Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 10:50 AM   #1
Hoosier
AF Newbie

ESS Supercharging system

I have been looking for the best performance boost for the dollar and am considering an ESS Supercharging system. I have a couple questions

1. What damage, if any could this do to my engine. Will it shorten the engine life?

2. Are there any other modifications which would be considered essential when adding the supercharger, such as beeffed up clutch or transmission modifications. Is the additional torque and HP likely to burn up the standard 330 transmission and clutch.

3. I am not a mechanic and could never do this addition myself. Where should I look to have this type of work done professionally, do I even consider the BMW dealer. What could I expect to pay for the install.

Any other comments or advice on this. It is a large investment and I would hate to tear up my car doing it.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 02:17 PM   #2
Dirk Diggler
AF Newbie

There's always a chance you 'could' blow the engine, it will wear sooner. Depends on how much power you're after.
You'll need a tighter clutch. BMW trannys can handle 450 hp so the stock one is ok, but you may want to get a locking differential. I've never dealt with a mechanic so I'm not sure of the price for sc installation.
Maybe AC Schnitzer might be interested.
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 05:10 AM   #3
BiMMa b0i M3
AF Regular

if you want a good s/c either go with AA, DINAN, or Vortech. The DINAN is warrantied under DINAN and BMW (even though it is aftermarket), and the AA s/c is close to 6k but it gives you 8 psi boost, comes with all of the things that comes with it, plus bigger HFM, and oil/engine intercoolers, not many aftermarket companies come with that capability, and yes it is very easy to blow the head gasket, you have to be careful not too rev it too high, and you have to make sure that your engine is tuned well enough to handle that much hp gain, it gives 89 rwhp. its a lot. check out AA's site. www.aatuning.com or DINAN's www.dinanbmw.com
BiMMa b0i M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 01:25 AM   #4
Audi Ryder
AF Enthusiast

Making Turbo Easy Ditch the supercharger, turbo is the way of the world
Audi Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series