Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
dmcline
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Advise

Advise please. I already have greasable sway bar bushings for the rear on my 2002 Xterra. I am looking for the same thing for the front. Also, any advise on using Synthetic Oil in the axles? The dealer told me it was not recommended.
dmcline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Re: Advise

Why would you want greaseable bushings? I'm not aware of any problem with them, they're about $2 each to replace if they ever wear out.

Synthetic oil is a VERY good idea in the diffs, your dealer was blowing smoke. 80W90 limited-slip-compatible GL5 oil is what you need.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: Re: Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadX
Why would you want greaseable bushings? I'm not aware of any problem with them, they're about $2 each to replace if they ever wear out.

Brent
They seem to wear out about 1000 miles after they're put in. The Nissan ones suck and will have a wear through point quite quickly, but I just keep 'em lubed whenever I'm pulling them apart.

The greasable Energy brackets don't hold up well at all up front. Here's the part number for urethane bushings which should at least last longer. Use the stock brackets.

Energy front sway center bushing: 9.5162
Old 03-10-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
dmcline
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schludwiller
They seem to wear out about 1000 miles after they're put in. The Nissan ones suck and will have a wear through point quite quickly, but I just keep 'em lubed whenever I'm pulling them apart.

The greasable Energy brackets don't hold up well at all up front. Here's the part number for urethane bushings which should at least last longer. Use the stock brackets.

Energy front sway center bushing: 9.5162

9.5162 are showing greasable on the energy suspension site. Do you have a link where I can find the ones you are talking about? Also, what do you think about putting a steering stabilizer on my truck? Thanks a lot.
dmcline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:34 PM   #5
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

Re: Advise

Royal Purple makes a syn axle oil that is LSD compatible. Napa carries or can order It.
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcline
9.5162 are showing greasable on the energy suspension site. Do you have a link where I can find the ones you are talking about? Also, what do you think about putting a steering stabilizer on my truck? Thanks a lot.
Yes, the bracket is greasable, but it's tin-foil, thus using the stock bracke. Me, personally I don't like steering stabilizers because I feel they hide suspension/steering problems from the driver. With a lift I need to know if anything is going goofy.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:54 AM   #7
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Re: Re: Re: Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schludwiller
They seem to wear out about 1000 miles after they're put in.
Hmm, mine lasted about 4 years up until I took the swaybar off for good. They were certainly ragged and in poor shape, but not completely shot.
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadX
Hmm, mine lasted about 4 years up until I took the swaybar off for good. They were certainly ragged and in poor shape, but not completely shot.
Maybe because you don't have a lift. The extra angle on the swaybar probably puts more pressure on the bushing. Worn through to metal bushings are pretty common in our club.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail