Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
sailorjenny
AF Newbie

How to get into engineering?

Hello, I'm new here. I'll tell a bit about myself.

I've always been into cars since I was little (that and dinosaurs). I collected hot wheels, tool kits, building kits, you name it I owned it. As I got older life moved in different directions but I still always have taken interest in it. I suppose I never pursued it because I thought that as a female, I'm supposed to be doing 'clean' jobs like art, or office work. Well, I don't care about that anymore. I want to get back to what I liked to do when I was younger. So I joined this forum and talked to some friends as well with hopes that I can learn more about cars.

As of now, I'm in school online, so I want to start out slow with basic learning and getting my hands dirty. I'd prefer on the job training or something I can do on weekends rather than trying to go to a school because I'm already knees deep in college shooting for my BS.

So if you'd like, share your stories on how you got into cars, and (if you work with cars) how you got your first job with them. I appreciate any advice and reponse.
sailorjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Re: How to get into engineering?

Are you looking to be an engineer or a technician? I got started as a tech by doing side work, taking some classes, and getting a job as a lube tech in a shop with room for advancement. Hands-on work is 10x more effective than any class for teaching this sort of skill. Find a friend who is willing to teach you.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

I grew up on a farm- driving tractors at age 7 and trucks at age 12- mini bilke at age 14 and bought a 68 Camaro 396 4 spd at age 16- always loved working on stuff- making carts, bikes sleds etc. Took all the tough classes in school- was valedictorian and then went on to engineering school and landed a co-op job with GM- the rest is history-- co-oping was the best thing ever- only ever had one interview in my life- the co-op job-- GM hired me on full time after graduation from college...
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brcidd For This Useful Post:
sailorjenny (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
sailorjenny
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgames33 View Post
Are you looking to be an engineer or a technician? I got started as a tech by doing side work, taking some classes, and getting a job as a lube tech in a shop with room for advancement. Hands-on work is 10x more effective than any class for teaching this sort of skill. Find a friend who is willing to teach you.
More towards being a tech. I'd rather start small and learn all the bits and pieces and hands on before looking to anything else. I've already started asking both my dad and a coworker to show me the ropes so I'm looking forward to learning some things in the following weeks. What sort of classes did you take?
sailorjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

I took an automotive tech program at a local college. I also spent a few years buying broken cars to fix and re-sell. That gave me extra hands-on experience on a car that I didn't care about. Most low-end jobs like lube tech/tire tech require little or no experience and are a great way to be around the stuff. Just make sure you pick a shop that does everything - you won't learn much in a quick lube or a Wal-Mart. Show interest and make friends with the technicians that are willing to teach.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vgames33 For This Useful Post:
sailorjenny (02-23-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
swingline
AF Newbie

There are lots of good tech schools throughout the country. I went to Denver Automotive and Diesel College (now Lincoln Tech) and worked in the field to pay my way through college. Hands on is an effective way of learning but having a theory based knowledge makes the difference between a "shadetree mechanic" and an automotive technician.
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swingline For This Useful Post:
shorod (03-04-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Clive.Bird
AF Newbie

You should prefer going to a workshop to hone your skills. Going to a regular school for technical stuff will be an added advantage. Good Luck!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Tami.P
AF Newbie

Really good to see that you are going in the field in which you have interest. I am also a female and persuade my interest in this field and right now i am the owner of a company named Marks Old Towne which is specially for truck services and maintenance.
So, i am with you. Go with your interest and have a wonderful life ahead.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
harbor
AF Newbie

Here we have a few people in the professional life that they are working what the they want to do but lot of people do not have interest in their field so its a good step but for the training you have to go a training center to work practically then only you will be expert in your field.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
GenericUsername
AF Newbie

I don't really get if you're still in highschool or if you're currently taking college classes. Some highschools offer a program called Principles of Engineering, and they teach you the basics of engineering and essentially initiate you into it. There's quite a bit of math though (nothing too bad, just some geometry & trigonometry). My school offers it, but I'm not sure how common it is. It'd be something to look into though if you're currently in HS.
GenericUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #11
Toshi44
AF Newbie

For best engineering placement there are several institutes available for preparation of entrance exam. Consult best institute and achieving good score in entrance will lead you good engineering college.
Toshi44 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical