Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Econoline
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:30 AM   #1
airboss20
AF Newbie

2000 Econoline starter problem

My 2000 econoline e150 with 102k miles is having starting issues in the cold. It starts fine when warm, or the engine is warm. When engine cools to freezing and I try to start, I hear a click. Door locks are not sluggish, headlights are bright and the blower sounds fast and I keep the van connected to a battery tender so I believe I have a charged battery. I keep turning the ignition and eventually the starter will engage, and the engine will sputter a bit and then run fine.

I did a forum search and haven't come up with a situation that matches this. Is it the starter or the solenoid? Could it be something else that I have not considered?
airboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Econoline starter problem

I keep the van connected to a battery tender so I believe I have a charged battery.
Without testing your battery, you are assuming it is good.

Check voltage at the battery when cranking. You may have enough to run the accessories but not enough to start. How old is your battery? Cables clean and tight?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:08 AM   #3
airboss20
AF Newbie

The battery is <6 months old. That is the reason I use a tender now. Repeated lack of use killed the last battery.

I think I have found the reason. I believe that there is moistire inside the starter that is freezing and preventing the armature from engaging the flywheel. Repeatedly turning the ignition switch to the start position eventually works it loose and it cranks the engine. When the moisture is above freezing, such as when weather is more accomidating or the engine raises to operating temperature, it operates without fail.

Overall, I believe that replacement of the starter is the appropriate solution.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
mechhound
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss20 View Post
The battery is <6 months old. That is the reason I use a tender now. Repeated lack of use killed the last battery.

I think I have found the reason. I believe that there is moistire inside the starter that is freezing and preventing the armature from engaging the flywheel. Repeatedly turning the ignition switch to the start position eventually works it loose and it cranks the engine.
When it won't crank do you just get a click as if nothing is turning, or do get a whirrrr as if the starter is turning and not engaging the flywheel?
mechhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
airboss20
AF Newbie

Just a single click for every turn of the key. When things work loose, it starts without issue.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 AM   #6
mechhound
AF Regular

That's good. If you would be getting a whirrr, I would be warning you to replace the starter immediately so you wouldn't grind the teeth off the flywheel in one spot and have a bigger repair on your hands.

If I was to guess at your problem, I would say the solenoid on top of the starter or the relay. A little testing with a multi-meter or test light may help you narrow it down. Also check what aleekat said. Good luck.
mechhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Without proper voltmeter testing, you are just guessing.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechhound View Post
When it won't crank do you just get a click as if nothing is turning, or do get a whirrrr as if the starter is turning and not engaging the flywheel?
They sell amp meters you lay on the cable and you can check how many amps the starter is drawing. Use your volt meter and check battery voltage then watch what is happening as you try to crank. A battery can show full voltage and drop when a load is placed on the battery.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Econoline