Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 02:26 AM   #1
beepbeepph
AF Newbie

Solutions to remove stains on car windows

My car side windows had a bad stain. I tried almost all kinds of products to remove it such as paint thinner, glass cleaner, turpentine, and a lot more, but none of them worked. Any suggestion on how to remove it? I was thinking to get my car window changed if I couldn't bear it anymore, which is my last resort. Hope you guys can help me.
beepbeepph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Solutions to remove stains on car windows

What kind of stain? Inside/outside? Window tint?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:36 PM   #3
beepbeepph
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekat View Post
What kind of stain? Inside/outside? Window tint?
Water stain on the exterior of my car windows.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

There are various mineral deposit removers for automotive surfaces that you might try. You could also try an automotive glass polish with a mechanical buffer. If it really is not coming off, then before replacing the glass consider a glass restoration product that contains cerium oxide and a buffing wheel.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
BlackCountryDetail
AF Newbie

Try water spot remover, its slightly acidic to lift the mineral deposit

Rich
Black Country Detailing
Car Detailing West Midlands
BlackCountryDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
beepbeepph
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
There are various mineral deposit removers for automotive surfaces that you might try. You could also try an automotive glass polish with a mechanical buffer. If it really is not coming off, then before replacing the glass consider a glass restoration product that contains cerium oxide and a buffing wheel.

-Rod
Great advise! I've been thinking of ways to do before I decide to change my car window to lessen my car repair expense. Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate it a lot
Old 06-21-2019, 05:25 AM   #7
sierra3dr
AF Newbie

pumice powder with a buffer is known to polish glass
sierra3dr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sierra3dr For This Useful Post:
shorod (06-22-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 05:23 AM   #8
samjones1
AF Newbie

Stains on car windows are often caused by minerals like calcium and magnesium in water, as well as chemicals that leave limescale and other mineral deposits. Those stains are basically a mixture of soap, water, acid rain, and other mineral deposits like sodium that are left over.

And because these hard stains are composed of leftover minerals that didn’t come off with the water, you can probably think that they’re hard to clean off!

But you don’t need to worry, I have a few tried and true tips to help rid you of those strains!

Vinegar

Vinegar can eat those strains right up because it’s so acidic. Fill a spray bottle with white distilled vinegar. You may need a higher concentration of vinegar, so adjust your water-to-vinegar ratio based on how severe the strains are on your window.

Lemon Juice

Lemon Juice can also eat those strains right up because it’s also strongly acidic in nature. If you do try this method, it’s better to use fresh lemon juice rather than bottled. You can apply it to your windshield with a towel. Or you can just rub the lemon itself on the glass.

Toothpaste

A solution of water and toothpaste can also be used for this purpose. Definitely don’t skimp on the water! It will make the mixture easier to spread and helps you save your toothpaste! Apply the paste to your window, allow it to sit, and then clean off with water. After this method, you should also clean your window glass with a traditional glass cleaner and dry it thoroughly.

Lemon or Orange Essential Oils

Lemon or orange essential oils may be easier to find and can help remove strains on your window. They can also prevent future hard water deposit buildups on your windshield and windows. Mix a few drops of the essential oils with water, then apply the solution to your windshield using a soft towel. Allow it to soak and then remove it with a traditional glass cleaner.
samjones1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #9
beepbeepph
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjones1 View Post
Stains on car windows are often caused by minerals like calcium and magnesium in water, as well as chemicals that leave limescale and other mineral deposits. Those stains are basically a mixture of soap, water, acid rain, and other mineral deposits like sodium that are left over.

And because these hard stains are composed of leftover minerals that didn’t come off with the water, you can probably think that they’re hard to clean off!

But you don’t need to worry, I have a few tried and true tips to help rid you of those strains!

Vinegar

Vinegar can eat those strains right up because it’s so acidic. Fill a spray bottle with white distilled vinegar. You may need a higher concentration of vinegar, so adjust your water-to-vinegar ratio based on how severe the strains are on your window.

Lemon Juice

Lemon Juice can also eat those strains right up because it’s also strongly acidic in nature. If you do try this method, it’s better to use fresh lemon juice rather than bottled. You can apply it to your windshield with a towel. Or you can just rub the lemon itself on the glass.

Toothpaste

A solution of water and toothpaste can also be used for this purpose. Definitely don’t skimp on the water! It will make the mixture easier to spread and helps you save your toothpaste! Apply the paste to your window, allow it to sit, and then clean off with water. After this method, you should also clean your window glass with a traditional glass cleaner and dry it thoroughly.

Lemon or Orange Essential Oils

Lemon or orange essential oils may be easier to find and can help remove strains on your window. They can also prevent future hard water deposit buildups on your windshield and windows. Mix a few drops of the essential oils with water, then apply the solution to your windshield using a soft towel. Allow it to soak and then remove it with a traditional glass cleaner.
I would have to agree that a lot of car owners think that stains are hard to clean off as I'm one of them. After I experience this first hand, I tried some tips yet it didn't remove the stains. Which is why I decided to just bring it to my mechanic. But thanks for sharing these tips to remove the stains. I will definitely try this in the future.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeepph View Post
I would have to agree that a lot of car owners think that stains are hard to clean off as I'm one of them. After I experience this first hand, I tried some tips yet it didn't remove the stains. Which is why I decided to just bring it to my mechanic. But thanks for sharing these tips to remove the stains. I will definitely try this in the future.
So what did your mechanic do?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General