Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 900
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
sbushnak
AF Newbie

Unhappy 94 Saab 900S V6 problem

Hello everyone,
I have a problem with my 1994 Saab 900S with the 2.5 V6 engine and automatic transmission.

Some basic info first:

I just got this car about a month ago and the previous owner has changed the water pump and timing belt. The car has about 112xxx miles on it. The car is located in Columbus, OH.

The only thing he told me to change was the transmission fluid, which was a brownish color. I took the car to Jiffy Lube and they have changed the fluid. Before that, the CHECK GEARBOX light comes on sometimes. I turn off the car when the light comes on and then start it right back up, the light goes away. The car shifts perfectly if the light is on or off. No change in performance what so ever.

Now the problem:

About 3 days ago, I started the car and waited for 5 minutes to let the engine warm up. No CHECK GEARBOX light. I put the car is R and it moved normally. When I put the car in D, no acceleration what so ever. The car accelerates very slowly. The RPM was at 2000 but I didn't try to accelerate more in fear to cause more damage to the car. The CHECK GEARBOX light comes on once I shift into D. After that the car would drive normally. I drove like this around the neighborhood for about 10 minutes. Still no acceleration from 1st gear. I even tried to put the gear into 1st then 2nd and 3rd, no difference.

For some reason, I decided to stop, turn off the car, and then start it again. When into D, my Saab accelerated as normal!!! No warning lights no nothing. As if the problem never happened in the first place.

I tried to start it yesterday with the exact problem as above. I tried again today before posting the problem here.

Is there an evil spirit roaming around this car or something????? Please Help
Could anyone refer me to a good Saab mechanic in Columbus?

Thanks.

SBushnak

Last edited by sbushnak; 12-05-2006 at 07:53 PM.
sbushnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
paul19691969
AF Newbie

Re: 94 Saab 900S V6 problem

i have the same car and it does the same thing i cant figure mine out also. plz let me know if you find out thanks paul
paul19691969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:25 AM   #3
sbushnak
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul19691969
i have the same car and it does the same thing i cant figure mine out also. plz let me know if you find out thanks paul
Good day

i know it has been a long time but I was checking the forums and saw your reply. Well i might have an update about this problem.

After reading through the internet, it could be the neutral safety switch.

Here is how to replace the part:
http://www.thesaabsite.com/900new/NG...placement.html

Here are some FAQS for the 900 CHECK GEARBOX light:
http://www.thesaabsite.com/900new/NG...+Gearbox+Light

I didnt repair it since the car developed a head gasket leak and so I am selling it.

let me know what happens. Good luck.
sbushnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
ukscotty
AF Newbie

If you don't want to spend the 3oo bucks for a new neutral saftey switch try taking the neutral saftey switch out and taking it apart and cleaning it ggod with some degreaser and putting a thin layer of grease on it before reassembling it. I had the saame problem with my 94 and thought I haad nothing to lose so I tried cleaning it and it has been fine ever since. Light goes out after that.
ukscotty is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 900