Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
ajwhit88
AF Newbie

Voltage Stabilizer

ok, I was wondering if it would help me by installing a voltage stabilizer on my truck?? Reason being i have a msd box on it and was thinking if i can get the voltage more stable that it would help the msd box fire better therefore more power... any options?
ajwhit88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Voltage Stabilizer

Are you having issues/concerns with the ignition system currently? If so, a voltage stabilizer is not going to fix them. You would be better served to carefully inspect the installation, replace any splices with solder and adhesive-lined shrink sleeving, clean and protect the ground signal, and carefully route the coil and plug wires.

If you are not trying to solve an issue but just trying to squeeze everything you can from the ignition system, again if you do not have other issues with the electrical system, a voltage stabilizer will not fix anything. A healthy battery does a good job of filtering alternator and switching noise. If designed and working properly, the MSD box will also have internal capacitance to filter high frequency noise that could impact its operation. The voltage stabilizers do not have enough capacitance in them to smooth large surges better than the battery can do, and the smaller, higher frequency capacitors will already be incorporated in to the electronics in the car or being installed in the car.

There is another thread on this forum related to voltage stabilizers with several other folk's opinions. I'd suggest you search for that thread and use that to help you draw a conclusion. If you are unable to find it, post back and we'll see if we can get you the link.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
ajwhit88 (12-02-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
ajwhit88
AF Newbie

Re: Voltage Stabilizer

Yeah, I'm not trying to fix any issues.. Its working great I was just trying to squeeze everything I could out of it.. So no voltage stabilizer. Thanks for the info! I have other things planned for it.
ajwhit88 is offline   Reply With Quote