Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 06:31 PM   #1
jOYRiDe
AF Fanatic

Question wot the f*ck happened to my VTEC?

just after the engine swap, my vtec was kickin in at 5700rpms....but lately (after many races) it kicks in at 6100rpms (i have a shift lite to shine when it hits vtec).... am i just driving the car too hard and now its failing? f*ck btw its a jdm b16a engine
jOYRiDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 10:16 PM   #2
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
6100 does sound very high, have you checked the oil level? and ECY for codes.

Its possible your running low on oil pressure, and its taking till 6,700 to build enough to activate the VTEC. (but if its to low it will normaly set off the check engine light and run in limp home mode.)

I assume your VTEC light is wired off the ECU, which means its not a problem with the solonoid, but with the ECU sending the signal very late.
This could mean many things.
Its possible one of the sensors it faulty, and not allowing the VTEC to trigger untill 6,100rpm. Or it could mean your tack is out. Or the shift light is out.

On a B16a you can hear the change over, does it corospond with the light coming on?
Old 12-27-2001, 02:44 PM   #3
jOYRiDe
AF Fanatic

yeah the vtec 'roar' and shift lite come on at the same time and i change the oil regularly.... oh and the shift lite is wired up to the solenoid, not the ecu

but there is a problem with the engine light coming on.... there is a piece broken off the back of the engine (my brother knows exactly wot it is) and he hasnt replaced it yet.. something to do with oil pressure valve i think (i cant remember)... the part is hard to find since its a JDM engine and a mechanic says that it is still possible to drive.... do u think it has something to do with my vtec problem?

this may sound a abit odd but would the vtec problem occur because there is not enough voltage/current to activate vtec?? i have no idea wot im talking about, could it be a possibility?
Old 12-27-2001, 11:23 PM   #4
AznRide
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznRide
Fix that problem and get a vtec controller...set it at 5000 rpm and you'll be safe. IMO

"I never had a dream come true, 'til the day that I found you, even though, I pretend that I've moved on, you'll always be, my baby..."
- S Club 7
AznRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 03:25 PM   #5
Frostbyte
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Frostbyte
Quote:
Originally posted by AznRide
Fix that problem and get a vtec controller...set it at 5000 rpm and you'll be safe. IMO
That will not fix the problem that something is causing that VTEC to kick in late. Find out what that problem is VIA the ECU code. Then fix it, After that then get a VTEC controller if you want to. But forcing the car to kick in with VTEC early when there a problem may cause more problems.
JIC Magic Front and Rear Strut Bars
Slotted and Cross-drilled Rotors
S/S Brake Lines
Pivot Lazy eye controller
Blitz LM Intake
Blitz D1 Spec Turbo Timer
Soon to come:
Sard 550cc Injectors
Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust
Blitz Down pipe
HKS FMIC
http://www.driftmonkey.com (Part Owner)
Frostbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 07:54 PM   #6
AznRide
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznRide

Quote:
Originally posted by Frostbyte

That will not fix the problem that something is causing that VTEC to kick in late. Find out what that problem is VIA the ECU code. Then fix it, After that then get a VTEC controller if you want to. But forcing the car to kick in with VTEC early when there a problem may cause more problems.
---
What is the different between these two messages???I said fix the problem and get a .... he said that's not right, first you gotta fix the problem, then get a Vtec...maybe he just wanna show off his writing skill or something...

"I never had a dream come true, 'til the day that I found you, even though, I pretend that I've moved on, you'll always be, my baby..."
- S Club 7
AznRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 02:41 AM   #7
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
maybe he just wanna show off his writing skill or something...
And or his ingnorance on the matter.

Low voltage is an interesting possiblity. Check the earth conection for the VTEC solonoid, it may be dirty or loose.
Also if you can, trace the wire from the ECU to the soloniod, and check the ECU's Wires. It could be a loose pin in the plug, or somewhere.

If the ECU is not getting a correct message from any of the sensors it will throw a code, and oil pressure and temp are both important for VTEC activation. Its possible the Pressure sensor is causing the problem

I can get new parts for these cars, as so many are sold here that Honda NZ gets true replacement JDM parts. Iv already sent Setanta some bits like an engine mount that he couldn't get in aussie.

If you tell me exactly what the part is, or get a part number or something off it I can easily get you a new one.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:13 PM   #8
praxis
AF Enthusiast

Is that 'thingy' that is broken off, on the back of the engine possibly your oil pressure switch...that will definately cause this problem. Has it always been broken (since you swapped)? Do some looking around...the american version of your engine may actually hold the same part#.

vtec lights are dope. Ever thought of hooking your horn or a siren into the solenoid...just kidding.

PraxisPerformanceAutoworks LLC High performance autoparts & accessories.
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 06:16 PM   #9
praxis
AF Enthusiast

woops!

I didn't realize that the image was that big...If you don't mind-edit it out. It takes forever to load.

SORRY!

PraxisPerformanceAutoworks LLC High performance autoparts & accessories.
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 10:45 PM   #10
hondaman-iac
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to hondaman-iac Send a message via Yahoo to hondaman-iac
Quote:
Originally posted by praxis
Ever thought of hooking your horn or a siren into the solenoid...just kidding.
LMAO

i would say there is something in thge wiring. i'm not a vtec guy anyway.

92 ACCORD LX -- powered by a blown F22A1
Current Mods:
*rear lower tiebar
*AEM CAI
*Koni Yellow Struts
*Ground Control coilovers
*Energy suspension bushing kit
*front upper strut bar
*rear upper strut bar
PureHonda member since April 2001

hondaman-iac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 02:37 AM   #11
jOYRiDe
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie

I can get new parts for these cars, as so many are sold here that Honda NZ gets true replacement JDM parts. Iv already sent Setanta some bits like an engine mount that he couldn't get in aussie.

If you tell me exactly what the part is, or get a part number or something off it I can easily get you a new one.
thanks for the help moppie, i'll have to check out wot exactly is broken (i havent seen it in a while cos my brother put it somewhere). i think its a black plastic piece, shaped like a tube and it is white inside with a single pin in the middle....here is a crappy drawing ( . ) hahah yeah its a crap drawing alrite

i'll check up on the part number (honda dealers dont know the number and jap wreckers are no help after u buy the engine)

thanks to u other guys aswell!!
Old 01-02-2002, 11:23 PM   #12
Moppie
Master Connector

Quote:
Originally posted by jOYRiDe
i'll check up on the part number (honda dealers dont know the number and jap wreckers are no help after u buy the engine)
If there isnt a number printed on it, then just tell me which sensor it is.
and where it sits. When facing the back of the engine, is it on the left, middle or right hand side.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:26 AM   #13
jOYRiDe
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie

If there isnt a number printed on it, then just tell me which sensor it is.
and where it sits. When facing the back of the engine, is it on the left, middle or right hand side.

ok if where standing in front of the car, looking into the bay, the switch is located on the back of the engine, on the right side....its above the sensor where u can hook up an oil pressure gauge to it
Old 01-07-2002, 07:33 PM   #14
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 5_LiTeR_EaTeR
Now is it on the block or the Intake manifold? you can't really see it if its on the back of the block standing there.... But it could be your Throttle Positioning Sensor on your throttle body. I am guessing that.
5_LiTeR_EaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote