Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
mocojpo2003
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to mocojpo2003
1996 Jeep Cherokee Won't Start

I have had no problems out of my jeep except my check engine light came on and it was a bad 02 Sensor and I was told I didn't need to replace it. Well I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden my jeep died. The radio cut off my air and I put it in neutral and I tried to start it and it would not crank. I coasted in a drive way and it cranked and them died. Now it acts like it wants to start but it wont. Replaced the fuel filter. I am getting fuel to the fuel rail. It will not start with starter fluid. I took the crank sensor off and it replaced it and it still wouldn't crank. My fuel pump makes a whinning sound. My lights come on..My windshield wipers won't. My radio doesn't work and the inside lights well I couldn't get them to go off before I before my vehicle died on me, about 3 weeks before I just took the bulbs out. Please someone help me. Would the 02 sensor make it not start?? What else can I do I am a female on a budget and I need my jeep.
mocojpo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov
Re: 1996 Jeep Cherokee Won't Start

If its not cranking, you should check the battery terminals. Make sure the connections are tight and free of corrosion. Just be careful working with metal tools around a car battery. For example if you put a ratchet on the positive terminal, dont pull it back so far that it comes anywhere near the negative terminal (speaking from experience).

Then follow both battery cables and make sure they are both in good condition and that they have good connection where they end. From there Id just make sure that you have a good battery. Have you tried jump starting it? If youre a female in a Jeep, it shouldnt be hard to get someone to assist you in doing so Sorry, I just had to say it.

Thats pretty simple stuff, but you didnt mention it, so I figured it doesnt hurt.

It also could be an ignition switch issue, especially with the radio and wipers not working. Im not sure if thats a common problem in Jeeps or not, or how one would even go about testing it.

Oh, and the oxygen sensor should not prevent the car from starting, its an emissions device, and though it does have an effect on fuel mixture, it shouldnt do so until the engine is warmed up, or at least not from what Ive always heard, but thats been with GM vehicles, Im new to the Jeep world myself.

All my reply is based on you saying it doesnt crank, as in you get no starter activity when you turn the key, I hope thats correct.

Last edited by LittleHoov; 07-17-2009 at 07:04 AM.
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
mocojpo2003
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: 1996 Jeep Cherokee Won't Start

Hey thanks for the reply. I have tried to be jumped off and nothing. It will try to crank but it will won't. I have even made sure my battery was good and it is. I know the wipers run off the battery when the jeep is not cranked, and mine don't work at all. It's weird because I have had no problems and then it just died. Could my fuel pump be bad even though it's making a whining sound? Someone said check the alternator. My lights come on..and it tries to crank and turns over but it just won't start. I changed the relays around and I also bought a new crank sensor still nothing. Same thing..crank and no start.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

You havent mentioned any checking for spark. You seem to have an idea of what youre doing, so I assume you have. Thats the only thing that comes to my mind.

I think your Jeep still has spark plug wires, makes it sooo much easier to check for spark. I know some of the later ones moved to coil on plug, so theres not a good way to test that kind of thing.

I have heard people comment about a bad alternator causing a vehicle not too start, ive never bought into that theory though. Plus if your battery is good, and youre trying to jump start it, it should be getting more than enough juice between the two.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
ronaldk
AF Regular

in your last post dated today at 3:03pm you say( and it tries to crank and turns over but it just won't start)! the term cranking and turning over refer to the same thing, so does the eng turn over when you turn ign switch or does nothing happen. if it turns over then you need to check for fuel at rail and or spark if you have fuel. checking alt batt etc is barking up wrong tree if it is turning over. please give better info also i should ask is your check eng light on?
ronaldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

I believe the check engine light will be on by default if the ignition is in the ON position with the vehicle not running, thats how most vehicles seem to be set up. You could try and pull codes just to be safe though.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:27 AM   #7
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:09 AM   #8
mocojpo2003
AF Newbie

Sorry for not giving enough information. The engine does turn over. It just wont stay cranked. I am getting a spark. I did check the fuel rail and fuel does come out of it. So I am getting a spark and I am getting fuel but my jeep will not stay cranked. I hope this makes sense. Thank you all for helping me out here.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
mocojpo2003
AF Newbie

I also forgot..even when i turn on the key or turn over the key i do not see a check engine light. just GEN thats it
Old 07-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #10
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Well, if youre getting good fuel pressure, and spark, its doubtful youre not getting air, so Id have to guess a timing issue. How you would even check for that I have no clue, I dont know of any way to check timing without the engine running.

Or the timing could be computer controlled for all I know, Im not a Jeep expert by any means. I know mine isnt computer controlled, but thats apples and oranges haha.

Id want to verify correct fuel pressure with a gauge myself.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
CODMYSTER
AF Newbie

I have the same year and model all the things i seen POINTS to the Ign Swith if the coil get spark i would just replace the ign switch.I feel pretty good about it solving your problem also major important check all Fuses, Fuse LINKS these are wire with a small amount of load i nthem to blow to prevent fire or opther problems. check your relays and circuit breakers.Nut as i strated sounds almost 99.9 its the IGN Switch good luck let me know please how you r doing with this replay i hope it works for you
Good Luck & Godbless

COD
CODMYSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #12
dtsn280z
AF Newbie

I had a similar deal with a '95 sport with the 4.0. Sounds like the crank position sensor. Very simple attempt and cheap as well. I think mine was $15 or so. It's located on the bell housing on the bottom. I didnt even use ramps. two screws and a plug and that's it.

I hope this helps...
dtsn280z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
adiz_99
AF Newbie

i have no start after checking fual rail (good) starter turns over. now trouble shooting ignition there is no power to the coil ??? help
adiz_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

adiz, check this thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=687635

if those don't solve your issue, please start a new thread with your problem, year, mileage and transmission.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
DIVERHERB
AF Newbie

You say that you have spark, is that checking it at the plug? If so then fuel would be next. Just because you see fuel at the rail does not mean that the pump is providing the proper fuel pressure. I would next check to see if you have the proper fuel pressure, should be about 35 to 45psi if I remember right and sufficent volumn. The timing is set by the pcm on this year. Generally if you have spark and fuel pressure you have ruled the pcm out. If you have pressure and spark then it should not be the ignition switch, crank sensor or cam sensor (distributor). Does it sound like it is cranking over evenly?
DIVERHERB is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
fuel , help!!!!!!!!!! , pump , start , won't
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee