Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:08 AM   #1
Marke21287
AF Newbie

2003 Grand Voyager HVAC and Roof Display Dead

Help please Guys...

I have a 2003 Grand Voyager that suddenly had a problem where the speedo needle dropped to the bottom and stopped working. After scratching the web I found that I could hold in the trip reset button and the cluster does a recalibrate and thereafter the speedo started working again.

HOWEVER, after the cluster recalibrate, the HVAC controls are dead and the Roof display panel is also dead. Also the brake warning light and the ABS lights stay on.

I have checked the battery, all fuses without any luck at all.

I would assume that this problem is related to the recalibrate and not some other electrical / controller issue.

I urgently need help to try and diagnose this problem.
Thank you.
Marke21287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: 2003 Grand Voyager HVAC and Roof Display Dead

All related to the PCI data bus. Sounds like the bus controller (the BCM) went sensitive. Try resetting it by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight.

Double check fuse #14. It's either a 20 or 15 amp fuse (diagrams show it depicted either way). It powers most of what's failing and more like the remote entry, radio, etc.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:03 AM   #3
Marke21287
AF Newbie

Thanks RIP. I will have a look at the weekend and give feedback.
2013 F10 M5

Old 04-29-2014, 03:08 AM   #4
Marke21287
AF Newbie

Angry Re: 2003 Grand Voyager HVAC and Roof Display Dead

Hi RIP,

Okay, so I did the following:
1. Removed battery, cleaned all terminals (they were fine),
2. checked earth cables under battery box - all fine
3. Replugged all connectors on fuse box
4. Checked all fuses and relays in fuse box
5. Removed centre console and checked all connectors on HVAC automatic controls panel
6. Checked earth cable in dash
7. Checked power to BCM controller (I assume the one behind the ashtray bolted to the body is the BCM?) Power was fine.
8. Used OBDII scanner - no error codes on ECU
9. Replugged all connectors on ECU
10. Did visual inspection of all cabling harnesses - no problems seen

And the problem persists.
So one other thing, after starting the vehicle, all dash lights go off as normal and then about five seconds later you get the warning 'bing' and then the handbrake light, ABS light and "Track OFF" all come on....

I am at a loss here and do not want to start replacing parts because they may be the problem.... and all this started after a dash reset.

The dash reset was because the speedo needle was at 6 o'clock and not working during a 400KM trip. during this trip the aircon, roof display etc was all working and there was no issues with warning lights. After the dash reset to fix the speedo all the other nonsense started so I am sure it is a "reset required" type problem.

Further guidance would be appreciated. Especially a wiring diagram with the PCI data bus...

Thanks in advance
2013 F10 M5

Old 04-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
RIP
AF -Advisor

This effects older model 3rd generation vans but may be worth a look. Take a look at the HVAC control panel connector. It has been known to overheat and distort sometimes making the contacts open up and kill the cluster. It's that data bus thing again. Send me an email address via a private message and I'll send you diagrams.

The BCM is bolted to the firewall left of the brake pedal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5K0je-uhow (No accounting for style) Not that you need to remove it, just a good account of where it is. One big thing he skips is to disconnect the negative battery cable as step #1. This deactivates the airbags and protects the BCM. Anytime you disconnect/reconnect any electronic module that's step #1.

The Following User Says Thank You to RIP For This Useful Post:
Marke21287 (04-30-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Marke21287
AF Newbie

Hey Rip,

I have ripped all my hair out... perhaps that what your name is related to!!! LOL.

So I have been through almost every connector and fuse in the entire vehicle.
My father, an auto electrician came down for the weekend with his Texa analyser... unfortunately the Chrysler is not well supported by this product but we were unable to make decent progress. The unit had trouble connecting and communicating and when it did there were no error codes in the ECU and it failed to connect to the BCM. I did try to do a reset of the key fob control unit which once and only once generated a PCM Status Error. We reset this but it did indicate a PCM error.

We checked all the wiring harnesses under the car, in the power doors, to the BCM unit. Pulled the fuse box completely, took it apart to check for any problems but found no problems.

Every connector we checked, and we checked many, were very clean, with zero oxidation, dryness or discoloration.

We removed the instrument cluster - remember my troubles started after a dash reset, found everything perfect there...

So, apart from replacing control units the car has had a thorough once / twice / three times over to no avail...

A new problem did arise which is confusing, the vehicle now has a rev limit at 4200 rpm.... validated this with and OBD2 tester - how the hell the rev limiter got adjusted who knows.... apart from the Texa unit losing comms and hanging from time to time so can only assume that it corrupted the ECU????

i thought I was at a loss before... but now I am way past that!!!!

Any other thoughts?
Mark
2013 F10 M5

Old 05-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
RIP
AF -Advisor

"RIP" your hair out? No. It's a nickname I got from misreading my initials - RJP. Back in the day my "J" looked like an "I" so RIP it was.

You're getting close to decision time - throw money at it or keep looking. If you want to stick with it I can send you wiring diagrams. Send me a private message and include an email address to send them to. Next to that you can start looking for a BCM. Rockauto has them for around $150. Many parts stores have them or can order one. Just make sure it's programed to your security system configuration.

All of your failed systems are on the PCI data bus including ABS. The BCM is the bus controller. BCM codes fall under chassis or communications codes. Was the scanner used capable of reading them? Course it sounds like the bus was down so it wouldn't read them anyway. If you want to go at the data bus wiring it consists of a single violet with white tracer wire running from module to module. Some time ago there was a detailed thread on another forum describing how someone found an obscure problem on the data bus. I'll see what I can find.

I wasn't aware these vans had a rev limiter of any sort.

Last edited by RIP; 05-07-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 AM   #8
Marke21287
AF Newbie

Hey RIP,

Thank you again for the guidance.

Okay, so I took the day out yesterday and traced the white and violet wire everywhere..... From the BCM to radio, cd player, HVAC controls, instrument cluster, Air bag controller, roof panel, into the fuse box, out the fuse box.... and more - only have ECU, ABS and immobilizer (because I don't know where it is..) to check....

They key is that there is no problem with the circuit and there is certainly no grounding to earth on the wire, so I guess its down to a new BCM.....

Interesting that it must be programmed - what data does it need?

On the ECU / Rev limiter, are you aware of any ECU programmers that will work with the Voyager ECU?

Regards
2013 F10 M5

Old 05-09-2014, 03:59 AM   #9
Marke21287
AF Newbie

Hi RIP,

Any update for me please?
2013 F10 M5

Old 05-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
RIP
AF -Advisor

Programming? Mandatory - The BCM has to have the same security system programmed into it that your van has meaning either the OEM system or no system. If there's a programming mismatch your van won't start and you may then have to have both the BCM and PCM reprogrammed or replaced. It also has to be programmed to operate the accessories on your van that it's equipped with. Usually the supplier will do all this based on your VIN # and the BCM part number. Optional - The BCM calculates the mileage displayed on the odometer. Any dealership can update that for you.

By ECU I'm assuming you're talking about the PCM. ECU is a generic term. PCM is a Chrysler term for the same unit. The only "programmer" outside of a factory programmer used to program PCMs is the DRBIII scanner used by dealerships and well equipped shops. I understand there's a Snap-On scanner that will do the same. Unfortunately both cost several thousand dollars. I'm not aware of a rev limiter on these vans. Cloud be a function on Euro vans only.

The immobilizer is software programmed into either the PCM or BCM, I don't recall which.

Did you ever retry the cluster self test? Bit late in the process for this and I apologise but, I'm not sure which actually generates the test, the cluster or the BCM. The narrative for the test states if the cluster malfunctions, replace the cluster. Not sure how cut and dried that is but there it is.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
Marke21287
AF Newbie

Hi RIP,

Thanks for the feedback.

So, I have tried numerous cluster resets as suggested... No change..
I have now done a fairly thorough check of wiring of the vehicle based on the wiring diags I do have.

My findings as of today are that there is a white/pink wire that runs from the BCM to the HVAC and Roof panels. This wire is at 0V and spikes to 13.8V when you turn the ignition on then drops back to 0V.

On looking at the diagrams, this is IGN RUN and should have 13.8V the entire time the ign is on as it come from the IGN switch to the BCM and out again. So the suspicion is that the IGN switch may be faulty as it appears that this line only powers the HVAC, Roof console and security system (which has not given a problem but perhaps this feed to security system is not relevant?)

Will keep you posted.
2013 F10 M5

Old 05-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
Marke21287
AF Newbie

Aaarrgggg... mix up between pink/white - IGN on line and white/pink to Roof console - named IGN SW OUTPUT (RUN) - this line is at 0V irrespective of whether IGN is on or off.... do you have thoughts on this line?
2013 F10 M5

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager