Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
RevRMD
AF Newbie

95 Lumina - fast idle

Hello, I have a 1995 Lumina APV with 3.8 and just under 200K miles. When I start the car it idles fast. If I turn the car off and restart, the idle is now normal. I checked the readings (ohms) at the idle air control and they are within specs: A to B was 62 and C to D was also 62 - (should be 40 to 80). I also had open resistance A to C and A to D and D to B (which is what it should be according to the book). Where do I look next? Thanks!!
RevRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 95 Lumina - fast idle

While the "motor" electrical readings are OK, it is possible the mechanical components are "sticky"...which would not be too surprising at that age. Since it turns out to become normal after a second try, I would not be too concerned...even it is it a bit annoying...but if I find something more relevant, I'll come back
Old 05-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
MikeCStig
AF Regular

How high is the idle?
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
Pixies dad
AF Newbie

It has been a while since this was posted, but I had the same issue with mine. Turned out to be the throttle position sensor (TPS) and it was a bear to change because some brilliant engineer at GM put a brace on the throttle body. the lower nuts were nasty!they are right behind the crossover pipe. needless to say, the brace did not go back on. While I was at it, i cleaned up the throttle body and have not had a problem since.
Pixies dad is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV