Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
scottsee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to scottsee
CAS Wire Question & Machinest Question

Last Thursday I bought a 1g 4g63T complete Head, Intake, TB w/all the sensors for $68.36 from the local yard to finish up my 6bolt. My 96 GSX is one of the crazy years where the CAS isn't connected to the Camshaft. Will I need to go back to the yard and snag that CAS harness/plugs for the sensor? Eventually I'll be doing a 6bolt swap and I just didn't think about it when I was out there.

I might end up having enough cash before winter to get this Block/Head Hot Tanked; The Block Honed; Crank Pollished and the (stock) Rotating Assembly Ballanced w/Flywheel. I bought a Cometic 85.5mm New for $45 On here about 6 months ago (Hope to god I dont have to Bore the block), and I was wondering if I needed a "RA30" Head finish done while the block and head was at the machinest for a better seal with this HG? I'll also (eventually) be buying ARP head studs just becasue their isn't much point of skimping $90 once you'll gone that far.

Am I missing anything? Thanks Guys!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:43 AM   #2
kjewer1
AF - Advisor

Re: CAS Wire Question & Machinest Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsee
Last Thursday I bought a 1g 4g63T complete Head, Intake, TB w/all the sensors for $68.36 from the local yard to finish up my 6bolt. My 96 GSX is one of the crazy years where the CAS isn't connected to the Camshaft. Will I need to go back to the yard and snag that CAS harness/plugs for the sensor? Eventually I'll be doing a 6bolt swap and I just didn't think about it when I was out there.

I might not be reading this right, I'm confused for some reason. But I do the wiring on the vehicle end of the harness. So not cas wont matter. It would be nice to have a crap one so you can use the connector for a less permanent solution though. I think it's RRE or FP that sells a plug and play harness though. Did a 6 bolt swap with one last week, what a time saver that thing was... 60 bucks or so very well spent IMO, but maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age

Quote:
I might end up having enough cash before winter to get this Block/Head Hot Tanked; The Block Honed; Crank Pollished and the (stock) Rotating Assembly Ballanced w/Flywheel. I bought a Cometic 85.5mm New for $45 On here about 6 months ago (Hope to god I dont have to Bore the block), and I was wondering if I needed a "RA30" Head finish done while the block and head was at the machinest for a better seal with this HG? I'll also (eventually) be buying ARP head studs just becasue their isn't much point of skimping $90 once you'll gone that far.

Am I missing anything? Thanks Guys!
The HG will be a little bigger than the bore it is rated for, so boring it out should not cause a problem with the gasket. You should definitely let the machinist know that the setup will include a metal HG that requires a smoother finish than normal. I dont think my guy goes as far as verifying that its RA 30, but it works. Many poeple go to the cometic gasket thinking they will get a better seal only to blow it out easier than a stock unit because they didnt machine the parts to the correct finish. And yes, definitely do the studs. It's not even an option. The meanest HG in the world with the most ideal surface can't seal shit when the head bolts stretch
kjewer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
scottsee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: CAS Wire Question & Machinest Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 GSXracer
I might not be reading this right, I'm confused for some reason. But I do the wiring on the vehicle end of the harness. So not cas wont matter. It would be nice to have a crap one so you can use the connector for a less permanent solution though. I think it's RRE or FP that sells a plug and play harness though. Did a 6 bolt swap with one last week, what a time saver that thing was... 60 bucks or so very well spent IMO, but maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age
Im trying to have this make sence. but Im' not doing a great job explaining myself. Sorry!

What I know for sure is my 96 GSX doesn't have the same CAS location. Will I need to Male Plug that connects into the 1g CAS from the 94 Talon that it came from? Im unsure if my 96 GSX has the same style connection. I'm also unsure if the wires from my 96 GSX is long enough to alow it to stretch upto the side of the Cylinder Head where the CAS is located on this 1g Head.

Shit, I hope that makes sence.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
kjewer1
AF - Advisor

"sense?" LMAO, had to...

I'm still lost. Do we agree that your car has the CAS behind the intake cam gear? The wiring when done by hand according to the RRE site will require lengthening the wires to reach over to the passenger side of the head, where the 1g cas and 97-99 cas mounts up. If you get the adapter harness I mentioned above it is long enough to make the reach over there FYI. It definitely does not plug right in. The 1g cas works entirely different than the 2g setup. RRE has the wiring diagrams. There are 2 versions, ignore the fancy one with the chip, you can invert the cas signal in DSMlink.

I think I may have found the source of the condusion... You don't have the wiring harness/pigtail for the 1g CAS do you You'll need that, unless you get the plug and play harness mentioned above.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:30 PM   #5
scottsee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: CAS Wire Question & Machinest Question

Quote:
RRE has the wiring diagrams. There are 2 versions, ignore the fancy one with the chip, you can invert the cas signal in DSMlink.
So, If I'm understanding this. The following link discribes how to wire the 1g CAS for it to work correctly with my 96 gsx. I'll still need to switch plugs 1 and 4 into 2 and 3 & 2 and 3 into 1 and 4 at the coil?
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/1gcasin2g95-96M2.htm

Quote:
I think I may have found the source of the condusion... You don't have the wiring harness/pigtail for the 1g CAS do you You'll need that, unless you get the plug and play harness mentioned above.
I did not snag the wire harness or connertor for the 1g CAS. That was my question. Looks like I need to go do that before it's gone!! Do I have to cut those wires out of the Salvage Yard talon. or do they just unclip from a harness?
Old 09-02-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
1stGenRocks
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 1stGenRocks

cut them. i havent done a 6 bolt in a 2g but it sounds like you should snag about a foot of wire with them. just cut the tape and shit off the harness and dig out a foot of wire to keep with the plug.
95 Tsi AWD: 6 bolt, DSMLink, 880's, ACT 2600, lightweight flywheel, AGX's, Dropzone springs, poly motor mounts and suspension bushings, 3 inch turboback, gus modded 1g BOV, hardpipes, drilled & slotted rotors, 17's

plans: bastard 20g, water/meth injection NO FMIC
1stGenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 PM   #7
scottsee
AF Enthusiast

Rodger that.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
kjewer1
AF - Advisor

Yes, that is the RRE diagram to use. You will have to swap the plug wires/coils since the 1g cas puts out a signal that is out of phase relative to the stock setup.

Glad we finally got to the bottom of this. I was starting to think I must be an asshole or something. I'm not always all there...
Old 09-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #9
scottsee
AF Enthusiast

Good help is hard to find. Thanks for the.....Patience.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic