Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Uplander
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
bheston
AF Newbie

2007 Uplander power sliding door cable

I just bought a 2007 Uplander with both side sliding doors. One on the right works great, one on the left unlatches but then doesn't move, I hear the motor running but door sits still. After some investigation I realized the cable that runs the door is gone. I don't see it at all, I assume it broke and someone cut it out.

I'm not having much luck finding information or parts to do this repair, most go to the dealer with sliding door problems. Does anyone know if the cable by itself can be purchased and replaced?

Thanks!
bheston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2007 Uplander power sliding door cable

If you don't see the cable at all, it was cut/broken like you said, and probably retracted into the module itself......I don't believe you can just get the cable to replace it....it involves buying the whole module, which is very expensive...

They do sell models, where the right side is motorized, and the left side is manual.....I would treat your vehicle the same way......the cost is prohibitive to fix......

However, if you are mechanically inclined, and determined to fix it, you should get a manual, so you will know what you are doing.....and you can check local boneyards, to see if there are any available.....problem is, most charge close to what a new one costs, and it's possible, it may not work when you put it in(defective).....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
bheston
AF Newbie

That's what I was afraid of, have to buy the whole unit. I am pretty good at tearing into things and figuring them out, so I think I'll try tearing this unit out and find where the cable broke, maybe I could crimp a new end on it or find another way to make a repair. If that doesn't work check the salvage yards! If anyone has tore into one of these units and has any tips I'm all ears...
Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
dirtymustard
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: 2007 Uplander power sliding door cable

I have an 07 uplander with a similar issue. The cables for the motor are in place, but they are stuck. I've since removed the cables from the slider assembly because it needs replaced (a pulley broke off of it, which started this whole mess). I have the part on order and will have it soon - but I am stumped in figuring out how I am going to get the cables extended to connect them. Any idea how to get the motor unseized?
dirtymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
bheston
AF Newbie

If the cables are stuck they are probably wedged in the winding mechanism by the motor, which are two pulleys connected with a spring to provide the cable tension. Once the cables lose tension, they can come off the pulleys and get wedged between the pulley and housing. I suppose could be a stuck motor or gearbox problem also, but I've dealt with cable issues myself.

I have worked on a couple of these now, if your cables are still good you can remove the whole motor/pulley/cable assembly from the vehicle, then take it apart and fix the cables. This is not an easy job, there are a lot of parts in that unit to make sure go back together properly but it can be done. In my experience you can't find people to work on these, they just want to replace the entire unit, at ~$500+ from the factory or $150-250 from junkyard. So if you tear into it and can't fix it, you are stuck buying a new one anyway.

If you decide to try it, there are 6 or 8 screws to remove the plastic cover, you can then see the cables wound around the pulleys and may be able to see your problem. To go deeper which you have to do if you need to fix or re-wind the cables, remove the 10mm nut which holds the pulleys, magnet, spring, and metal plate in place. Pay close attention to how this comes apart. The two pulleys have a spring connecting them together to provide the cable tension when they are pulled opposite directions. There is another small spring between the pulleys that flips a lever to provide a positive stop so the pulleys can't spin too far.

Once you re-wind the cables, you have to make sure you have the correct number of winds on the pulley to give the correct length of cable to wrap around and connect to the door pulley. ***Now the important part that took me several attempts to figure out!! Once you have the cables installed, you have to hold tension on them! If you don't, the pulleys will wind backward too far and flip the small latch on the positive stop that is located in between the pulleys, you won't know this happens but after the door runs once you lose cable tension. Then you get to remove the whole unit from the van and start over. The trick here is that there is a small hole in the middle of the pulleys that also lines up with a whole through the plastic enclosure. You can wrap the cables on the pulleys to have a little tension then slip a pin or strong wire through the holes to hold the pulleys in place. Once you have assembled the unit, then installed in the vehicle, you can have someone hold tension on both cables then pull the pin as you are connecting the cables to the door roller. Main thing to remember is don't let the pulleys wind themselves backwards.

If you need parts other than cables let me know, I believe I have a good unit minus the cables, so good motor, gearbox, pulleys, etc. Might even have control module. Would sell them at a reasonable used price if someone could use them. Don't recall if it is driver or passenger side but can find out if interested.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
dirtymustard
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info. About what I expected to hear but was hoping I would not. Never would have figured all that out on my own so THANK YOU for the detailed info. Will let you know how it goes when I get a chance to work on it. The door assembly comes in tomorrow, so it will probably be Friday or Saturday at the soonest before I even attempt to give it a go.
dirtymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
matt_olds442
AF Newbie

Great overview on installing the assembly. I've followed the steps for my 05 but am still having issues. I can get it all installed and manually open and close the door fully, so I know the small latch didn't trip, but when I fully close the door, hook up the wiring harness to the motor and hit the open button the door opens part way and cables are all messed up again. Any ideas? Thanks
matt_olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #8
bheston
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_olds442 View Post
Great overview on installing the assembly. I've followed the steps for my 05 but am still having issues. I can get it all installed and manually open and close the door fully, so I know the small latch didn't trip, but when I fully close the door, hook up the wiring harness to the motor and hit the open button the door opens part way and cables are all messed up again. Any ideas? Thanks
In my experience, when I lost tension on the cables and the latch flipped and I didn't know it, the door still operates just fine by hand. The latch only engages to provide a positive stop when the motor drives the door, so you don't know if it is flipped incorrectly by manually moving the door. My only ideas would still be to focus on the latch, making sure it is installed the right way including the spring on it, and that once you have spring tension between the two pulleys keep that tension throughout the install, which takes two people to hold the cable tension while you remove the pin and get the cables connected to the door. One of the more frustrating jobs I've worked on, good luck!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Uplander