Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 08:49 PM   #31
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg
Quote:
Originally posted by ssshhhh (_burn_)

if you recomend new pistons....he doesnt need that oil with forged pistons...just weighs it down and the pressure can be used other places
??? Ummmm What?? Sorry but I am confused, what would it matter if you have forged or cast pistons as far as oil is conserned? And what oil are you talking about, he was saing to plug the hole in the head that supplies the vtec solenoid b/c the b18b bottom end does not have a passage there and there will be a leak. I am not flaming you in any way I am just confused as to what you are talking about.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:58 PM   #32
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ssshhhh (_burn_)
Quote:
Originally posted by whtteg

??? Ummmm What?? Sorry but I am confused, what would it matter if you have forged or cast pistons as far as oil is conserned? And what oil are you talking about, he was saing to plug the hole in the head that supplies the vtec solenoid b/c the b18b bottom end does not have a passage there and there will be a leak. I am not flaming you in any way I am just confused as to what you are talking about.
nm...i read that completly wrong i think. shit im drunk and have no clue what the fugc im responding to...ill respond laterr.

6.7 @ 211mph whooping kubo's ass all over the track
ssshhhh (_burn_) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:43 AM   #33
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Thanx for the help hybridsol, whtteg, and everyone else . I am curious though, what is that pesky oil leak that whtteg said he heard a lot of ppl talk about? Also, I heard somewhere (not sure where) that LS/Vtec's have a shorter engine life before it's time for a re-build. Is this true? Or is this untrue, more of a consiquence of a bad and incorrect LS/Vtec build? Thanx
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:25 PM   #34
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by eckoman_pdx
Also, I heard somewhere (not sure where) that LS/Vtec's have a shorter engine life before it's time for a re-build. Is this true? Or is this untrue, more of a consiquence of a bad and incorrect LS/Vtec build? Thanx
yeh 9 times out of 10

Old 06-12-2003, 03:41 PM   #35
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Yea I think it is just ppl who cut corners and don't do everything right that causes it to have a shorter lifespan. But it is a honda system and if well maintaned it will last long enough, i would say that if the swap was done right and had all new internals then it could easily see 150K miles, but I don't know for sure that is just an educated guess, you have to understand that to make good hp that engine life will almost always be shortened. And I have a feeling that the oil leak problem is probably just the oil line for the vtec solenoid or someone not cleanning the head surface and the block surface properly and also you have to torque the head bolts in the exact order that the manual states or the head gasket will not seal right in the long run, that could also be the reason for the oil leak. If nobody else answers the questio before i find out the info then I will post it here or pm it to you.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:40 PM   #36
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally posted by ssshhhh (_burn_)

yeh 9 times out of 10
Do you mean 9 times outta 10 it's cuz of a carless and bad build that causes the shortened life?

Also, Thanks again for the info Whtteg
Old 06-12-2003, 10:44 PM   #37
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

Do you mean 9 times outta 10 it's cuz of a carless and bad build that causes the shortened life?
a) honda doesnt make the engines like this. the designers at honda are brilliant motor builders... chances are..you arent.
b) if your building a high horsepower motor....the life of the car is shortened. thats a gimmie.

Old 06-12-2003, 10:57 PM   #38
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

I know a high horsepower motor under heavy boost will have a shorter life, I am asking about the LS/VTec part, no boost, as for shortened life. And besides, I am not gonna do anything myself I can't handle...if I have to, I'll go down to LA or Arizona and have someone life SRD, Holeshot Racing, or JG engine Dymanics build it. I wanna make sure I know whats what and all that jazz beofre I start or pay someone. So I am trying to "Do my Homework" now, before I even start.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:01 PM   #39
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I know a high horsepower motor under heavy boost will have a shorter life, I am asking about the LS/VTec part, no boost, as for shortened life. And besides, I am not gonna do anything myself I can't handle...if I have to, I'll go down to LA or Arizona and have someone life SRD, Holeshot Racing, or JG engine Dymanics build it. I wanna make sure I know whats what and all that jazz beofre I start or pay someone. So I am trying to "Do my Homework" now, before I even start.
after you've got enough info on building a great lsvtec you should be able to build it yourself. thats my rule of thumb.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:05 PM   #40
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

eckoman_pdx, check this kink out it should answer some questions and let you see some of the things we have been talking about.

b20vtec
Old 06-12-2003, 11:08 PM   #41
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Like I said, I won't do anything myself I can't handle. I would like to gather the info and do it myself, the other was a back-up plan, a what-if. I said I would go there if I HAD to, but my plan is to learn what I can..and eventually do it myself, as long as I can handle it and do it right. I won't allow myself to get half-way in and be like...oh sh*t, what do I do. Thats when the costs really start to build.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:18 PM   #42
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Hey, thanx for the site whtteg, that helps. Also, I found an Article in HOnda Tuning on doing an LS/Vtec. SRD in Arizona (ppl I have talked to before, actually) are the ones how did the swap for the tech prodedor. It's in the May 2003 issue I belive. That and the site help, they give me an idea w/ photo's bout what everyone is saying.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:58 PM   #43
DblOvrhedCamron
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DblOvrhedCamron Send a message via Yahoo to DblOvrhedCamron
Quote:

That is alot of very helpful info hybridsol.
Is the only difference in the gsr head and the Ls head the vtec oil passage and the smaller dowel pins on the gsr head, that is for bolting up ofcourse, lol I know the other differences lol. But is that the only thing that is different for the block to head fit? What is the pesky oil leak that alot of ppl talk about? Is it the oil line to activate vtec? I am very interested in possibly doing the swap then if that is all the work you have to do to the head, b/c I was under the impression that you had to have some machine shop work done to the head for it to fit, but maybe it was just the two things above that everyone was talking about having a machine shop do.
I'm guessing the oil leak has something to do with what hybrid said about the cylinder turning into an oval and screwing the seals. I'm pretty shure that everything is up there, only block work is required. (the combustion chambers are different sizes thats about all.)

DblOvrhedCamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 11:02 PM   #44
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Exclamation

eckoman_pdx,
Check this out before you think about JG engines and their work.
JG experience
Old 06-18-2003, 02:32 AM   #45
DblOvrhedCamron
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DblOvrhedCamron Send a message via Yahoo to DblOvrhedCamron
Quote:
eckoman_pdx,
Check this out before you think about JG engines and their work.
JG experience
wow......I'm gladhe won the court case, I had heard nothing but good things from JG before you posted that.

DblOvrhedCamron is offline   Reply With Quote