Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > 6000
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Road-Angel-240
AF Newbie

high pressure power steering hose leak

on my 89 pontiac 6000 with the 2.8 V6 H.O. fuel injected engine, the blasted high pressure power steering hose is leaking right at the factory crimp thing where hose meets steel pipe, which for the record nothing has discusted me more than them factory crimp things on any application like this.
I ripped apart a simular set up, an old ac line from another vehicle, and when i cut the crimp part away and sliced off the hose, it revaled a flared end on the steel pipe, does any one know if the steel pipe part has flared ends as well where the hose mounts onto, on the high pressure pwer steering line?

If it does i am not going to waiste money on a whole new line, id like to cut off the outer flare (factory crimp) cut off the hose, and attach a new high pressure rated hose over the flare (if presant) and attach the hose with hose clamps. any one know if this is at all possible?
Road-Angel-240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: high pressure power steering hose leak

That 'factory crimp' is a method of hose construction that has been used in about a billion hydraulic hoses. I made up many of these for my hydraulic-powered construction equipment with no leaks.

New hoses really are not all that expensive. You could also go to a wrecking yard and pull a similar one off another vehicle.

The hose-clamp method will not last a long time. The risk of using clamps is when (not if) it blows off, the system will dump all its fluid all over the engine compartment as you drive.
If your exhaust manifold is hot enough, you will have an under-hood fire on your hands. At the very least, your power steering pump will run dry, which will destroy it internally in a minute or two, if left running.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
Road-Angel-240
AF Newbie

Re: high pressure power steering hose leak

ok, so ultimantly I am better off to just replace the assembily with a new OEM assembily with the ' factory crimp ' I honestly dont want to screw the car up, it is all my wife and I have, some where in my mind I figured that I could customize that area since i had to do a repair any way, I was picturing something like the hose being covered with an aluminum weave dress up covering and cool flex style hose clamp covers, the kind that allow me do double clamp each end, but i guess that is one part of the engine area i am better off leaving alone or repairing with the "proper" equiptment, thanks for the hose imput
Road-Angel-240 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > 6000