're lucky, only 1 of those wires will have a low resistance path to ground. Once you identify that one, trace that wire to determine what it powers. Or leave it disconnected, reconnect the other three wires, then see what doesn't work and that's probably the circuit of issue. Maybe during some reassembly a screw was run through a power wire, or when something like the seat was mounted it pinched and shorted a wire, etc.

I thought Painless wiring was the type that had writing on the wires for what circuit they went to. Although if this wire to the battery did not have fuse protection prior to you adding the fuse, it's probably not something that came from Painless to begin with....

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
Bumps vette (06-10-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
Bumps vette
AF Newbie

Thanks for the response. Not much of an electrician. How do I "check to ground"?
Bumps vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
Copytech99
AF Regular

In a low Ohm setting (20/200) ,ground your meters black minus lead to body/chassis and red lead to the wiring being tested. Look for one reading very low. (Will be 0 Ohms if dead short)
Copytech99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Copytech99 For This Useful Post:
Bumps vette (06-10-2017)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical