Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #16
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 83 caprice , transmission not engaging drive gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by silicon212 View Post
in 1983, the 3.8 liter V6 (229cid, based on the 305) was the base engine for the car, and this was only available with a TH350 transmission. This is why those parts are available for that year. The TH350 does have a vacuum modulator. The TH200C, 2004R and 700R4 use a throttle cable instead.

Jcat - the cable on a 700R4 is not simply a detent cable.
the term I used is in my 1984 repair manual detent/downshift cable is what is stated . also TV cable . depends on what transmission used ,I once had this stick on another GM vehicle..
I know that this if not set correctly , will damage the transmission.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf trans dent-tv cable.pdf (24.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf trans pan ID 1.pdf (15.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf trans pan ID 2.pdf (25.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by j cAT; 04-27-2016 at 02:09 PM.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #17
cas4all
AF Newbie

So i was able to drop the pan and change the oil and filter . i found the problem , it was lying in the bottom of the pan . A piece of some sort of lever mechanism was lying in the oil broken off . The detent/throttle cable was attached . i doubt any auto parts places stock this part that broke and i have never changed a transmission . For me to bother to go to junkyard for this part , i would have to drop the pan on the junkyard car . So then if i went that far , it would just make sense to get a used transmission from the junkyard . Al this for a car with 166,000 miles on it . So looks like this caprice will be getting sold for parts or going to the scrap bin of history . Sucks because the 305 is still strong in it .
cas4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #18
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas4all View Post
So i was able to drop the pan and change the oil and filter . i found the problem , it was lying in the bottom of the pan . A piece of some sort of lever mechanism was lying in the oil broken off . The detent/throttle cable was attached . i doubt any auto parts places stock this part that broke and i have never changed a transmission . For me to bother to go to junkyard for this part , i would have to drop the pan on the junkyard car . So then if i went that far , it would just make sense to get a used transmission from the junkyard . Al this for a car with 166,000 miles on it . So looks like this caprice will be getting sold for parts or going to the scrap bin of history . Sucks because the 305 is still strong in it .
I would go to a tranny shop show them the broken piece see what they say. my impeller repair total cost was less than $100......... that was about 35 yrs ago ...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #19
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

I'll second that notion. Take your pieces to a local trans shop and ask if they can source the part(s). It may be easier than you might think.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice