Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Prelude
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 10:16 PM   #1
lil_schmitts
AF Regular

Best Affordable Car Alarm

What the title says.

thanks,
Schmitts
Old 10-02-2003, 09:00 PM   #2
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Well it depends on what you mean "best" and "affordable". I will boast DEI stuff all the way. ALL of the main brains are the same in all the lines (Viper, SIdewinder, Python, Hornet, Automate). Some you will find cheaper than others and the Hornet is the only one (well Valet too) that you can buy and install yourself. They are also the only ones that come with a 1 year warranty. All others have lifetime warranty but need to be installed by a dealer for the warranty.

I have installed many different makes and models of alarms from Codealarm, Clifford, Excaliber, Bull Dog, AudioVox, AutoPage just to name a few. All of the others seem to have their quirks.

Remember, DEI didn't become the #1 rated electronics company in the world by mistake
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 09:08 PM   #3
sofast
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sofast Send a message via MSN to sofast Send a message via Yahoo to sofast
Dei

DEI is the best. Are you trying to protect expensive audio? If so DEI or the AutoPage. Clifford matrix is DEI and affordable. The Avital 3300 by DEI is the same unit but cheaper in price. The autopage is $75.00-$100.00 more but worth it. Look the autopage up. It is a complete alarm. Most others do not come with battery back up, motion sensors,dual shock sensors,temp, remote start, and to much more to list. I am a retired car thief so I know. Take my advice and fork out the money for something good.
sofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 07:31 PM   #4
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast
DEI is the best. Are you trying to protect expensive audio? If so DEI or the AutoPage. Clifford matrix is DEI and affordable. The Avital 3300 by DEI is the same unit but cheaper in price. The autopage is $75.00-$100.00 more but worth it. Look the autopage up. It is a complete alarm. Most others do not come with battery back up, motion sensors,dual shock sensors,temp, remote start, and to much more to list. I am a retired car thief so I know. Take my advice and fork out the money for something good.

What you comparing here? My cost on the most expensive DEI unit is just shy of $200. THe most expensive of AUtopage is about $119. Yes, the Autopage is an OK unit but doesn't hold a lick to DEI stuff. You can get all those options you listed and more like 2-way remotes and you can even get you car to call you when you have someone messing with the car. They are now shipping GPS so if your ride is snatched, you'll know where it went.

DEI hasn't been rated #1 for over 10 years by accident.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:03 AM   #5
sofast
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sofast Send a message via MSN to sofast Send a message via Yahoo to sofast
Re: Re: Dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
What you comparing here? My cost on the most expensive DEI unit is just shy of $200. THe most expensive of AUtopage is about $119. Yes, the Autopage is an OK unit but doesn't hold a lick to DEI stuff. You can get all those options you listed and more like 2-way remotes and you can even get you car to call you when you have someone messing with the car. They are now shipping GPS so if your ride is snatched, you'll know where it went.

DEI hasn't been rated #1 for over 10 years by accident.
Yes DEI Is rated #1 and they are what he says . He is probably getting them at dealler cost at $200.00. I disagree with him on the autopage. They cost more than that.The autopage RS850LCD or the RS750LCD are affordable and equivelent to the DEI Clifford Matrix RS2.1. I am a dealer installer and a retired car/audio thief. I would know . They both have so many features gut one is cheaper in price check them out. You can find DEI at Directed.com or Autopage athttp://www.lightav.com/car/autopage/autopage.html
Old 10-05-2003, 06:08 PM   #6
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast
Yes DEI Is rated #1 and they are what he says . He is probably getting them at dealler cost at $200.00. I disagree with him on the autopage. They cost more than that.The autopage RS850LCD or the RS750LCD are affordable and equivelent to the DEI Clifford Matrix RS2.1. I am a dealer installer and a retired car/audio thief. I would know . They both have so many features gut one is cheaper in price check them out. You can find DEI at Directed.com or Autopage athttp://www.lightav.com/car/autopage/autopage.html
Yes, to the common person, they'd probably never see the differences but being a dealer of both, I like the DEI units. Install wise, DEI has a much better approach to vehicle wiring/customizing. This is especially true when you take into consideration to their expert advice and vehicle adaptors like the 555l, 555g GM interfaces, along with those for Ford, DCX, Honda and so on.

Overall the Autopage is not a bad unit. The weak link is the remotes. They can be hard to figure out to some customers and seem to only last about 2 years. They remind me of the Code Alarm units I gave up on.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:04 PM   #7
weezey2u
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dei

Quote:
Yes, to the common person, they'd probably never see the differences but being a dealer of both, I like the DEI units. Install wise, DEI has a much better approach to vehicle wiring/customizing. This is especially true when you take into consideration to their expert advice and vehicle adaptors like the 555l, 555g GM interfaces, along with those for Ford, DCX, Honda and so on.

Overall the Autopage is not a bad unit. The weak link is the remotes. They can be hard to figure out to some customers and seem to only last about 2 years. They remind me of the Code Alarm units I gave up on.
I have installed auto electronics for around ten years ive used it all and DEI is not my favorite i personally think its overpriced junk, I like the code alarm the best. The new f-series is far better in my opinion then there past series,DEI adapters are not all that, I use databus interfaces for everything i install and they are all the same with diffrent labels i disagree with DEI having a better approach to vehicle wiring I think the wires are cheap and to small and besides with all the harnesses pluged in the dam thing looks like a octopus,DEI is #1 because of all the diffrent brands they sell,Just because they have a high revenue dosnt make them the best,just remember that yugo at one time lead the auto industry and where are they now? just my .02 cents
weezey2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 11:34 PM   #8
PreludePrincess
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to PreludePrincess
Do ya'll know if proximity censors work really well?
PreludePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:25 PM   #9
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dei

Quote:

Well, I do not want to get into a peeing match here. We've obviously got our minds set. I personally do not Code Alarm. Does that mean it is crap? To me it does and also the area Ford dealers I have shown the performance differences between the 2. DEI is not #1 because of all the brands they now carry. I meant about about what the consumers say. They've been #1 rated in Consumer Reports for over 8 years in a row! Take a look at Epinions.com. They say what I say about the units being great at first but do not seem to last over 2 years.
http://www.epinions.com/auto-Securit...splay_~reviews

http://www.epinions.com/auto-Securit...ed_Electronics

Now, I know there is only a few reviews of Codealarm stuff but there are plenty of DEI stuff.

Prelude... Yes there are some that work very well. It all depends in what kind of vehicle you are installing it into. Also, if you have varing weather conditions like -10 in winter and 95+ in summer, the field will tend to grow and shrink. Because of this, I suggest getting an alarm that you can either adjust this via remote or have the ability to turn it on or off with the remotes for best performance.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:42 PM   #10
sofast
AF Enthusiast

Re: Best Affordable Car Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludePrincess
Do ya'll know if proximity censors work really well?

what is your address and ill tell you princess?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 AM   #11
tedthower
AF Newbie

Re: Best Affordable Car Alarm

I am using simple car alarm which is one of the most recognized names in vehicle security and remote start systems, Providing vehicle protection & convenience. You can't be in or around your car all the time. This car alarms system allows you to have peace of mind knowing your car is resting safely.