Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 08:58 PM   #1
stangslayer
AF Newbie

talon vs civic vs cavalier vs others

Right now I've got a race car that can be driven on the street (400+hp 76' camaro) and a daily driver (96 cavalier) neither is in great shape but both have engines with under 2000 miles. What I want is a daily driver that with all the options, 30+MPG, reliability, and low 13 second time slips. What is the best platform to start with? I'm thinking it'll have to be light and front wheel drive to get satisfy the good gas milage goal and definatly need a power adder(I like turbos). I don't have a whole lot of money to throw at it cause I'm getting married next year, but all said and done, it has to be under 10k CDN (I'd sell both of my current cars). Here are some selections, but feel free to throw in any others that might make good canidates .

98 cavalier z24
95 civic
92-94 TSI talon
96+ hyundia accent
93 MX-6 or MX-3
94 celica
others

any of these have drivetrains strong enough to hand the power needed for low 13's? how about bottom end strength? I don't want to rebuild the engine if I don't have to, but I also don't want it to fly apart as soon as it is forced to deal with the power produced by the turbo/SC.

What ever the final choice is will probably receive the normal exhuast/intake upgrades along with a turbo kit aftermarket clutch and possibly a port job done to the head.

Last edited by stangslayer; 03-04-2004 at 09:54 PM.
stangslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187
Re: talon vs civic vs cavalier vs others

i would get an eclipse instead of the talon. the talon is not reliable at all. so the eclipse is the one i would get out of the list.

but if you are willing to go with an n/a, i would get a 300zx n/a. you can turbocharge them, but that takes tons and tons of money and tons of time and work. if you are willing to spend an extra 5000, you can get a 300zx tt. but either way i have heard that the vg30de (engine in 300zx) can handle 500 hp on stock internals.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:16 PM   #3
del
móddə rąytər

30+mpg with low 13 second time slips? one usually cancels out the other. haha. i'd knock out all those options cept the eclipse/talon and civic. both have extensive aftermarket support which appears to be what you're looking for, especially the civic.
del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:48 AM   #4
AcesHigh
Prelude Guy

Send a message via AIM to AcesHigh
Re: Re: talon vs civic vs cavalier vs others

Talons and Eclipses are the same car. Their internals can take alot of punishment for the most part. You get a nice stock turbo. And if you find one, an all wheel drive platform to work on.

It does sound like you want a Civic, but it's not cheap to make a Civic into a fast car. Most people don't get past i/h/e. Civic's aren't that great to begin with. Even Civic Si's are pitiful.

Why not just keep both your cars if you want to save money. It seems like you've got a good car to get timeslips, and another good car to get around.

1993 Mazda Rx-7 Touring
Ricer Extraordinaire
AcesHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:07 AM   #5
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: Re: Re: talon vs civic vs cavalier vs others

Theres an EG civic here in NZ with a B18c in it that will run 13s and still get 300mpg.
However thats with race slicks, and a totaly, and I mean totaly stripped interior.

Or at least it was running 13s with a stock engine, but is now getting closer to the 11s, with a modfied engine.

Your problem is going to be getting into the 13s in a car that is still going to be a reliable daily driver, I personaly don't think it can be easily done with the above list, you might want to think about repowering your Camaro with something a little more street friendly.
Or look at altering your expectations.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
camaroincal
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to camaroincal
Have you looked into a used LS1 Camaro? I've read many times that with a light foot you can get 30 mpg on the freeway...with the 6 speed anyway. The engine from what I understand is very reliable. AND..the 6 speed's are known to run low 13's in the quarter mile. Plus I see you own a Camaro so this seems like a perfect fit. =)
camaroincal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

the talon is the best bet, its probably the cheapest to get down to 11,s
and easiest and is known for running the 1/4 in sub 10 sec with upgrades. you can get the talon in awd or fwd. only worry is the tranny. upgrade that and its all love
Old 03-05-2004, 06:36 PM   #8
stangslayer
AF Newbie

how much power can a stock trans in a talon take? 300hp? I don't know fwd car capabilities that well so all input is appreciated .
Old 03-06-2004, 08:09 PM   #9
stealthj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stealthj
Re: Re: talon vs civic vs cavalier vs others

heh forget all those , i say get a 95 240SX

it can handle plenty and PLUS its rear wheel drive

trust me you will like it and the engine it comes with get like 28MPG
Old 03-07-2004, 11:05 AM   #10
Vettribution
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Vettribution Send a message via Yahoo to Vettribution
If you dig the Cavaliers...You need the Cavaliers with the Ecotec engine in it. They replaced the crappy little four-banger a couple years back for one thats easily upgradable, and able to handle the additional power. Its been in competition with imports since its come out, and has done pretty damned well for a newly released engine. The Cavalier has always been a joke. For some reason Chevy got a little serious.. and showed they were in the market to compete with imports.. or soon would be. I have seen Cavaliers with the Ecotec with 750HP+ with Turbos and the works.. Also from what I can tell Chevy will be more closely involved with the aftermarket parts for the Ecotec.. (To see signs of GM's ecotec.. look at the Cobalt SS,and the Saturn Ion Redline for ideas of whats to come. Anyways.. I got a little sidetracked..but look for a Cavalier with the Ecotec.. and you have a cheap car that can be upgraded pretty easily.
Vettribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 01:41 PM   #11
stangslayer
AF Newbie

great ideas. I've always wanted a new f-body but their still out of my price range. I'll keep my eyes open for a cavy with the ecotec for cheap.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons