Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
View Poll Results: Who makes the best Muscle Cars???
Chevrolet 11 78.57%
Ford 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
knightjp
AF Regular

Muscle Cars - Chevy vs Ford

Its kinda a known fact that if I were to ask the entire petrol-head community to choose between Chevys vs Fords, I would be able to divide the entire community into 2 equal halves.... Why???

Does Chevy and Ford really equal each other out when it comes to building great Muscle cars??? Or does one have an advantage over the other??.....

SO... Here goes the start of the age old debate (again).....

Who makes THEE BEST Muscle cars between the two??? Is it Chevy (GM) or Ford????
knightjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Re: Muscle Cars - Chevy vs Ford

Well Mopar made the best muscle cars IMO But I prefer the Chevy muscle cars myself over the Fords. I think they look better and they're much easier to work on.
Andydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
knightjp
AF Regular

Well... I do know that Mopar cars are the most powerful of all the muscle cars, but not the most reliable...

However my question is between Chevy & Ford. Most say that Chevy's are more powerful... is that true???

To be honest, Ford has always put up muscle cars with smaller engines against the Chevys... for instance.. .

Ford Mustang = 4.8 ltr engine
Chevy Camaro / Pontiac GTO = 5.7 ltr engine

I wouldn't be supprised if the chevy's were more powerful... they've got more engine...

Comfort wise... Fords take it... they're just more comfortable.

But out of the two... who makes the best all-round. And I'm talking about.... power, comfort, maintenance and reliability.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Chad82
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Chad82

For classic muscle, Mopar's the king of the hill. Between Chevy and Ford, I would go Chevy.

Chevy (assume you actually mean GM?) I would love to own the following:
Buick GS/GSX
Olds 442
Chevelle SS
Nova II SS
Pontiac GTO
1st gen Camaro/Firebird

For Ford it would be:
Torino
Fastback/sports roof Mustang, specifically 69-70s, specifically Boss or Mach 1.

In the last 20 years or so, only ford muscle I would like is 03/04 Cobra for ford. For GM I would like 4th gen LSI ram air Trans Am, turbo regal or any variant (Grand national/GNX), 05-06 GTO and to a lesser extent 94-96 Impala SS.
Chad82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
knightjp
AF Regular

Well... its plain to see that no-one is there who is able to step out there and answer the question point blank.

Alright guys, for the third time in a row... .

Who makes the better cars.... Chevy or Ford??

Before you answer you should weigh the following:

Power & Handling
Seating Comfort
Build quality
Reliability & maintenance

Take these into consideration and let me know....

The real reason I'm pressing is because this question has been bugging me since I was a kid. I want to lay the question to rest once and for all....

Plus I'm trying to decide whether I should go in for a Ford GT500 or wait for the new Camaro.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Chad82
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Chad82

you are in a muscle car forum. muscle died in the early 70s. if you want to know about contemporary cars go to one of those forums.
Chad82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightjp
Power & Handling
Seating Comfort
Build quality
Reliability & maintenance

This is more an opinion thing than anything else. GM, FORD, and MOPAR have all made some good and powerful muscle cars. Each brand has its loyal followers, and reliability and the ability to keep one maintained is subject to the owner.

Most of the things you have mentioned shouldnt even be considered as they arent the point of a muscle car, and were not the goals of those who designed them.

"VS" belongs here

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...play.php?f=666
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Talk about a loaded question!!!

THE "modern muscle car" (only one made since 1972) is the '04-'06 GTO. Mustang never was nor will ever be a "muscle car". It's a "pony car" (a class named FOR Mustang), and regardless of how much "muscle" it has, it will always BE a pony car.

The LSx engines are NOT Chevy engines. They ARE "GM Powertrain" engines. They bear no resemblance to Chevys. They use but two part numbers, left over, which are also used in other GM offerings, and those are the lifter and the rod bearing. And, IMO, they (LSx) are far superior in design to the Ford modulars. Just because they still have pushrods doesn't mean they can't make SERIOUS power! I saw an '05 GTO at Norwalk, "billed" as "the fastest LS-1 in the world". It went 7.19 @ 198. Haven't seen or heard of any small Ford doing that!

Answer to the posed question? NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
knightjp
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPbody
Talk about a loaded question!!!

THE "modern muscle car" (only one made since 1972) is the '04-'06 GTO. Mustang never was nor will ever be a "muscle car". It's a "pony car" (a class named FOR Mustang), and regardless of how much "muscle" it has, it will always BE a pony car.

The LSx engines are NOT Chevy engines. They ARE "GM Powertrain" engines. They bear no resemblance to Chevys. They use but two part numbers, left over, which are also used in other GM offerings, and those are the lifter and the rod bearing. And, IMO, they (LSx) are far superior in design to the Ford modulars. Just because they still have pushrods doesn't mean they can't make SERIOUS power! I saw an '05 GTO at Norwalk, "billed" as "the fastest LS-1 in the world". It went 7.19 @ 198. Haven't seen or heard of any small Ford doing that!

Answer to the posed question? NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!

Jim
What does Chevrolet use in the Corvette then??? They always claim that the new GTO uses the same engine as in the Corvette.

If at all the GM uses the same engines in alot of models, what kind of engine does Chevy build????
Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Yes, LS2 (400 HP) is used in the base-model Corvette, and GTO. LS7 is the "427" (really 426, but that's not as "cool") version (505 HP).

Chevrolet no longer builds engines, they assemble cars. GM Powertrain is the division of GM responsible for engines for the last 7 or 8 years, for ALL GM models. LS1 first showed up in the '97 Corvette. In '98, F-bodies got it, too.

Corvette is a "sports car" (and a damn fine one, at that!), and cannot be compared to muscle cars.

This debate can go on forever. Let's let it "ly"...

Jim
Old 08-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #11
knightjp
AF Regular

Sure..

I just really wanted to know who made cars better.... Chevy or Ford...

Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Pontiac.... Not Chevy OR Ford!

IMO, anyway!

Jim
Old 08-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #13
429SCJguy
AF Newbie

As far as classic big block muscle cars go Chevy vs. Ford involves Chevelle SS 396 325/350/375hp and Chevelle SS 454 365/450hp versus Torino GT, Torino Cobra, Mercury Cyclone, Cyclone GT, Cyclone Spoiler, Cyclone CJ 428 powered by 390GT, 428 CJ/SCJ or 429 TJ/CJ/SCJ. Ford also had the '66-'67 Fairlane GT 390 and '67 Fairlane 427.

If you include sports cars and pony cars, Chevy had the Corvette and Cobras had Ford engines. Mustang, Cougar and Camaro had the big block engine options already stated including the 429 Boss Mustang.

Many great and fast cars on both sides.

There were also several other great cars from that era:
GTO, Firebird, Roadrunner, Charger, Super Bee, GTX, Barracuda, Challenger, SC/Rambler etc.

My personal favorite is '70 Torino Cobra 429SCJ, 4sp, 3.91/4.30 gear.

I agree with Jim and hotrod_chevyz, no right or wrong answer.
429SCJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:11 AM   #14
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

429SCJ,

"Back in the day"... I had my '70 Judge w/366 HP 400 (Ram Air III). A close friend had a '70 Cyclone GT with the SCJ (solid lifter version). I had 3.55 gears and a Muncie. He had 3.50 gears and a Top Loader. Both cars were box-stock. I could beat him through a 1/4 mile by about 3'. His engine made more high-end power, and right past the 1/4, he would pop high gear and blow right on by! The Judge was a great performance car, but the Merc was much faster on the top end. From my experience, the Cyclone has the same running gear and performs just like the Torino. Never thought much of the 428s (I've seen 390GT Mustangs beat up on CJs), but that 429 is a great engine! One friend in SoCal has a '70 Mach 1 with the 428 SCJ. It's gorgeous, but it won't get out of the 14s... I understand this is a VERY RARE option in '70.

Jim
Old 08-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #15
429SCJguy
AF Newbie

Was your friend's car a Super Cobra Jet or Cobra Jet? The Super Cobra Jet came with solid lifters, Holley carb, air pump, oil cooler, forged single eyebrow flat tops and 3.91 or 4.30 gears. The Cobra Jet came with a Quadrajet carb (the only Ford so equipped to my knowledge), hydraulic lifters, cast pistons and 3.25 or 3.50 gears. Both engines had the big port heads (DOOE-R) and 11.3 : 1 compression. I'm not sure, Mercs may have been available with the higher gears.

Actually the 429 Thunder Jet (standard 429) was the standard Torino Cobra engine in '70, the 351C-4V in 71. The big headed 429s were options both years. The '69 Cobras were all 428CJ/SCJ.

In '70, pony car Cobra Jets were still 428s while Torino/Cyclone Cobra Jets were the new 429 from what I understand. In '71, 429s could be had in Mustangs and a small number of Cougars as well.

All four engines 428CJ/SCJ, 429CJ/SCJ were available with and without functional hood scoops.

WOW, '70 GTO Judge, 400 Ram Air III, 4sp, sweet ride!

Never drove one but the 400P, Muncie/Hurst, 3.55s has to be a great all around street combo.
429SCJguy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical