Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
bass_caster
AF Newbie

soaked front carpeting

2000 nb LS 5.3l 4x4 220,000miles

i have weather tec floor mats on both sides up front and i decided after a long nasty winter they were due for a hosing off and cleaning. when i pulled them out i noticed the carpeting underneath was soaked on both the passenger and drivers side. i dont think it can be moisture from snow melt since no one really rides in the passenger seat in this vehicle during the winter. also, i used a white towel to absorb the bulk of the water and it came up perfectly clean, no sand or dirt on the towel. when the roads are clean and clear i have another vehicle i drive so at time the tahoe sits parked on the driveway which has a slight downhill slope (front of vehicle faces downhill). it doesnt look or smell like coolant. its clean and ordorless. i never noticed any moisture on top of the weather tec mats at any point. also, my windshield is not cracked if that makes a difference.

so...my question is, are there any common spots prone to leaking rain or snow melt into the vehicle?
bass_caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: soaked front carpeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass_caster View Post
2000 nb LS 5.3l 4x4 220,000miles

i have weather tec floor mats on both sides up front and i decided after a long nasty winter they were due for a hosing off and cleaning. when i pulled them out i noticed the carpeting underneath was soaked on both the passenger and drivers side. i dont think it can be moisture from snow melt since no one really rides in the passenger seat in this vehicle during the winter. also, i used a white towel to absorb the bulk of the water and it came up perfectly clean, no sand or dirt on the towel. when the roads are clean and clear i have another vehicle i drive so at time the tahoe sits parked on the driveway which has a slight downhill slope (front of vehicle faces downhill). it doesnt look or smell like coolant. its clean and ordorless. i never noticed any moisture on top of the weather tec mats at any point. also, my windshield is not cracked if that makes a difference.

so...my question is, are there any common spots prone to leaking rain or snow melt into the vehicle?
NBS this may be from the drain tube being blocked. open the hvac air box where the air/cabin filterS are located . remove the filters and inspect for debris.

your seats need removal and the carpets removed until they are 100% dry . this may take a very long time. this will reduce mold/smell. cleaning with a 5% bleach and water should kill any that might try to grow.

use the vehicle with carpet removed until you find the problem.

the other item is the windshield. If this has been replaced , there is a very good chance this was not properly installed.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
bass_caster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
NBS this may be from the drain tube being blocked. open the hvac air box where the air/cabin filterS are located . remove the filters and inspect for debris.

the other item is the windshield. If this has been replaced , there is a very good chance this was not properly installed.
i just replaced the cabin air filters maybe a month ago and vaccumed out the airbox as much as i could of debris. where does this drain tube you're referring to start and where does it end?

also, the windsheild is original, not a replacement.
bass_caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
slo99sierra
AF Regular

Quote:
i just replaced the cabin air filters maybe a month ago and vaccumed out the airbox as much as i could of debris. where does this drain tube you're referring to start and where does it end?

The drain tube is underhood. There is a silver cylinder/canister on the passenger side. Underneath it is a a drain pan. There should be a small rubber 90 degree elbow that one end points down. Take it off. The actual drain is what's left after you pull the elbow. Take a flexible solid metal wire (coat hanger preferably) and run an end of it in the hole and run it out and see if any trash or dirt comes out. It'll be hard to see the trash, you might just end up dislodging it, in which it'll come out soon enough.

Last edited by slo99sierra; 03-17-2011 at 06:49 PM.
slo99sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:

post back what you found. most times it is the air box not draining. follow the instructions that was given to clear out any debris. If you did have debris in the air box then this tube being blocked is most likely the problem.

It is possible other areas may cause this so with the carpet out drying you should find this quickly.

sealants are tricky . the use of dow 795 is best because it does not cause the metal to corrode . also the product is a sealer not a adhesive. this will allow removal of components when time comes to repair them ..this stays soft and flexible..comes in may colors.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
slo99sierra
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post

sealants are tricky . the use of dow 795 is best because it does not cause the metal to corrode . also the product is a sealer not a adhesive. this will allow removal of components when time comes to repair them ..this stays soft and flexible..comes in may colors.
I forgot that this was an SUV and not a truck. The trucks are notorious for having leaky 3rd brake lights. OP, forget what I said.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
Prof_h
AF Newbie

My 2010 Tahoe has had wet carpet for years! I finally cleaned out the a/c drain with a high power hose and upside down funnel. I put the small end of the funnel into the rubber drain tube, then turn on the hose and shoot water up the funnel into the tube. Took me a few times to clean it out, but it is clean now and I see a water puddle under the front passenger side when I park. We have a mud wasp that will clog any hole with mud, so I guess I'll have to stay up on cleaning this drain out.

'10 Chevy Tahoe - toy hauler
Prof_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

placing a screen over the hole will help make the screen bigger than the hose end like 4X the size..

mud wasp did cause issues for where I worked as they created nest in the air braking system , to get damaged , when the vehicles sat unused.