Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

rear disk brake noise

So there is a noise that comes from the passenger rear side on my 85 nissan 300zx. It does not sound like metal. Metal makes a grinding like noise. This sounds almost like if you have your bike upside down and pedal it and push a stick against it or something else. Its more of a rubbing noise. I have felt around but there is nothing making contact with the tire itself. The brake pads have 80% life left. It is disk brakes in the back. I only hear it at random times. It seems to be after driving for a few minutes and it comes and goes. It is a little louder when I turn and when I push the brake it will actually stop. Any thoughts?
HeWhoKillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: rear disk brake noise

Are you positive it is coming from the passenger rear? Have you taken the wheel off with the car safely supported and inspected the braking system, making sure the dust shield is not near the rotor? Is the parking brake built in to the rear caliper or a separate drum system within the rotor? Is there a ridge of rust on the rotor friction surface (inside or outside) that is polished from the brake pads rubbing on it?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Are you positive it is coming from the passenger rear? Have you taken the wheel off with the car safely supported and inspected the braking system, making sure the dust shield is not near the rotor? Is the parking brake built in to the rear caliper or a separate drum system within the rotor? Is there a ridge of rust on the rotor friction surface (inside or outside) that is polished from the brake pads rubbing on it?

-Rod
I didn't take the brakes off. I think I may need to see the back side of the rotor cause the front doesn't have any grooves. The emergency brake I would have to say is seperate. I mean it is connected just underneath the entire system and just behind the rotor itself. I don't think its rubbing anything. Ill get the brakes off on that side and look at the rotor from the back since there isn't enough room to view it without doing so. I THINK it is the rear passenger side.
HeWhoKillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

The Z31's parking brake is built into the caliper.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Check that the calipers are sliding freely on the mounting bolts. If they stick, then one of the pads remains in contact with the disc and wears it out sooner than the opposing pad.

The other possibility is that the caliper is leaking and contaminating the pad.

Good luck!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
AutoTech313
AF Newbie

Most likely, it could be the build up of rust and also the person who put them in. if you don't put them in correctly it will make a lot of noise in the future..not good, but in the future i think you should buy (Wagner's Thermal Quiets rotors/brakes or ceramics) very good investment!
AutoTech313 is offline   Reply With Quote