Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
ellev8or
AF Regular

67 Bonneville: Alternator keeps getting fried.

Greetings,
I've owned my 67 Pontiac Bonneville since 2006. In 2008, for the first time I experienced the alternator frying, but at the time didn't know it was being fried. I kept thinking I was purchasing defected alternators. On that initial incident for three days straight, I fried 8 alternators. Man was that expensive. I got an auto electric expert to assist, because the last guy had wires every in the engine compartment. It was hard for me to understand what the expert had done, but he got me rolling. Now it's 2010, two years later, and last night it happened again on my way home from a ball game. I was driving, made a left turn, tried to accelerate, but nothing. Pulled over and popped the hood. Nothing was smoking. The battery had no swelling and no corrosion at post. There was a tight connection. I have a generic kill switch that I kept playing with but the car wouldn't turn over. I turned on the head lights and nothing. But the horn was working. After radio phoning for a tow the driver arrives and attempted a jump, but still no activity. So I was towed home.

I can remember after completing the turn, for a brief moment there was a burning smell in the air. It smelt like something was on fire. Could that have been my alternator frying? When I popped the hood their wasn't the smell of something had burned.
Also, the expert that I paid, although he got me rolling again, he didn't secure the wiring coming from the firewall, underneath the master cylinder boot, flowing out to the alternator and various other places. I don't have an after market expensive sound system and there's no alarm on it.

How much does electrical rewiring cost of the engine compartment. I'm thinking it would solve the problem.

Can this be solved and if so, who do I need to take it to? I will have the battery and the alternator checked. I always receive great feedback and expert advise whenever I post. I value the input that is given here. What you guys come up with please let me know. I hope these are repairs I can do myself. In the past two years I have taken my classic to a classic shop and discovered that they had stolen parts off my car. But again, your advice is favorable.

Thanks in advance.
SSL
ellev8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: 67 Bonneville: Alternator keeps getting fried.

Often in the older cars, the voltage regulator can cause the alternator to "full field" all the time, and it will eventually burn up the windings or "smoke" the diodes. unlike later cars, the regulator is external (hanging on the firewall).

M&H Electric in SoCal has complete harnesses for these cars. They're very good.

As for a "local tech" that can help you, ask car clubs, modern repair shops, etc., where they get their's "done".

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Scrapper
AF Premium User

is that alt. at top of motor or is it low on down? and it could be the button fried or toggle switch if your using to start it?
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
ellev8or
AF Regular

Mr. Pbody,
Should I first try changing the voltage regulator? If I should need rewiring do you have an estimate of how much that should cost?
Thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
ellev8or
AF Regular

Scrapper,
The alternator is on front top center of engine block, away from start which bottom rear of engine block. Can you please explain, 'it could be the button fried or toggle switch if your using to start it', from your last post.
Thanks for your input.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Each area of the country has different labor charges. I would think 3-4 hours necessary to replace the hearness. With older cars, the "flat rate" manual is "out the window"...

"Toggle switch" ????

Jim
Old 12-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
ellev8or
AF Regular

I've had the battery and alternator checked and they are good. Since there is not a voltage regulator in the alternator, specifically where on the firewall is the voltage regulator? Can anyone help with a pick of this part and location of area of engine? If it turns out that the VR is good, what is my next step? It would help to know that I do have a generic kill switch.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Scrapper
AF Premium User

i thought i red thay you had a push button someone put in there? my bad if i red it wrong.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
ellev8or
AF Regular

I believe I know why the car shut down on me. A group of wires (ground, kill switch, some other colored wires), was entangled, tightly wrapped around the steering column, if I'm calling it the correct name. The kill switch wires were pulled apart and there's this long green wire with male and female ends that came off, and I don't know where it goes. Does anyone knows where this wire connects to and what it's for? Also, would those wires being wrapped so tightly around the steering column cause steering to slip when trying to make a hard turn? It was in the section between the steering box and a big plastic bolt, but closest to the firewall.
I couldn't find the voltage regulator. Does anybody knows where this is? I've checked the firewall, behind the engine block and I don't see anything that resembles a voltage regulator.
Many Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

The voltage regulator is a "tin" box, about 4" long and 3" wide, about 2 1/2" "deep", located directly behind the engine, usually a bit to the driver's side. There is a
"flat" plug with 3 or 4 wires in it plugged into the side.

Nothing electrical involved in the steering. Perhaps the steeting FELT like it was "slipping", and really, the wires put it in a bind, and it would come in and out of that bind.

It's difficult to interpret your statements about the wires. A wiring diagram should be purchased. I believe (not 100% sure) diagrams are available from Ames or Performance Years. I'll look into the availability.

Sorry for the delay in answering, been kinda busy. Noiw, I'm getting ready to close up for a long Christmas weekend.

Merry Christmas!

Jim
Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
ellev8or
AF Regular

MrPbody,
I checked for a metal box (voltage regulator) as what you described and I didn't see that. However, I do see wires coming from the location you described. Do these wires run inside to the cabin of the car? Can you tell me where can I find a photo of the voltage regulator you described because the one I purchased from Autozone does not fit the description that you mentioned in the previous reply. The one from Autozone is flat, black and small with a sort of square shape with a bolt on one end.

There was a green wire with male and female ends, that was disconnected from an unknown place. It was disconnected when it was entangled along with all the other wires, when they all were tightly wrapped around the steering column. Do you know what this wire is for and where to reconnect it? I've been trying to learn of what the color codes of these wires are from the internet.

Many thanks.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

SSL,

E-mail me at

mrpbody@centralvirginiamachine.com

I can forward a pic to you.

Jim