Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Tesla Motors > Roadster
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Finally a 100% electric car that leaves you speechless

I had an opportunity to check out Tesla Motors in the Silicon Valley a few weeks ago and was also afforded a ride in their Roadster.

I was really stunned by the technology in the car and the company overall.

Some things you may not know about the Roadster that I found fascinating:

1. Body is all dry-carbon.
2. Chassis is an all-aluminum frame glued everywhere(probably a better term out there), supposedly providing the rigidity equivalent of seam-welding.
3. The regenerative brake system is 4 times more efficient than that of the Toyota Prius'.
4. Total number of moving parts in the drivetrain is 11.
5. The car's sound is very good - I did not know what to expect from an electric motor - but it had a healthy high-pitched sound.
6. The car is extremely fast - the ride in the Roadster was exhilarating.
7. It has way less components in common with the Lotus Elise than people think.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
psych0hans
AF Regular

Re: Finally a 100% electric car that leaves you speechless

Yeah, that car really is something... I wish there was a way they could increase the top speed of that car... And also the range while they're at it... But I guess that will come when better batteries come out too.
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." George W. Bush—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
psych0hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans
Yeah, that car really is something... I wish there was a way they could increase the top speed of that car... And also the range while they're at it... But I guess that will come when better batteries come out too.
0-60 in 4 seconds and a top speed of 130 mph isn't fast enough for you?
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:36 AM   #4
Torch
AF Regular

"Modern Marvels" on the History Channel (Comcast Channel 37 here in Portland) had a show on tonight called "Batteries" that featured one of Tesla Motors 100% electric cars.

Would love to own one but at their quote of $100,000+ doubt I will have one anytime soon, I have to say its a very cool car for being 100% electric, usually all I see around Portland is old converted Datsun cars which is mostly due to the fact that they started out light weight in the first place.

Which brings up another funny story, a couple of years ago there was a story about a guy who converted his car to 100% electric, he went to one of our local emissions testing stations to get his license plate tags but they automatically failed him because the car did not have a tail pipe, despite his arguing with them they refused to pass his car.

He came back later with a reporter from the Portland Oregonian newspaper who was going to run a front page story about the DEQ failing the cleanest running car in Portland if they didn't pass his car and give him the tags, long-story-short they passed his car.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
timetrial
AF Newbie

I also went to the factory as part of a tour arranged by San Francisco’s Club Sportiva, (I'm a member). I was impressed with their technology, as well as how they adopted (and improved) what they took from the Elise – Club Sportiva has an Elise that I’ve taken out a couple of times, and being just over 6’ tall, I find the driving compartment tight and fatiguing after a few hours – I like how the Tesla ha an enlarged cockpit. Batteries will improve, and it’s also interesting to note that Tesla admits that performance will fall off as the battery ages (BTW, the battery is actually 6000+ laptop batteries in series, with a special cooling system). Anyway, I hope Tesla is successful, I understand they're next car is a sports sedan ala 528/540 BMW, the performace difference being the battery pack size (wattage).
timetrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
psych0hans
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetrial
I also went to the factory as part of a tour arranged by San Francisco’s Club Sportiva, (I'm a member). I was impressed with their technology, as well as how they adopted (and improved) what they took from the Elise – Club Sportiva has an Elise that I’ve taken out a couple of times, and being just over 6’ tall, I find the driving compartment tight and fatiguing after a few hours – I like how the Tesla ha an enlarged cockpit. Batteries will improve, and it’s also interesting to note that Tesla admits that performance will fall off as the battery ages (BTW, the battery is actually 6000+ laptop batteries in series, with a special cooling system). Anyway, I hope Tesla is successful, I understand they're next car is a sports sedan ala 528/540 BMW, the performace difference being the battery pack size (wattage).
Batteries have already started getting way better... a company has launched batteries which charge 90% in less than five minutes... if these batteries find their way into cars then the big problem of range and charging times will all but vanish.
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." George W. Bush—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
psych0hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
autokisser
AF Newbie

Here is the Latest Tesla Models of Electric Roadster

Hope that you will find the info and photos useful.

autokisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
LameBMX
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetrial
Batteries will improve, and it’s also interesting to note that Tesla admits that performance will fall off as the battery ages (BTW, the battery is actually 6000+ laptop batteries in series, with a special cooling system).
Well I was impressed with the companies concept and car (never got to drive one) and now I am so far impressed with their policies if they somewhat openly admit the performance drop. I understand electricity some and would have expected the performace to diminish with the batteries, but not everyone would know and expect that.

Unfortunately people in the warmer climates will see the batteries degrade faster due to heat being a big enemy of lithuim ion based batteries. Does anyone know if there will be some sort of provision for the occaisional trickly charge, while lithuim batteries suffer the effects a lot less the concept behind power cycling applies to any rechargable battery array.
LameBMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
canfield
AF Newbie

Does anyone know the official price of this beauty?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #10
mreed8
AF Newbie

pretty much $100,000. Maybe low 90's after government incentives.

i live near the dealership here in santa monica. it's nice to dream whenever i roll on by. it's such a smooth-looking car.
mreed8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:36 AM   #11
my94baby
AF Newbie

I admit it, I'm a wee bit jealous.

On the other hand, my top speed is about 65, so this would be wasted on me. They are beautiful though. They are like the anti-Hummer.

So, for what it's worth, there are way fewer libertarians in the Saturn forum.

One poster spoke of converted Datsuns. Can any car be made electric?
my94baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:25 AM   #12
COVSUB
AF Newbie

100% electric -- COOL !!!
Old 12-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
Torch
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by my94baby
One poster spoke of converted Datsuns. Can any car be made electric?
Well, that is a matter of money and how far you want to be able to drive the car.

The heavier the car the harder it takes to get it to move and therefore uses up the battery power more quickly and therefore shortens the distance the car is able to drive before the batteries go dead, having a car that can only travel 7 miles before dying would not be very popular, that is why you commonly find Datsuns and other small light imported cars being converted to electric.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
BoB393
AF Newbie

She really is a beauty!
Now there is a 4 door that also looks great!
BoB393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #15
drfostes@gmail.com
AF Newbie

i found too many contracdictions
drfostes@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Tesla Motors > Roadster