Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts
Books on the Mclaren - Which ones to get and why

I have been toying with this for a while now, and seeing as I have just increased my own Mclaren library with a new addition, I thought I may as well make a thread on it.

I currently have [just the one copy ] of Driving Ambition as my starting point for my interest in the F1

I have recently bought Michael Cotton's GTR [with #03R in West livery on the front] as I thought it was about time I got one after hearing about how good it was from Le Man and finally tracking one down and then being in a position to buy it.

Mclaren - The Cars 1967-2008 seemed a logical buy

Velocity, as I was directed to it from people on here

Mclaren F1 GTR LM Sportscar Performance Portfolio, as it has lots of early road tests and articles from various magazines on the F1, good price too! ( for the reminder webslinger283)

and Into the Red 2nd edition with #10R on the front. I already had the 1st edition, but that came without the F1. As soon a I heard he got the F1 and had added it to a new edition of his book, I just had to get it [If you've got it, you've just gotta love the sound DVD in the back]

My newest acquisition, not yet received by me but en route as of today from America, is this

Luckily I found it on Ebay and only paid $99.50 for it . I was even more pleased when saw this. IIRC Le Man [there seems to be a trend going on here; If I go Bankrupt blame him ] suggested it as one of the books to get, and seeing as it was so cheap I thought it prudent to do so.

After reading back a few years and doing a search on here, I found this post from Archangel from way back in August 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelGTR
McLaren GTR by Michael Cotton
1995 GT Endurance
1996 GT Endurance
1997 GT Endurance

1995 Le Mans 24 Hours
1996 Le Mans 24 Hours
1997 Le Mans 24 Hours
1998 Le Mans 24 Hours

These all have great shots of the McLaren GTR's in various warpaint.
With the 1st book being specifically on the 95-96 McLaren GTRs - plenty of great photos along with information regarding the GTRs. Good luck finding these. I believe all are out of print. I was able to find 1 other 1997 GT Endurance GT at an online bookstore in Florida. There's a site in England that claims to sell some of the Endurance books but they have never processed my order. (Going on a year now.) Some pop up on ebay, but I think you'll be trying to outbid Peloton or myself on a few of these.

I have all except the 95 GT Endurance. Peloton was kind enough to show the cover picture in another thread.
Regards
So, which books of the Mclaren F1 are in your collection?

Last edited by hurstg01; 01-13-2009 at 01:56 AM.
hurstg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

Re: Books on the Mclaren - Which ones to get and why

Its one of my goals to write a book on the F1. Sort of like "Where are they now?" kind of thing. IMO there is a lot of stuff DA doesn't cover and now, 10+ years on, i think it would be interesting to look at how certain cars have changed and go over things like street legal GTR's. Of course, it would be hard to not be too specific (i think things like chassis #'s would need to be left out unless they are clearly known) and i'm pretty sure Mclaren wouldn't like it too much so there would be copyright to deal with. But i'm sure with everyone's help here and with the help of some owners (i'm pretty sure we could get at least a few to help us), it could be done.

One day.....
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

Oh yea. 2 copies of DA, Into the Red and a few others that have features on the McLaren (2 copies of the Ralph Lauren collection, Velocity etc)

No BPR or Cotton books for me yet
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

I'd like to get 1995

and 1997 copies of GT Endurance

for me next
Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstg01
...and 1997 copies of GT Endurance

for me next
Greg - I am fairly certain I ended up with an extra copy of that one. Let's do a deal when you are ready to buy. I'll give you a fair price for it.

I still need Michael Cotton's GTR book - can't believe I still don't have a copy of that one myself.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini magic
Oh yea. 2 copies of DA, Into the Red and a few others that have features on the McLaren (2 copies of the Ralph Lauren collection, Velocity etc)
Velocity, forgot that one! Added it now though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25

Greg - I am fairly certain I ended up with an extra copy of that one. Let's do a deal when you are ready to buy. I'll give you a fair price for it.
>8^)
ER
I may take you up on that at a later date
Old 01-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Yeah - I was struggling to get a copy of the 1996 book, and then there was an auction that offered the 1996 and 1997 versions together for a decent "Buy it Now" price, so even though I had the 1997 book I went for it. I'll save it for you - just let me know whenever.

The other books to add would be the 24Hrs of LeMans books for each year. I am fairly certain my library includes the 1995-1997 and perhaps 1998 too. I'll have to look later.

Another book everyone should have, and it can usually be found rather cheap, is the "AutoCar - F1 - McLaren Road Car" soft-cover book that came as an insert with AutoCar magazine one month in 1994. It's like a "Driving Ambition" preview.

>8^)
ER
Old 01-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
webslinger283
AF Regular

McLaren F1 GTR LM Sportscars Performance Portfolio (Paperback) found here at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/McLaren-GTR-Sp...1803563&sr=8-1 it is basically a bunch of the early magazine article condensed down into one easy to find source...most of the pics have been changed to black and white but still you can't beat it for the price!!
webslinger283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Here's photos of the covers of the LeMans annuals from the years that McLarens were competing - I think I have them all, but will need to check.

Also, does anyone have a copy of this? I've seen it come through Ebay a couple of times, but have never been the winner. I think it is a lot like the McLaren F1 GTR LM Sportscars Performance Portfolio that webslinger just suggested based on the descriptions I have seen. It could even be the same content with just a different cover.

There's also this one too which I think is similar, but perhaps not the same, as well:

>8^)
ER
Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
bucciali
AF Regular

Nice list, Greg.

Driving Ambition is on my wish list and has been for a long LONG time. I know that is/was the same for many of you, so I'm not ashamed of not having bought it yet

I've always been wondering, whenever a thread came up about what eBay was offering at a particular time, whether buying through Amazon and/or McLaren themselves was not easier.

Just checked Amazon and lowest price is 200+ USD.
Then I checked McLaren's e-Shop, and it costs 60 GBP/80 USD, so I don't really understand where the Amazon stores get their prices from???

With the downfall of both the $ and the £, I better buy it now! :-)
bucciali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Good to see you again bucciali!

The McLarenShop price is the best I have seen in about a year. I'd agree, if it is in the budget you should jump on it now. The only way it could get cheaper again is if Virgin Books actually published another reprint and I don't believe they will.

>8^)
ER
Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
murraydeschot
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to murraydeschot

Quote:

ER
I've got that somewhere I'm sure that I bought off Ebay years back... scratchy old magazine reprints in black and white? Am I right?

As for Driving Ambition ... it's basically the F1 bible - albeit not too precise and definitive ... but if it was, the F1 forum here would be a rather silent place. I have a first edition copy of DA (bought in 1999?) and took the chassis numbers side of the poster and had it professionally framed.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #13
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraydeschot
I've got that somewhere I'm sure that I bought off Ebay years back... scratchy old magazine reprints in black and white? Am I right?
Correct indeed. Nice if you don't want to take the time to track down all the original publications, but the black and white printing kind of ruins it.

>8^)
ER
Old 01-14-2009, 01:57 AM   #14
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

^^ I've never seen it myself, nor the other one you posted Erik

perhaps I should start looking.........
Old 01-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #15
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Another book everyone should have, and it can usually be found rather cheap, is the "AutoCar - F1 - McLaren Road Car" soft-cover book that came as an insert with AutoCar magazine one month in 1994. It's like a "Driving Ambition" preview.

>8^)
ER
Just got this on a buy it now off ebay to add to the collection - was it this one?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1