Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #16
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Re: things to know about grand cherokees

Old 05-19-2006, 07:29 AM   #17
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Some decent diagnostics can be found here:

http://members.cox.net/wilsond/Fixes/diagnostics.html

And info here:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

Thanks to Dale

Last edited by fredjacksonsan; 05-19-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #18
J Rainey
AF Enthusiast

Had a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo and currently have a 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland. Both had tranny problems at 39K miles. Complained to Jeep on the second one and they fixed immediatly no cost. Funny how both went out just after the warranty. Very irritating since the first one cost $2100 to fix then decided to trade it off.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:44 PM   #19
garyghost
AF Newbie

The slow to start (excessive crank time) problem is more often due to the rubber o ring (quad ring) around the fuel pump that seats between it and the tank. That chaffes and wears and loses seal causing the drop in fuel pressure. Less knowledgable mechanics will change the pump instead of the 8 dollar rubber ring.

The cooling fan relay is a piece of junk and will screw up over time causing overheating ($72.00 part).

The cables on that the motor uses to raise and lower windows (regulator cable) break after 4 plus years but the entire regulator has to be changed ($220.00 dealer only part).

The calipers are bad and warp the rotors. Lots were changed under warranty luck for some JGC owners. For others, get ready!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #20
cork379
AF Newbie

Just developed problem with brakes on 00 Gr Cher Ltd. While driving local roads, front brake linings heat up and smoke comes out of wheel well. Terrible odor. I was ready to replace the calipers, thinking they were freezing up, and my mechanic told me the brake hoses are disentegrating on the inside. Apparently the rubber blocks the fluid from returning and keeps pressure on the caliper. To test losen the the hose on the caliper and see if brake fluid shoots out. If it does, this is your problem and the hoses should be replaced.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:36 AM   #21
jt-369
AF Newbie

My 99 Limited keeps shutting down while driving, it has the same things happen as alot of others- radio/ windows work and cranks but wont turn over. It has to sit for a few minutes and then it is OK. The more I try to start it, the longer it takes. No codes given and my mechanic just replaced the CPS and it didn't help. Actually, it's getting towed from where my wife had to leave it today! Should I have him just go and replace the ECM or should he check something else first? Thanks for any help
Old 07-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #22
1964falcon
AF Newbie

I would like to know which is the low pressure hose. Does the low pressure hose have the accuumulator assembly attached?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:26 AM   #23
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

This isn't the thread to post problems in -- This thread is for information to pass along to others.

If you are having an issue with your Grand Cherokee, start a new thread.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:07 AM   #24
beat88ls
AF Regular

Re: more sutff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie2
The item above describing how to reprogam you remote key entry device does not work. The only place to get the RKE programmed for your car is at a dealership.

srry, im wrong

Last edited by beat88ls; 08-01-2006 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:50 AM   #25
NH Yankee
AF Newbie

Re: The thrill of stalling on the highway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonP
I see plenty of great advice for diagnosing a stalling vehicle. But, I don't really know where to start checking. So, I'll lay out my stalling problems...
1. Over the past 8 months my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee has lost RPM's in the middle of car trips. It would zero out for a second and then kick back in. The car would jerk, but would carry on.
2. I recently changed the computer and it solved a lot of starting/alarm problems that were hounding me. But, whether related or not, my stalling problems have grown.
3. Now, in the middle of driving, I have had the vehicle's RPM's zero out and it either a) coasts a bit before kicking in again on its own; or b) It stalls altogether, I lose power, etc., and have to pull over in order to let it rest and start up again.

The strange randomness of the stalls have caused me to once again probe all of your mechanical minds. (PS, thanks to all who contributed to my computer problems. You are all so insightful - where did you all learn so much about Jeeps?!?)

Thanks again,
PrestonP
I had some stalling trouble( idle dropping to low) about a year ago and solved the problem very easily . I Replaced the PCV valve which probably was original. a quick $2 fix. Sometimes ya just gotta go back to the basics. I etired from 30+ years in car business. Regards ,AL
Old 10-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #26
Bubbster
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: things to know about grand cherokees

I came across this site while researching what appers to be a common problem - engine cranks either for a looooooonnnnnnnnggg time before starting or won't start at all. Even though my "Check Engine" warning was not lit, I had the common codes of this problem. No. 11, CKP fault. and No. 54, no Dist. sync or no cam sensor. I was also flooding the engine.

This problem arose after having the exhaust manifold replaced (another common and expensive propostion). In my case I found the problem to be a bad vacuum line to the MAP sensor. Evidently the line was faulty to begin with, but not enough to cause a fault. Removing it from the intake, rather then from the sesnsor, aggravated the problem. Finally after 3 days of beating my head against the fender, the fault reared it's ugly head and and lit the light. Since the damage was about 1/2" from the connector at the manifold there was enough tubing to make a repair rather than replacement (it will be done in the near future though). I used small diameter heat shrink tubing on the vacuum line itself then further sealed it with a larger piece over both the manifold fitting and the new tubing. I've replaced problem lines before using windshield washer pump hose if it can be found in the proper diameter.

For those whose problem lingers in spite of replacing just about every sensor on the engine, it might pay off to check the lines either by spraying them with carb cleaner ar passing an unlit propane torch over them and listen for an increase in idle speed.

Happy Hunting
Old 10-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #27
LC1974
AF Newbie

Check out this link. This may provide good information as far as recall problems:

http://home.sc.rr.com/janet/
Old 11-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #28
lazzer2146
AF Newbie

Angry Re: things to know about grand cherokees

Be careful when Jeep tells you they have to change the computer to eliminate spark knock. They changed mine and 15,000 miles I have melted pistons in a 4.0. (5,000 miles out of warranty.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #29
Alexpv
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-369
My 99 Limited keeps shutting down while driving, it has the same things happen as alot of others- radio/ windows work and cranks but wont turn over. It has to sit for a few minutes and then it is OK. The more I try to start it, the longer it takes. No codes given and my mechanic just replaced the CPS and it didn't help. Actually, it's getting towed from where my wife had to leave it today! Should I have him just go and replace the ECM or should he check something else first? Thanks for any help
Did you get an answer to your problem?
If so, what was it?
Old 03-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #30
vitzatplay
AF Newbie

I Have A 94 Jeep Cherokee Lim. The Auto Trans. Will Not Shift Automaticly, But Will Shift By Hand And Does Very Well. Does Someone Else Have This Problem And How Do You Fix It?

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8