Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > General Issues
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General Issues General legal automotive problem discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Shamrock6
AF Newbie

Bad used part installed!

Hello,

The rear differential in my Audi went bad. My mechanic found one with he said 60,000 miles on it. it came from a used parts dealer with a 90 day warranty. the mechanic installed the differential, I paid the bill, drove off and experienced the same problem(bearing noise) with the new differential. The mechanic came for a spin and agreed we were given a bad part. He now has another used part for me he will install tomorrow.

Who pays for the additional labor required for him taking out the bad and putting in the new differential?

Thanks!
Shamrock6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
mcmalloy
AF Regular

Re: Bad used part installed!

i would take the car to the used parts dealer , they warranty it ,they should replace that part at there cost
mcmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmalloy View Post
i would take the car to the used parts dealer , they warranty it ,they should replace that part at there cost
No, don't do that. Used parts suppliers will replace a defective part, but they do not compensate you for the labour to put it in. This is one reason why buying used parts is a gamble.

Your mechanic is responsible. He bought the part to install in your car, so he is responsible for replacing it again at his cost, if it's bad.

By comparison, if you had bought the part and asked your mechanic to install it for you, then you would have to pay the mechanic for replacing it again.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Shamrock6
AF Newbie

Majicrat, that sounds like great advice.

Thanks!
Shamrock6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
snshddog
AF Regular

Not sure if the same laws apply where you are but in ontario a mechanic must warrenty his labor and parts when he gets them for a customer for 90 days. Here most used parts have a 30 day warrenty. That said, if you supply the part new or used the mechanic does not have to warrenty anything. So since he got it for you, you should be covered.
This is why at my shop if a customer wants anything not from my regular supplier that will cover me then they can bring me their own part.
snshddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
TomsForeign
AF Newbie

We sell used parts with a 6 Month Guarantee standard (no labor) and then we offer extended regular and extended labor guarantees. We really try to clearly state that its a part only guarantee before we sell anything.

With that said in your case the mechanic should cover you. If he sourced you any part that's bad, new or used, then he's the one that got the warranty and he should be guaranteeing his labor. The part and warranty were sold to the mechanic, not to you.

Also have him re investigate whats wrong with the car. I had a used transmission put in, made the same noise it did before, shop swore it was the transmission but in the end it was a wheel bearing. Some blame the part quicker then their diagnosis.
TomsForeign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
shahbaz
AF Newbie

Mechanics always say you to buy used part from them but you should be cleaver, never buy used parts of car
shahbaz is offline   Reply With Quote