Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:39 AM   #31
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxm10 View Post
SUCCESS FINALLY!!!! I replaced the crank position sensor today that i bought from autozone, when i pulled it back out i found that the actual magnetic sensor on top wasn't out as far as the one i purchased from the dealer and from what i've learned on this board that will cause all kinds of problems for the van. So now it runs like a new van again! Thank you to everyone for the great advice and tips! Without it i would have probably would have dumped the van into a river lol.

Great, glad yu got it fixed and thanks for posting fix.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #32
Alphabravo
AF Regular

Quote:
SUCCESS FINALLY!!!! I replaced the crank position sensor today that i bought from autozone, when i pulled it back out i found that the actual magnetic sensor on top wasn't out as far as the one i purchased from the dealer and from what i've learned on this board that will cause all kinds of problems for the van. So now it runs like a new van again! Thank you to everyone for the great advice and tips! Without it i would have probably would have dumped the van into a river lol.
Glad you found the problem. Like I said in my first post, I've had so many bad parts from A*Zone I don't buy there anymore. Thanks for posting the solution.
Alphabravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #33
Tamaraava
AF Newbie

I'm having the same problem with a 1996 Caravan.. How did you finally fix the problem? We have it at the dealership now and they don't know. They want to do the cam sensor but we already did so they say they can try the flex plate for $800 plus! And they aren't sure that's even it.. HELP PLEASE!!
Tamaraava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #34
nxm10
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaraava View Post
I'm having the same problem with a 1996 Caravan.. How did you finally fix the problem? We have it at the dealership now and they don't know. They want to do the cam sensor but we already did so they say they can try the flex plate for $800 plus! And they aren't sure that's even it.. HELP PLEASE!!
I replaced the crank position sensor and that solved the problem.

Hope this helps
nxm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #35
coalminer
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to coalminer

Quote:
Thanks for the reply RIP,

I'll pull the sensor and inspect it, And If it's not damaged im just gonna get the spacer for it. Because i was told at autozone they don't come with one but they do sell them seperately for $4 and wasn't told that when i bought it. Because theres no way to adjust the type of crank position sensor that's in my van here is a picture of the one for my van http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=361873_0_0_
So im gonna put the spacer on the sensor and post the results sometime this week.

Thanks again,

I had an issue like this with an Intrepid with a 3.3 once, no matter what I did, it would stall just like you are experiencing. I put a thin washer between the sensor and the block so to keep the sensor a little bit further away from the flywheel and that did the trick.

Wow, I didnt see the last page of posts that you replaced the sensor again and it fixed it.....
coalminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #36
BobKatopolis
AF Newbie

As RIP said earlier, if your Dodge Caravan or Chrysler Town and Country minivan is suddenly stalling, or having random trouble starting, check the instrument cluster. There are a couple of good videos on YouTube showing you the procedure, which involves removing trim pieces to extract the instrument cluster, then taking off a piece of cardboard to get to the printed circuit board. It's not hard.. takes less than an hour. You'll most likely find a cracked solder joint on one of the pins of the main connector plug that is soldered to the PC board, and that's where your electrical gremlin is. Resolder, adding some solder to the pin to improve the mechanical resistance to vibration.
BobKatopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #37
wamaroe
AF Newbie

My van is actually a 1996 T&C. I did have a problem with radial cracks at the instrument cluster ribbon cable connector many years ago. It would kill the gauges while driving and eventually left me stranded in the mountains of New Mexico's Gila forest before I figured that one out. Thank God for the internet.
My current problem stemmed from oil soaked vacuum lines lower left behind the engine. They had expanded at a plastic coupler allowing leakage. No codes. Engine speed would reduce (in drive) at stop lights enough to cause it to stumble, causing the tranny to rattle and engine to die. (170k miles).
wamaroe is offline   Reply With Quote