Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
blueboost
AF Enthusiast

Tamiya Bright Red

Hey all,

been searching the forum here for almost an hour, can't find what I'm looking for.

I would have to say I am comfortable with pretty much every modeling skill except laying down the paint. No matter how hard I try, I'm never satisfied.

My question is to all of you with experience using Tamiya bright red paint. I would like to use it on my current project but I really dont want to mess up!!!!!How easy is this color to lay down? is it a "problem" color or is it one of those like the light gun metal that just seems to be very easy to work with??
Old 02-04-2004, 10:42 PM   #2
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tamiya Bright Red

I'm using the bright red for my F2003-GA now.
As long you follow the basic rules of using the light colors, you'll be alright.
Treat the bright red as if it's clear red, and don't depend on its opacity. Instead, the finish of the base color will be critical. Make sure you spray grey and then white, each uniformly. There should be no opaque or translucent white spots on the body. It must be uniformly white, before applying red. When applying red, make sure not to run the paint, because paint run will cause irregular thickness. In order to avoid the paint run, spray no longer than 1 second on each side of the body. I applied more than 20 mist coats, and still didn't lose any details, so you can guess how thin each coat was. After red is uniformly applied, add one wet coat at the end. After paint is completely dry, it's ready to clear coat or sand and polish without clear.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 12:17 AM   #3
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Sorry to hijack your thread, blueboost, and sorry I can't help with the red paint. Hirofkd's advice is good for me too!

Question for Hirofkd: What's the word on the fine looking turbo Integra in your sig? I've searched around here and on your home page and I couldn't find any mention of it. I'd love to see more pictures of it and some info on its build, it's looks just fantastic! Your radiator detail amazes me every time you post!

Sorry blueboost. Your thread can go back to normal now.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote