Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > General Issues
General Issues General legal automotive problem discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Is This OK/legal to Do?

This morning myself and another driver pulled into a section of parking spaces as indicated in my diagram.

There were no other vehicles in this section until I arrived. As I walked away from my car, a gentleman(Other Guy), pulled in to the space on the diagram.

I waited for him to get out and waved my hand in the manner of "Come here". He started toward me when I pointed at the space in front of his and said "You know it's legal to pull through so you are nose out, don't you?" He smiled and said, "That's OK, I like where I'm parked". I said, "Well you may not like someone boxing you in. My information comes from a violations police officer." He just waved and went into the store he came for.

Who is right here? I know I can't pull through when the parking lot is directional(diagonally slanted spaces), but what on EARTH is wrong with saving yourself the aggravation of having to back out of your space if someone parks in front of you, and just pulling through so you are facing out when it's time to leave?

I just don't get some people. . .

FYI: The "Manage Attachments" on Automotive Forums is BROKEN. Returns "Upload Failure" when attempting to attach any type of image.

Moderators/Site Admins please take note.
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Re: Is This OK and Legal to Do?

I think I would just worry about you and let other worry about themselves.

Seriously, who cares? I think there are bigger problems to worry about like oh I don't know American soldiers being killed on foreign soil!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: Is This OK and Legal to Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airjer_ View Post
I think I would just worry about you and let other worry about themselves.

Seriously, who cares? I think there are bigger problems to worry about like oh I don't know American soldiers being killed on foreign soil!!!!!!!!!
I was just trying to be helpful - not the first time I've seen it. Folks seem to think it's taboo to cross into a space facing out. Not all of them - about half.

As far as troops being killed/maimed on foreign soil - blame the A**hole politicians who sent them there, and blame the A**hole voters who put the A**hole politicians in power in the first place! Simple, ehh?

Again - HELLO MODERATORS/SYSTEM ADMINS: Ability to attach files is BROKEN on Automotive Forums.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothHandler View Post
Again - HELLO MODERATORS/SYSTEM ADMINS: Ability to attach files is BROKEN on Automotive Forums.
Why not upload the photo to a photo host and then use the "insert image" icon to paste the url of the uploaded image?

See, no problem!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Why not upload the photo to a photo host and then use the "insert image" icon to paste the url of the uploaded image?

See, no problem!

Like Flickr? I'll try!

But let me tell you something: I'm a PRINCIPLED man - I live by principles. If the option to attach a file from one's PC exists on here - it should WORK - no ifs, ands, or butz. It works on other sites - check out baseball-fever(I'm sure you have baseball memories that will be quenched there!).

Here me, system admins - get it fixed!!!

Back to topic - the parking lots I'm talking about look nothing like the ones you posted here. Of course one should not attempt to park face-out in one of the diagonal ones. It disrupts the flow of others behind you who are waiting to park.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

http://www.safetycoatings.com/images/ParkingLot2.jpg

I posted the link because posting URLs ALSO doesn't work for me:
http://www.safetycoatings.com/images/ParkingLot2.jpg:
Upload of file failed. And don't tell me it's my PC because all of these features work over at baseball-fever and other forums using this same format.

Now what is wrong - if due diligence is exercised(in American that means looking ahead to make sure someone isn't pulling in from the opposite side or someone's kid doesn't suddenly dart across the empty space) - with pulling through the space at lower RH so that you are parked in the space at upper center, nose out??

My town just happens to have a majority of the above style parking lot - perpendicular gridlines that stretch "forever" with strip mall/shopping center at back of property.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Re: Is This OK/legal to Do?

Not sure if this applies in the US but in the UK, the diagonal parking bay thing is only applicable if the direction of traffic is one way; simple reason being that in two-way traffic, you don't hamper anyone.
In a one way traffic system, if you pull through, you will be facing on-coming traffic.
In two way traffic, you simply pull out and into the correct flow of traffic.

In any case, what's so difficult about reversing out of a space?

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Your so close! Slap a couple of image tags around your links and the pics show up
"[img]your link[/img]" without the " .

The funny thing is your proving my point. You refuse to do something another way even though in my opinion it is easier than arguing with the site admin.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

First off I merged the two threads you started on this matter, as you are only allowed to have one, and it makes it easier for the members to see all the responses in one place. The issue with posting attachments has been noted and someone should be looking into the matter. There are some site issues going on and it might be related. Given this is a holiday weekend it may take a few extra days.

I tend to think like you do on occasion. Doing what seems logical doesn't seem to be in the best interest of a lot of people these days. I could go on a rant how stupidity has inflicted a lot of people and many things are way different than they were 20 years ago and more, but it would be a long post
I am one to pull through if there is an open spot in front of me. It is so much easier pulling out of a parking spot, than backing out , especially if it's a busy lot and as luck usually has it a large honking SUV is parked on either side or both sides of your vehicle obstructing your view. I feel it's also easier to pull out a little bit at a time to see if the coast is clear, and is much easier to do when facing out. One reason is the amount of your vehicle that has to come out into the driving lane is less when you are facing out as the front end of the car is closer to the driver, than the rear. There is much more car in most cases behind the driver that they have to inch out in order to get a better view of the conditions.
People nowadays seems to be self absorbed and tend to do what benefits them first, not for the general good of the population. They also don't like to be called out when they do something or be shown a better way of doing something as referenced in the OP's first post.Many people just don't want to be bothered it seems . That their lives are too busy to learn something new. I just chalk it up to experience and go about my way.
Our local AAA had a media campaign a couple of years ago that stressed how much safer it was to back into a parking spot . They said how much easier it was to leave the spot as you had a better view. I don't think much of the public took heed of that message as I still regularly see drivers just pulling into a spot when they could move forward.:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
It's difficult , especially in our suburban mall and other public parking lots when you have people wandering all about the lot distracted by texting, talking incessantly on their cell phone, being confused because they can't find their car, or just in general not paying attention. Also there are impatient drivers who speed through the lot putting others at danger, and as previously mentioned by myself, the large vehicles usually parked on either or both sides obstructing the view.There have been many occasions when I was forced to pull into my parking spot, and then had one hell of a time trying to get out. Everytime I tried there would be someone not paying attention, walking by, or a car that just appeared out of nowhere driving a little too fast. It would be easier to spot these "hazards" and react quicker if I were facing out and could inch out slower and have less of my vehicle exposed to the dangers of being hit, or hitting someone else. I don't know if you have these same problems in the UK, but they sure are plentiful here in the States.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Your so close! Slap a couple of image tags around your links and the pics show up
"[img]your link[/img]" without the " .

The funny thing is your proving my point. You refuse to do something another way even though in my opinion it is easier than arguing with the site admin.

I would do it that way IF IT WORKED! As someone else on here said, there definitely is a problem and it will be fixed. I didn't "refuse to do something another way at all" - I did try uploading from a URL and it DIDN'T WORK.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: Is This OK/legal to Do?

Let me try one more time - making the adjustments suggested by AirJer:

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/awesomecool/431697830/[/img]

Let me tell you that I am the GW BUSH of coding. I cannot type a www address, let alone uplink to an image!
Old 09-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

See? Doesn't work for me. I'll just post links from now on.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97ventureowner View Post
I don't know if you have these same problems in the UK, but they sure are plentiful here in the States.
Uhm, I'm from Stamford, CT if you looked at my profile - unless I have a setting wrong there too(!)

Oops - I realized you were referring to DrunkenMonkey!
Old 09-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
Not sure if this applies in the US but in the UK, the diagonal parking bay thing is only applicable if the direction of traffic is one way; simple reason being that in two-way traffic, you don't hamper anyone.
In a one way traffic system, if you pull through, you will be facing on-coming traffic.
In two way traffic, you simply pull out and into the correct flow of traffic.

I already indicated that I never attempt to park face out in a diagonal parking situation. Only in perpendicular lots, where it actually makes sense:

My honest belief: People do not pull-through because they think they're not supposed to. The "invisible wall" mentality if you will. A driver may be the first and only car to arrive in that lot above, and will stop when their nose reaches the space in front of them. Not because they're not thinking clearly, but because they think it's wrong to.

Y'see drunkenmonkey, morality controls our ways here in the good ole USA, not logic! (sheesh, how ever did we get to the Moon??)
Old 09-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothHandler View Post
Let me try one more time - making the adjustments suggested by AirJer:

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/awesomecool/431697830/[/img]

Let me tell you that I am the GW BUSH of coding. I cannot type a www address, let alone uplink to an image!

Here is the picture you were trying to post in the above quote. It is fairly easy and I will tell you how to do it quickly.
What I did was save the picture from that link to my computer. in your case any picture you want to post in a thread should be in your computer, perhaps in your My Pictures folder if using a Windows based OS. (You can always delete the picture from your computer when you are done if disk space is needed.) From there I went to www.tinypic.com. I hit the "Browse" button and it brought up the folder the pic was in. I selected the picture, make sure you rename it to something familiar so you can find it again.Once I selected the picture, the link from your computer appeared in the box marked "FILE" which is next to the Browse button. You then hit the UPLOAD button and the code for the picture appears. You use the code in the second box marked "For forums and message boards". All you do is copy and paste that link directly into your post and when you submit your post here it appears. The code for the picture I got from tinypic for this picture was :http://i29.tinypic.com/o85phv.jpg[/IMG]( I have removed the front tag which was [IMG] so the picture wouldn't appear in this spot, rather the code would so you could see it.) This is one of the easiest ways I know to post pics in your thread using a free picture hosting site.
(By the way, the attachments option that currently is not working right, hasn't worked at all for years. It wasn't until the site upgraded it's software earlier this year that the functionality was restored.During that time the procedure I outlined above was one of the only ways to put pics in your posts.)

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
parking
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > General Issues